I think Nintendo might have to count on there own games.

itguy07 said:
Guess I must be in the minority in that I like the "kiddy" games and I'm an adult. I'm looking forward to Mario, Zelda (just got my Wii), etc. And I even like a lot of the adult games as well (want to pick up Godfather).

Then again, I'm not a hardcore gamer - like to unwind for about an hour or so at night. The "kiddie" stuff fills that void quite well (loving Sonic) for me. I don't have to get majorly invested in it, can have fun and be entertained.

If all I wanted was FPS and "adult" games, I would have got a PS3. I like the VARIETY of the Wii. You can go from Kiddie to Adult decently now and I'm sure with the sales figures of the Wii more publishers will come in time. You can't ignore the #2 selling (total sales) next gen console for long.

Congrats on getting your Wii! It really is an awesome system and LoZ: Twilight Princess will you have so engrossed in the storyline and game its ridiculous. The game is amazing to put it simply and I hope you bought it as as first game. Now I obviously don't know you very well and all but if I were you I'd get a 360 for FPS and mainly adult games since they have a GREAT online system already in place and the console is definitely a heavy duty piece of equipment. Plus theres a new eidition coming out that is going to be really sweet from what I've read so I'd wait to hear more on that. Anyways welcome and I look forward to talking with you.

First of all, it doesn't matter how a person describes Nintendo's unique portrayal of their games whether it be "kiddie", "player friendly", or anything else. It's a stupid subject to argue over.

Many people who bought the Wii got it for the Nintendo hits (Mario, Zelda, etc). They probably make up the majority of Wii owners in fact. The problem is that those who bought the gamecube got it for the same reason and there aren't too many new fans of Nintendo games since the GC release.
As a result, 3rd party games are what's going to make Nintendo be consistantly successful in upcoming years or have a major drop off in sales and game production. The amount of 3rd party companies or even games coming out in the next year isn't what worries most non-nintendo or variety gaming wii owners including myself. It's the type of 3rd party games that are being released and the quality.

What one would hope nintendo to release:

An awesome fps and I mean really good (not half baked COD or mediocre MOH)
An awesome RPG or two (not the FF game coming out for the wii. Most FF fans aren't into that particular "style" of game)
Several fairly good sports games complete with online play and intuitive gameplay
Several good action/adventure games (LOZ was awesome, but more variety of these games perhaps)

Anyway, I think my point was made. The games we are see in the future are Mario Party 8, Mario galaxy, Paper Mario, and other Nintendo great hits along with a prince of persia port, several possibly good but risky games (No more heros, sadness, etc), and the average, mediocre 3rd party games (COD, MOH, Godfather) and more ps2 ports.

In conclusion, I love some of the Nintendo classics like ssbb and mario, but I would like to be able to choose between different kinds of games and if the few games that we have such high hopes for and are very "non-nintendo-like" flop, then Nintendo will have a hard time finding serious 3rd party games to come over.

hotpotato78 said:
my final thought is about something you said earlier...... how could 3rd party developers be scared to make games for the wii because their afraid the adult people won't buy it. WTF the only way to get the adults in to some of these games are to make adult or mature games. DuH!! 3rd party developers have the power to move this so called kiddie image you see. If they don't make games, then there will always the kiddie word for you to abuse

You are wrong. With the lackluster success of M games on the Gamecube (sans RE4), many developers are hesitant to make M games for the Wii before seeing how others fare in that niche. If upcoming games fail you will see a dropoff in mature content the likes of the Gamecube, and the Wii will regain the "kiddie" image of the past generation.

Hmmmm....

stewart01 said:
Game consoles have matured since the NES and SNES, and the games have changed. The video game changed for ever in 1992/93 when Wolf 3D was released ; a new era of gaming had started.

Wolfinstine 3D may have started the 1st gen of FPS. But DOOM brought it home. Mature games have been around even before those. (Leisure Suit Larry and NARC come to mind) I grew up playing the 1st NES Zelda and I think TP is the best Zelda yet. While I think Nintendo makes some great games, I do agree that 3rd party companies could give variety that could boost sales. With that kind of exposure and profit Nintendo could focus on making more great games.

bugmenot said:
You are wrong. With the lackluster success of M games on the Gamecube (sans RE4), many developers are hesitant to make M games for the Wii before seeing how others fare in that niche. If upcoming games fail you will see a dropoff in mature content the likes of the Gamecube, and the Wii will regain the "kiddie" image of the past generation.

anyway when its all said and done, nintendo has a better variety of games. I agree with the other person who said it is a stupid topic to agrue over because there are plenty of different games. Nobody forces people to buy mario, if you don't like it don't play it. I don't see why people can't get that through there thick skull. let me tell you why the GC was really a failure(even though it wasn't bad to the point where it was horrible). If the GC had good online play like mircosoft, plenty of the developers would have ran to nintendo but since it didnt, alot of them didn't bother

I dont see how they can be scared to make games for the game. the only way for a system to sell, is for it to have games(alot). so you all are trying to tell me that the 3rd party developers has the key to make the wii even better but they are scared? If i was a developer i would jump on the wii and try to bring something new and unique to the table and not be sitting around talking about i'm scared. I think nintendo will have a huge game library when online play is in full effect.....

hotpotato78 said:
let me tell you why the GC was really a failure(even though it wasn't bad to the point where it was horrible). If the GC had good online play like mircosoft, plenty of the developers would have ran to nintendo but since it didnt, alot of them didn't bother

No... online play was not the Gamecube's downfall. It was the lack of third party support. That is why Playstation 2 with the best exclusives was the reigning champion despite having mediocre success (at best) with online play.

hotpotato78 said:
I dont see how they can be scared to make games for the game. the only way for a system to sell, is for it to have games(alot). so you all are trying to tell me that the 3rd party developers has the key to make the wii even better but they are scared? If i was a developer i would jump on the wii and try to bring something new and unique to the table and not be sitting around talking about i'm scared.

If developers had infinite budgets, I'm sure they would think the same thing. However, video game development is a business. Nobody wants to risk investing a bunch of money into what could be a huge flop.

bugmenot said:
No... online play was not the Gamecube's downfall. It was the lack of third party support. That is why Playstation 2 with the best exclusives was the reigning champion despite having mediocre success (at best) with online play.

obviously you didnt read what i had to say. It said that is why developers didnt run to nintendo. So anyway you look at it i'm saying that is a fault of why 3rd party developers didnt check, because most of the games that was not on the GC had online play. So no online play equal no 3rd party developers and no 3rd party developers equal a down fall.. So i am agreeing with you that nintendo do need their support but first thing first, nintendo must make sure their titles are hits.

I guess I didn't explain too clearly. Most of Playstation's biggest games did not have online play (i.e.Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy 10/12, Kingdom Hearts, Prince of Persia, GTA, God of War, and Ratchet and Clank to name very few of them), so whether or not the console has online capabilities has little to do with developers flocking away from the Gamecube.

bugmenot said:
I guess I didn't explain too clearly. Most of Playstation's biggest games did not have online play (i.e.Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy 10/12, Kingdom Hearts, Prince of Persia, GTA, God of War, and Ratchet and Clank to name very few of them), so whether or not the console has online capabilities has little to do with developers flocking away from the Gamecube.

what about Socom and other mutliplayer games, and there is a special online final fantasy for the PS2. But mainly they are one player games. But yes i believe it does have a part to do with it because it gives them more to work with. because nintendo has the better multiplayer set up........all i'm saying is the theory is a little bit dumb. the console have to have games in order for it to sell. So i don't see what is there to be scared about. But i see those games as 1st party for sony anyway because only sony really has them. especially God of War,Kingdom heart, and FF, and you can not count prince of persia in that either because the gamecube had it to.

I think that the Gamecube had problems with 3rd party support due to its disk format, not because of lack of online play.

The Wii dosent have that problem and 3rd party support looks good, even though most titles are currently ports.

As for the term 'kiddy games' i think its mostly used by kids who think that if a game doesn't have blood n guts in it then it must be 'kiddy'. I think most adults would look past graphical style and care more about gameplay rather than if a game has blood or boobs in it.

raisinghelen said:
I think that the Gamecube had problems with 3rd party support due to its disk format, not because of lack of online play.

The Wii dosent have that problem and 3rd party support looks good, even though most titles are currently ports.

As for the term 'kiddy games' i think its mostly used by kids who think that if a game doesn't have blood n guts in it then it must be 'kiddy'. I think most adults would look past graphical style and care more about gameplay rather than if a game has blood or boobs in it.

All in all it stil lack 3rd party games for more than one reason.... and your wrong, this kiddie word is use by the adults especially people who are Sony fan. Most of the adults who are in their 20's use this word to much. But yeah people who are amaze over blood and boobs are the set who use this word, so your right on that part. But most kids like nintendo 1st games.

I hate the word "kiddy" because it's thrown around so casually like "liberal", "fanboy" and "gimmick". The only games that are really "kiddy" are the ones targeted specifically for little kids (such as Dora the Explorer: The Game). Mario is not kiddy, he just appeals to a wide audience. And if you think SSB is kiddy, then there are some issues.

Nevertheless, the Wii is getting "mature" games: Prime 3, Sadness, Disaster, HAMMER, Manhunt 2, No More Heroes, and more. People stupidly assume that because Wii Sports and Wii Play sell so well, the Wii will get nothing but kiddy games and mini-games.

RedProdigy said:
I hate the word "kiddy" because it's thrown around so casually like "liberal", "fanboy" and "gimmick". The only games that are really "kiddy" are the ones targeted specifically for little kids (such as Dora the Explorer: The Game). Mario is not kiddy, he just appeals to a wide audience. And if you think SSB is kiddy, then there are some issues.

Nevertheless, the Wii is getting "mature" games: Prime 3, Sadness, Disaster, HAMMER, Manhunt 2, No More Heroes, and more. People stupidly assume that because Wii Sports and Wii Play sell so well, the Wii will get nothing but kiddy games and mini-games.

well said redprodigy...... people needs to stop assuming things. and keep that hole under their nose closed

Back