The name "Wii"?

Gewtin

Banned
Jul 20, 2006
Why is it called "Wii"? Thats a dumb name the revolution would have been way better. Well I guess all those kids can shout "WEEEEEEEEE!!!!" with excitement when they buy the "Wii".

i heared it was because wii is like we which supports nitendos idea of making the wii an everyone system for all ages. think-"wii all play"
yeah revolution was better!:p

Here is the official reason they changed it to Wii:
Nintendo said:
Wii will break down that wall that separates video game players from everybody else.

Wii will put people more in touch with their games … and each other. But you’re probably asking: What does the name mean?

Wii sounds like “we,” which emphasizes this console is for everyone.
Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.
Sounds like fun, eh?

The name got on my nerves for awhile, but then I grew to like the new and different console title. And also there are alot of puns that can go along with it.:)

(Buying a Wii at the store)
You: "Hey, I would like to purchase a Nintendo Wii"
Store clerk: "If you buy two, you can get Wii Wii." *laughs*
You: "Just give me the damn console."

martini178 said:
lmao lol.. i love it ..
thanks. when i go to stores to pre-order my wii, i ask if i can pre-order the "next nintendo console". but they usually say no. still trying to find somewhere that i can pre-order it...

OH MY GOSH, YOU GUYS HAVE TO HEAR THIS PODCAST ABOUT WII'S NAME!!!!

It's origin is said in the first 5-10min and has something to do with playground equipment; that's all I'm giving ya. I would really recomend listening to the whole thing because it's fun to hear how everyone reacted to the name when it was first announced.

Whether you love or hate IGN, just download the file by clicking the Wii-k in Review, 4.28.06 link on the web page and enjoy!:lol:

note: I would have posted the file here, but it's an mp3 file, so it wouldn't let me.

Last edited:
truly what is in a name, the playstation 2 is just called ps2, not to mention playstation come on that had a few cracks about it when it first came out, and the x-box I know a few jokes that circulated on this one that were much worse than ...
... well maybe not worse but about the same.

Nobody liked the name "Google" or "Blockbuster" or "Disney" and they all became huge multi-million dollar companies. New names always seem weird at first and it's natural because you're not used to hearing it. Wii is supposed to be about bringing gamers together. We and not Me. The ii is supposed to be two people. I think it's a very clever marketing strategy. I think you'll find that it'll grow on you as did the other very famous, countless names we know today.

Mr_Stoukaph said:
isnt the "ii" supposed to stand for the wiimote and the nunchuck?

It stands for lots of things, but if you look on the box it looks like two bodies with heads :) That's what it's meant for, It's like a double meaning of We and the two people

If you look at my banner, you will see a phrase that has been used by folks at the big N.

Back