How geek are you?

In my opinion, being a geek is so much more than what TV shows you watch.

Who's the bigger geek? The couch-potato, or the guy who reads technical manuals for pleasure? The guy who can quote ever line from Star Trek, or the guy who can take apart toasters, microwaves, and such and not just fix them but rework them to do fascinating things they were never meant to do?

sremick said:
In my opinion, being a geek is so much more than what TV shows you watch.

Who's the bigger geek? The couch-potato, or the guy who reads technical manuals for pleasure? The guy who can quote ever line from Star Trek, or the guy who can take apart toasters, microwaves, and such and not just fix them but rework them to do fascinating things they were never meant to do?

Haha, that would be like when I would goto my brothers karate class, I would bring one of my CISCO CCNA course books with me :), instead of my PSP.

Was expecting 20% or below.

Walked away with 50% D:
What the heck.

You are 22% Geek!

Be proud of your geeky awesomeness: Copy and paste the code below each badge to display your score on your blog or myspace profile.

Interesting considering I answered mostly "I have no idea"...

25% Geek. I didn't know the Star Trek or Comic questions. I should have taken a guess at more rather then saying "I have no idea". Plus using Windows and Windows Internet Explorer dosen't help. :lol:

Last edited:
nxcmp said:
Haha, that would be like when I would goto my brothers karate class, I would bring one of my CISCO CCNA course books with me :), instead of my PSP.
Hmm let's see what some of the books behind me are:

My latest: Absolute FreeBSD, 2nd edition

Just a few of the more-interesting ones...

JavaScript Bible
Advanced Assembly Language on the IBM PC
DOS Programmers Reference
C: The Complete Reference
IBM ROM BIOS Programmer's Quick Reference
An Introduction to Data Structures With Applications
Transistor Electronics
Calculus and Analytic Geometry

We won't even get into the ones in the other room...

And yes, I used to program in assembly. And Pascal, and C.

sremick said:
Hmm let's see what some of the books behind me are:

This seems like it's worthy of a stand-alone topic! Like "books by your desk" or something (not the previously done "books you recommend").

Close at hand on the ladder shelf:

Hyperspace - Michio Kaku
The Elegant Universe: Superstrings [etc] - Brian Greene

An Edge in my Voice - Harlan Ellison (Essays)

Some Camus, more Ellison...

Several development/administrative references (J2EE, C#, A/D, XML)

Some more abstract/conceptual books about design patterns, database design/normalization, UML, n-tier enterprise system architecture

A couple of graphics novels (The Crow, The Watchmen)

Huge illustrated Lord of the Rings

A few Calvin and Hobbs collections

Plus at least two 55-60 gallon tubs full of stuff that migrated from Office V1.0 to Office V2.0 - not sure they're going on shelfs, or getting stored, or tossed out...

61% I like. Not to bad for me...
With a terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side...

ANY HITCHHIKERS GUIDE FANS HERE???? TELL ME!!! That is a geeky thing I love.
I could quote all day...

56%

The book learnin' question got me; I pretty much only read online articles and newspapers. TV questions I don't do very well on, since I'm usually on the computer.

Budo said:
56%

The book learnin' question got me; I pretty much only read online articles and newspapers. TV questions I don't do very well on, since I'm usually on the computer.

I put 1-2 books a month, but it's been the same 2 for the last year, hahaha!!

Gaz said:
Oh My God I Hate Uml!!!

I'm kind of ambivalent towards it as a notation spec - the logic though, in a well designed Use Case can be pretty handy - we implemented some massive Enterprise solutions where I was one of the design architects, and the client wanted things done that way, turned out to be pretty handy. It really captures the Work Flow which consider crucial (it's not so much the data itself, but how you interact with the data in the context of your existing business procs).

If you ever want an outstanding reference: Advance Use Case Modeling - Armour & Miller is one of the definitive texts on the subject.

Last edited:
DT i guessed at a couple answers and scored a little, does that count? :)

62% Geek!

Last edited:
Speaking of architecture/design/requirments, this is a terrific take on it - this version is slightly altered, still funny:

f7d677d7.jpg

Back