Why did they name...

wii/project revoloution

The wii was going to be called revoloution but it got changed to wii as in we can all play, the two i's symbilise people playing or something along those lines.

revoloution is sort of a typical name but in a way the name wii was innovative and brave step forward?

I do believe the "i" symbols also depict the remotes. Look at early commericials for the Wii and you will see the "i" symbols hitting a tennins ball and all the other things that basically come in Wii Sports. Revolution was also used to codename the new technology to be used. If you look on the bottom of your controller or anyother other Wii accessory, you'll notice RVL-xxx. The RVL is Revolution because the new technology was to be revolutionary. They simply codenamed the prototype based on the belief of the new technology.

hm... a year after the name change and still this question.

What consoles KEPT the codename? that's a better question.

WiiZero said:
The console was known by the code name of "Revolution" until April 27, 2006, immediately prior to E3. According to the Nintendo Style Guide, the name "is simply Wii, not Nintendo Wii." This means it is the first home console Nintendo has marketed outside of Japan without the company name featured in its trademark. While "Wiis" is a commonly used pluralization of the console, Nintendo has stated that the official plural form is "Wii systems" or "Wii consoles."Nintendo spells "Wii" with two lower-case "i" characters meant to resemble two people standing side by side, representing players gathering together, as well as to represent the console's controllers. The company has given many reasons for this choice of name since the announcement; however, the most well known is:
“ Wii sounds like 'we', which emphasizes that the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.”
Despite Nintendo's justification for the name, some game developers and members of the press initially reacted negatively towards the change. They preferred "Revolution" over "Wii" and expressed fear "that the name would convey a continued sense of 'kidiness' to the console. "The BBC reported the day after the name was announced that "a long list of puerile jokes, based on the name," had appeared on the Internet. Reggie Fils-Aime acknowledged the initial reaction and further explained the change:
“ Revolution as a name is not ideal; it's long, and in some cultures, it's hard to pronounce. So we wanted something that was short, to the point, easy to pronounce, and distinctive. That's how 'Wii,' as a console name, was created.”
Nintendo defended its choice of "Wii" over "Revolution" and responded to critics of the name by stating: "live with it, sleep with it, eat with it, move along with it."

Damn, I think we all got owned by WiiZero's post lol

Brawny said:
OR he just copy pasted it...

He did, it's almost exactly the same if not the same as what's in the wikipedia wii page.

Either way, it still answers the question...

Brawny said:

Hmm, i'll take a guess here and say Atari Jaguar?

En4Neo said:
He did, it's almost exactly the same if not the same as what's in the wikipedia wii page.

Either way, it still answers the question...

You can't argue with that, I'm saying he didn't OWN us with his pasting 5ki11z....

Brawny said:

Lol... I Can Imagine It Now...

The Nintendo Dolphin!

+Maniacal=Maniac+ said:
Lol... I Can Imagine It Now...

The Nintendo Dolphin!

I can just see the the blue transparent Dolphin cases and the animated dolphin logo for the Dolphin commercials. It'd be pretty cool, must say.

Im going to be quick and to the point i think nintendo picked wii as it is the same in every language around the world. I think :p

Back