Faulty Wii? Hardware issues?

shelldrake said:
Hi
Did you get a reply for this. I have a very similar problem. Our Wii is about 2 weeks old and being performing great. This morning I was trying to play Wii Sports and the controller will not work inside any of the games, i.e. it will not swing a racket, bat or club or bowl. Everything else is fine, the pointer will allow you to select games and channels etc. Also in Big Brain Academy the pointer is upside down!!!

Any ideas?

W.
One of the first things I would do is to make sure that my wii sensor bar is set and positioned correctly. The second thing I would do is go into the wii settings and adjust the wii remote sensitivity level to a higher setting. I would advise to try doing these two things and see if that corrects your problem.

I'm having an issue I am a little concerned about. My Wii started making a fair amount of noise sometimes when the disc was spinning and it was oriented vertically.

I have since set it down horizontally and the noise has stopped, but that leaves less surface area exposed and inhibits cooling. I've read the threads about overheated GPU's and don't want to have to deal with that. I even turned off WiiConnect24 because I noticed that made the unit stay hot too.

I guess my question is what do you think about the Wii cooling station? I looked at one online and it seems to attach the the back of the console so I don't think there would be any problem using it with the system oriented horizontally.

Any thoughts?

Twiik said:
I'm having an issue I am a little concerned about. My Wii started making a fair amount of noise sometimes when the disc was spinning and it was oriented vertically.

I have since set it down horizontally and the noise has stopped, but that leaves less surface area exposed and inhibits cooling. I've read the threads about overheated GPU's and don't want to have to deal with that. I even turned off WiiConnect24 because I noticed that made the unit stay hot too.

I guess my question is what do you think about the Wii cooling station? I looked at one online and it seems to attach the the back of the console so I don't think there would be any problem using it with the system oriented horizontally.

Any thoughts?
Since replacing my wii console in Jan of 07 because of an overheated GPU, I have used a cooling fan and have not had any over heating problems since. I also have always set my console in the vertical position. If I were you I would set it back in the vertical position and see if it repeats the noise you experienced. If it does, I would contact Nintendo and see if it warrants sending it in for repair or replacment. I feel that these things are to expensive to just sit and hope all is well. Good Luck.

P.S. My wii console also makes the typical drive loading noise when playing wii game disk.

Last edited:
Dtov said:
I would advise trying the Lithiums, if those drain in one day then I would say that you have an issue with that one controller. Does this happen with any of your other wii controllers?

No i bought a new one and it works fine, just a problem with the old one.

HELP!!! it used to work on AV2(Video)....

Last night I wanted to play Guitar Hero III again, so I turned my TV to "AV2(Video)" and turned on my Wii. The Wii powered up sp I waited for my TV to show the Wii menu. I got nothing. So I checked and re-checked all the wires and made sure everything was hooked up correctly. Still nothing. So I took the Wii and all the cords to a different room with on old 20inch Sony "tube" TV. I hooked it up and the Wii came right up with no problems at all.

So I went back to my 50" Visio Plasma and hooked it back up, made sure all of the connections were in the right place. This time I hooked it up to AV1(Video) port. I even got my handy flashlight out and made sure I got the yellow in the yellow port, the white in the white port and the red in the red port. I made sure they were nice and tight.

So then I turned on the TV, made sure it was on AV1(Video) and then turned on my Wii. The Wii acts like it's doing something, but the TV just says, "No Signal".

This Will has worked on this plasma for about 8-9 months and I've never had a problem until now. Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Gregg
Winchester, VA

Gregg89 said:
Last night I wanted to play Guitar Hero III again, so I turned my TV to "AV2(Video)" and turned on my Wii. The Wii powered up sp I waited for my TV to show the Wii menu. I got nothing. So I checked and re-checked all the wires and made sure everything was hooked up correctly. Still nothing. So I took the Wii and all the cords to a different room with on old 20inch Sony "tube" TV. I hooked it up and the Wii came right up with no problems at all.

So I went back to my 50" Visio Plasma and hooked it back up, made sure all of the connections were in the right place. This time I hooked it up to AV1(Video) port. I even got my handy flashlight out and made sure I got the yellow in the yellow port, the white in the white port and the red in the red port. I made sure they were nice and tight.

So then I turned on the TV, made sure it was on AV1(Video) and then turned on my Wii. The Wii acts like it's doing something, but the TV just says, "No Signal".

This Will has worked on this plasma for about 8-9 months and I've never had a problem until now. Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Gregg
Winchester, VA
I don't think you have a problem with your wii console and I doubt you have a problem with your set so I do have some suggestions for you. But first, it sounds like you own a nice HDTV and you are wanting to use the composit (red, yellow, white) cables that came with your Wii console correct? From what I have seen, most HDTV's offer at least one AV Out port and one AV In port for standard def composit cables. Are you sure that you are plugging the wii composit cables into the correct AV In port?

Most HDTV's are starting to offer more component and HDMI ports for 480p (wii), 780i, 780p, 1080i and 1080p Hi Def viewing and at least one S-Video and composit port for standard resolution (480i).

Since you own a nice HDTV, I would make sure that you are not trying to plug into the AV Out port but into the AV In port. I would also look into purchasing some component cables (around $20.on up) so that you can experience the wii's best picture resolution (480p). Once you purchase your component cables (5 connectors - red, wht, pink, blue, green) be sure to connect them into your sets component ports and then make sure to set your wii settings to 480p and your wii screen settings to widescreen.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
MY WII is two days old and it keeps freezing in wii sports with a buzzing sound. It has happened 8 -10 TIMES and we have moved it to another telly and it is still doing any help would be useful as i have tried most fault finding but might have missed something. Thank you

Dtov said:
One of the first things I would do is to make sure that my wii sensor bar is set and positioned correctly. The second thing I would do is go into the wii settings and adjust the wii remote sensitivity level to a higher setting. I would advise to try doing these two things and see if that corrects your problem.

Thanks DTOV
I should have mentioned (it was late and I was tired of reboots, resets etc) that I was pretty sure the sensor bar was OK, because the nunchuck was working OK - I would could box with one hand. I had also tried adjusting the sensitivity as you suggest.

Anyway I have since purchased a new controller and it works fine (found one of the few in the state). I will return the other one for a refund or replacement.

Cheers
Wes.

I'm having trouble with my Wii itself. It started about a month ago, I noticed a quiet ticking sound whenever a disc sped up inside the Wii. Since then, it's slowly grown, and now it sounds like a buzz-saw whenever any disc is inserted. I'm scared that my Wii might break soon, so I've stopped using it. Changing the position or angle of the Wii doesn't help, either.

Any help?

freezing wii

After 2 hours of play I became the newest freeze up customer. After contacting nintendo about this they agreed to REPAIR it. Don't think so.After explaining it was only 2 hours old I asked to speak to a supervisor. At this time he agreed to sent me a NEW unit. It took about 10 days start to finnish as Nintendo only has one plant that makes wii's for the entire U.S. and Canada. This new one works perfectly fine now. Funny they also told me this is the first time they have heard of this issue. I told them to read some forums in thier spare time as there are pages of simmilar issues. Scince then I have heard of 3 separate freezing issues in my town alone of only 115000. people. Excuses they recieved include the component cables cause overheating to machine thus causing freezing and of course this is the first time they have heard of this problem.

the wii mote problem is very common. this thread is defiantly useful for many wii owners.

S-video out not working

Hi

I have an ntsc wii an d apparently they support s-video output but when i plugged in a svideo cable there is no signal. I looked into the wii settings and can find nothing to change to s video out ?

Should it work automatically ?? or do I need to change something on the wii. The cable I have runs the normal video cable out too which does work when plugged in !! obviuosly not at the same time as the s-video one :lol:

Drive Failed

Just had my drive fail - on Thursday.

Wouldn't read disks, "black screened" on me. Inserting a disk you could hear the disk not spin up, and a clicking sound (not very loud but you could hear it clearly).

(Nintendo are already replacing it and I must say they were very quick to offer up fixes!)

My Wii Freezes When I Go To The Wii Menu. The Only Way It Will Work Is If I Put It On Maintence Mode Befor I Turn It On And I Still Cant Go On The Message Board Then. Plus After Im Done A Game And I Go Back To The Wii Menu It Will Freeze Again. I Think Everytime I Get Mail In The Message Board It Freezes. And When I Turn It Off It Goes To A Red Light, Is That Bad, Should I Call Nentindo???

I bought a Wii a few weeks back and the system and everything works fine, but when you try to put a game in it freezes on the startup menu. Does this for both Wii Sports and Sonic & The Secret Rings, and even some Gamecube games. Does it everytime.

I purchased some NES Mario games on the Virtual Console and those work fine, as do old school Sonic games on my Sonic Mega Collection Gamecube disc. Just about anything with better graphics freezes immediately.

I'm thinking I just got a faulty unit, but wanted to see if anyone else is having similar problems first.

Back