Gaming PC or Laptop

Celestial

WiiChat Member
Feb 13, 2007
London, England
Wii Online Code
3049-9371-2306-9680
Well, I really wanted to see how good PC gaming is, but I don't wanna spend so much on building a PC... So can anyone show me some that will run games such as Gears of War PC smoothly?

Celestial said:
Well, I really wanted to see how good PC gaming is, but I don't wanna spend so much on building a PC... So can anyone show me some that will run games such as Gears of War PC smoothly?

You really need to locate people who have your same idea of smoothness (or explain it in more detail). Personally, I'm perfectly happy running Oblivion on a (very outdated) amd3500+ (single core), ati9600pro 256mb, 2gig RAM on appropriate settings on a 15" CRT. Other Oblivion fans would claw their eyes out if exposed to this setup, but to me, it runs smoothly.

You'd also probably get better feedback somewhere like motherboards.org. They have a specific forum for hardware recommendations and another for gaming.

Well I don't mean with the highest performance, but I want something that'll run new games without stopping every second...

My laptop specs are:
Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2400 @ 1.83GHz 987MHz, 512mb of RAM (Might be upgraded to 2GB)

Will that mostly likely be able to run Gears of War for PC on a low quality?

No offence but that laptop would chug running things from 3-4 years ago. :\

Desktop PCs are far better for PC Gaming, a PC that could run GoW for PC smoothly would need a pretty decent graphics card (a 7 series nVidia I think. Like a 7600, 7800.), a Dual Core processor and atleast a GB of Ram. That sort of rig is very affordable, atleast where I am costs less than a PS3 :p

Try out www.tomshardware.com to get an idea of what you might want - they have all sorts of charts that place a variety of parts on the market against each other in comparisons.

Well it looks like I'm gonna need to get a PC...

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 GHz 4Mb Cache,
2Gb Corsair Memory DDR 800,
160GB SATA Hard Drive,
X-Cruiser Black,
Colors 550Watt Silent Upgrade,
320Mb Nvidia 8800GTS graphics card DX10,
QC - ASUS P5N-ESLI 1333fsb-DDR800x4 SLI motherboard (Dual graphics),
18X DVD+/-RW (Samsung),
19Inch Hanns.g. Multimedia TFT DVI,
105 UK standard Keyboard Black or Cream,
Creative Sound Blaster Live 7.1 Sound Card,
Trust SP-6210 Speakers,
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premiem (OEM),

Is this good for £1000?

JT. said:
If you want a good PC for gaming, then get an alienware PC.
oh god no. alienware is WAY overpriced and dont offer any support for their systems. they make you contact the manufacture of the part that is bad. you could build your own PC that is better than an alienware and spend much less. they want almost $2,600 for a PC that is only SLIGHTLY better than the one Celestial is plaining on building. major ripoff

bmurray91 said:
pc's are MUCH cheaper if u build them yourself
FALSE!! they are if you are building TOP spec machines, not just one that can run gears of war.

Celestial said:
Well it looks like I'm gonna need to get a PC...

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 GHz 4Mb Cache,
2Gb Corsair Memory DDR 800,
160GB SATA Hard Drive,
X-Cruiser Black,
Colors 550Watt Silent Upgrade,
320Mb Nvidia 8800GTS graphics card DX10,
QC - ASUS P5N-ESLI 1333fsb-DDR800x4 SLI motherboard (Dual graphics),
18X DVD+/-RW (Samsung),
19Inch Hanns.g. Multimedia TFT DVI,
105 UK standard Keyboard Black or Cream,
Creative Sound Blaster Live 7.1 Sound Card,
Trust SP-6210 Speakers,
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premiem (OEM),

Is this good for £1000?
thats rubbish.
do you actually need a 7.1 sound card? When your getting a 5.1 surround sound speaker system which i have to say looks ver much under par for 5.1.
19" monitor? bigger the better.
hdd is a bit small..
you can get pretty much the same system, with 500GB hdd, 22" monitor and a 512mb graphics card from dell for like £300 less.

Last edited:
Oh... Can someone show me an example of a cheap one that will run it well?

Gaz said:
FALSE!! they are if you are building TOP spec machines, not just one that can run gears of war.

That, and if you build a year+ out of date. If you buy new low-to-mid end, the builds are usually wrong and you have to upgrade ram or sum such to get to where you need to go anyway, but upgrading (so you keep XP, your old case, monitor, drives) with an eye towards the value point you can get a better system than the low-to-mid stuff on the shelf for the money.

There are a lot of great retail PC deals out there, and it is tough to out do them, but if you're willing to shop around and research, it can be done.

if you dont want to build your pc then buy the best possible dell XPS. gaming PCs are way cheaper and better than gaming laptops. in order to get a good gaming pc you must buy parts that wont come in handy until 2-5 years down the road.

if you buy a pc built by some big company you are paying for labor as well as parts so building it yourself would be cheaper

bmurray91 said:
if you buy a pc built by some big company you are paying for labor as well as parts so building it yourself would be cheaper
They buy there hardware in bulk, thus there hardware costs are infact less than what your paying for.

Back