How did nintendo come up with the name "wii"

2 reasons:

1) everyone can pronounce it...everyone.
2) Wii (two ii's) indicate multiplayer, which is what the wii is trying to promote.

Name

The console was known by the code name of "Revolution" until April 27, 2006, immediately prior to E3.[8] According to the Nintendo Style Guide, the name "is simply Wii, not Nintendo Wii." This means it is the first home console Nintendo has marketed outside of Japan without the company name featured in its trademark. While "Wiis" is a commonly used pluralization of the console, Nintendo has stated that the official plural form is "Wii systems" or "Wii consoles."[9] Nintendo spells "Wii" with two lower-case "i" characters meant to resemble two people standing side by side, representing players gathering together, as well as to represent the console's controllers.[10] The company has given many reasons for this choice of name since the announcement; however, the most well known is:

Wii sounds like 'we', which emphasizes that the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii

Name

The console was known by the code name of "Revolution" until April 27, 2006, immediately prior to E3.[8] According to the Nintendo Style Guide, the name "is simply Wii, not Nintendo Wii." This means it is the first home console Nintendo has marketed outside of Japan without the company name featured in its trademark. While "Wiis" is a commonly used pluralization of the console, Nintendo has stated that the official plural form is "Wii systems" or "Wii consoles."[9] Nintendo spells "Wii" with two lower-case "i" characters meant to resemble two people standing side by side, representing players gathering together, as well as to represent the console's controllers.[10] The company has given many reasons for this choice of name since the announcement; however, the most well known is:

Wii sounds like 'we', which emphasizes that the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii

Thats off wikipedia heres the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii#Name

sorry double post
how stupid am i!!!!!!!!!!!!
***goes and kicks himself****

Last edited:
and how did the sell the wii in frace? if u said "i'm gonna play the wii" to a french person they'd think you said, "i'm gonna play the yes" theyd confuse yes with wii.
lol

perhaps wii is the only sound a baby can say, and since they market towards kids first and foremost, they want something the youngest child can pronounce.

Also the i in Japanese is pronounced like an E. Wi is pronounced we, ki is pronounced key etc so wii would be pronounced like wee not we..Longer e sound.
Tina Kuroda

Back