Help! 360 game for my hubby for xmas?

jeanniepep

Old Lady Noob
Nov 8, 2007
Wii Online Code
6515-5205-9862-4856
I have just learned that we are getting an Xbox 360 for Christmas! Yay!! It's supposed to be for both me and my husband, but I'm sure he will play it more as I am quite retarded at gaming (plus I have a Wii which they'll need a crowbar to pry me away from).

I think we are getting the Pro Value Bundle with Forza 2 and Marvel Alliance, so at least there will be some games to try out, but I want to get my husband something totally cool and fun to play.

I was thinking GHIII or Rock Band, but he really likes the looks of the new guitar that is coming out at the end of January (the one with control buttons at the base of the neck, for rocking out real hard). So, I might want to wait on that one. Also he is still playing GHI and II on the PS2 so that might tide him over for a few weeks.

His favorite games are Madden and NHL, but he already has the '08 versions for PS2, so should I get one for the 360 too or just wait til the '09s come out? Are the 360 versions cool enough to own on both systems?

He also likes FPS games though we both totaly suck at them - we both die within the first 15 minutes of RE4 on the Wii. Still, the ones for 360 look amazing! I am especially intrigued by BioShock and The Orange Box (Half Life 2). He does like war games but I H-A-T-E those so he's on his own for Call of Duty or anything like that. I am kinda thinking an FPS might be the best gift though, cuz at least that would be something new that he doesn't already play all day on the PS2.

One more note: we DO NOT have highspeed internet at home, so online gaming is not possible on a regular basis. He travels a lot for work so he can go online in hotels, but it's not something he can do regularly so we need something that is really fun offline.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

If your husband would rather have the guitar that comes out in January then I suggest you wait for that.

The Orange Box is awesome and will keep you entertained for a long while. Also Bioshock looked awesome, I only played the demo and haven't bought the full game yet but it looked brilliant, and most people I've spoken to about it loved it. (Tis scary though >.<)

COD4 is a really good game, you might not like that type but you seem pretty open minded to trying out new ones so give it a go really, it's amazing. The most obvious game to suggest also is Halo 3, it is short but I really enjoyed it, was a lot of fun.

Can't really comment on much else, Command and Conquer 3 is a really enjoyable game if your into that type of games. I picked up Tomb Raider and Crackdown yesterday but haven't even opened the cases yet, (been moving house AGAIN raghr kicked out) but I'll be able to give a decent opinion on those by the end of the week probabaly, or I'm sure someone else on here could.

There's loads of other people on here who can tell you much more than I can lol, I've only had my 360 for about 2-3 weeks, but I have played the games I've mentioned so I'm not just making this stuff up lol. Good luck ^_^

UPDATE: turns out it is NOT the Pro Value Bundle but a system w/ no games that we're getting. So, a driving game may be back on the table.

I was just at the store and found an old Xbox game featuring classic Tecmo Bowl, so I got him that - but I still need to get him something GOOD with really "wow" graphics and fun gameplay. I saw a demo of COD3 playing (old demo!) and the graphics were really great . . . I just have a thing with war games; I'm not going to stop him from playing them cuz he's a grown man, but I really don't like to buy them myself.

I wish someplace would show a good demo of Bioshock!! I can't look at them online and it sounds super cool, just with I could see it before forking over $60!

GET NHL 08 FOR 360!!!! TRUST ME IT IS WORTH IT, you can use the right analog stick to deke and shoot, its so awesome, and im pretty sure this feature is not in the ps2 version. not positive though.

EDIT: if youre on a budget you might want to rent nhl and then let him decide if he wants the 360 version but if the ps2 doesnt have the Skill Stick feature, i would get it if i were him.

Thank you! That is very helpful to know. He LOVES hockey so much and is really looking forward to the better graphics on the Xbox. I'm not really on a HUGE budget but I can get him a couple of games (especially since my folks are footing the bill for the system itself!). Maybe I can find a used copy of NHL 08 since it's been out a little longer, and still get a shooter too.

Just out of curiousity, I was looking at some other games that I know won't be AS good but still look like fun. Namely, Dead or Alive Xtreme (or any other version) and Dead Rising? Those are both pretty cheap but look like some silly fun. We're really into Katamari on the PS2 but I hear the Xbox 360 version is not even as good, so maybe not that, unless you guys say otherwise.

i dont have a 360 (my roomie does) but if i did i would definitely get dead rising. not sure if its two player though. basically youre trapped in a mall with zombies and you can use anything and everything as a weapon. dead or alive i'm not sure, youd have to ask someone who is into fighting games. you could check reviews at ign. www.ign.com that is what i and a lot of people on here use.

PS how do i get my girlfriend to buy me video games for holidays or anniversaries?! she says they're too impersonal, then she gets me like a t shirt. i think shes getting me dog tags for christmas which i told her i probably wouldnt wear, unless they say something really awesome and weird on them. if anyone on here remotely knows me they know i would never ever wear dog tags ;(

jeanniepep, men seem to love Dead Rising, if you think he'd like that silly side of the game then go for it lol.

samXcor3 - Well what I do is buy the boyfriend something he'd enjoy like some games or w/e and then something 'awww sweet', and he usually does for me too.

So like.. if you tell her you're getting her something she'd use like a DVD or w/e, and then something sweet and 'personal' then suggest that you could both do that. You don't have to fork out the cash to get each other loads of stuff, romantic gifts sell from £5-£500, it just depends on your budget.

PM me if you need to talk anymore about it =]

Jenniepep,

It seems like your biggest concern for which game is the NO BROADBAND Internet problem. 360 games tend to rely heavily on the "Internet Gaming" concept. I would be careful about why people suggest certain games as most people don't differentiate between a good/great 360 LOCAL game and a good/great 360 Internet game.

I tend to base mine opinions on local as even though I love Internet gaming, I suck at it with the 360 controller. I play most of my online gaming with my PC where I can use my mouse/keyboard.

Even though I don't like it, I have to agree most men love Dead Rising. My son and his friends still have it in their collection. Amazing since he's bought/resold about 30 games over the past year.

For "mostly" local gaming I suggest Oblivion, Quake 4, Orange Box (Portal is Awsome, HL2 is GREAT, not a fan of TF2 as it can't compare with the original Team Fortress Classic on PC), Halo2 (better store than Halo3) and last but not least - Crackdown and Earth Defense Force 2017.

Crackdown and EDF2017 are both games you can buy used for less than $20us each. They are ADDICTIVE so he might ignore you too much, but it you REALLY love him you'll accept that :) (just kidding, no not really, my wife got annoyed with me when I got crackdown).

Crackdown is single player on the console, co-op via system link (two consoles on the same local network) and co-up on xBoxLive.

EDF2017 supports split-screen co-op mode. Little know game. Think Aliens attacking the earth and they use giant insects and killer robots. You have to kill them all.

COD4, easy controls and gameplay..i also suggest Crackdown its a fun grand theft auto type game, except your character grows and gets stronger, really really fun, and i think its like $30 now! good luck with your system, have a blast

I love sports games myself and own Madden and Tiger Woods. I would pick up Madden '08 for the Xbox, since '09 won't be out until August at the earliest. If he likes golf Tiger Woods '08 is also a solid game. The graphics are pretty good in both games. As for FPS, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Halo 3... I'm not a big online gamer, so those games keep me entertained w/o going online.

Also - the Need for Speed series are pretty good too, and great graphics.

Thanks so much! I didn't get a notification of all these replies, or I would have visited the site much sooner!

I actually was considering Dead Rising . . . perhaps it is not too late. We both love zombie movies and thought that one looked cool! I really appreciate all the suggestions!

Here's what I wound up getting so far: BioShock, NHL 08, Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 (I know it's supposed to be crappy, but it was cheap used and good for a laugh), and old Tecmo Bowl for original Xbox. Oh, also an Xbox magazine with a demo disc so he can try some other stuff. I'm seriously wanting Dead Rising now though! I bet I can find a used copy! Orange Box is still really intriguing me too, I'll keep an eye out for that as well. I guess I can't get him EVERYTHING, he'll want to pick out a few for himself. I asked my brother for Best Buy gift cards so there we go! He's also gonna want a music game, so maybe Rock Band or GHIII for Valentine's Day? Rock Band would be good - I get him a guitar, he gets me a microphone, and it's nonstop fun!

I know he's going to want Madden 08 eventually, but this should keep him busy (maybe not til August, but you never know). Also he has Tiger Woods 08 for the Wii and really likes the controls on that so he may not be playing golf on other systems for a while.

What is Crackdown? I'll have to look that up! We do have a Gamefly membership so maybe he can rent that and see if he likes it (they usually have a "keep it" option if you can't bear to send it back). I have the queue stocked with Wii games right now but I suppose I could let him rent a 360 game or two while I obsess about my MySims town star rating.

I don't know what to tell ya SamXcor3, I like getting my hubby stuff that I know he will enjoy! He works hard and deserves a little fun, and I'd rather have him home in his jammies shooting pretend zombies than out at the bar! I was the one who "made" him get a PS2 back a few yrs ago cuz the PC games kept messing up my normal PC activities, and we love our consoles now. I'm not very good at gaming, but there are a few I enjoy with him (Karaoke Revolution + beer = FUN). Then again, sometimes I have to gently encourage him to go play some games when I just wanna watch America's Next Top Model, LOL! A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!

In Crackdown you play a "law enforcement agent". Think Dirty Harry with major firepower and body armor and then you have a huge city to clean up.

Skills grow based on use. So the more you shoot things, the better you get a hitting them and do more damage. The more you jump and climb the sides of buildings, the higher/farther you can jump.

Great game, lots of fun, not a lot of thought required (something I like since I have to think to much for work).

Back