Internet on Wii

loizoskounios

WiiChat Member
Jan 6, 2007
Hello guys, I need some help here. I'm thinking of internet-ing with my Wii and I was wondering if you guys can help with, basically... everything.

Question 1:
What hardware will I need to buy ? (routers, cables and all that stuff - for cables name the cables: crossover or straight)

Question 2:
Will I actually create a LAN with sharing capabilities just like it would be with a computer to computer LAN but instead the computer will only share internet access with the wii ?

Question 3:
If I'm going to use the modem/router provided by my Internet Service Provider to create a LAN with my Wii what are the steps to enable the ports of the router (they are disabled by default I think) ? Plus I think that they won't be giving me two different IPs. Is it easy to buy a new router that has enabled switching capabilities and configure it to support your current ISP's settings ?

Lots of questions, cheers in advance.:thumbsup:

Well for one you don't need 2 different Ip addresses from your ISP. When you use a router you generally use a private address range(192.168.0.0-192.168.255.255 is class C private)and gives the devices on your network whatever IP you want to. Your "default gateway" will be the ip address assigned to the router. The router is in a sense the "gateway" to the WAN link(Internet).

As far as cables go, use the standard cat5e or cat6 ethernet straight-through cables.

Thanks but could you be more thorough ? If there was an ethernet port on the wii I know I'd get a crossover cable and setup this way. Connect it ethernet (pc) to ethernet (wii) and tada. But Wii has only got usb ports, or am I wrong ?

I searched for my title, couldn't get any results. :-/

Does anyone know the release date for the adaptor and a price estimate ?

Yeah, just found out about that. All you need is an empty usb port on your pc.
Anyone knows any websites except eBay I can get the wi-fi adaptor from ? They also have to ship worldwide. :-/

loizoskounios said:
Yeah, just found out about that. All you need is an empty usb port on your pc.
Anyone knows any websites except eBay I can get the wi-fi adaptor from ? They also have to ship worldwide. :-/

The only trouble with doing it that way is that your PC needs to be turned on in order to use your Wii online, and if you want to use the Nintendo Connect24 service, that means 24 hours a day :(

Personally, I would buy a Wireless modem router and let your Wii connect to that wirelessly. The router stays out of sight and permanently connected to the net. I use a Netgear DG834Gv3 which also gives you a built-in 4 port ethernet switch. This is, in my opinion, the best way of sharing your internet connection between Wii, PC (or PC's), Laptop, DS's, PSP's, etc..

Bear in mind though, that the DG834Gv3 has a built-in ADSL modem and won't work with cable broadband, only ADSL - the Cable versions are a different model number. You don't say what kind of net connection you have. However, you will have no problems with ports, firewalls, configurations or anything else if you take this path. If you eventually decide to "hard wire" your Wii via the ethernet adaptor when it comes out, the DG834Gv3 is ready for that too.

Last edited:
I can second that wifi adapter although i dont use it. It's a snap to setup and it works provided your wii is close enough to your PC.

I prefer the wireless network myself as I've got a notebook with a wireless adapter in it as well as a secondary pc I don't want to run a 75 foot cable to. If all you need wifi for is your Wii then by all means use that adapter. If you plan on using a notebook pc or etc then get a wifi router and you wont regret it. They are more complex to setup but all far more reliable. That wifi adapter can be modded to run anything from a wii to a pc anyhow but more trouble setting it up right.

I'll give you a router suggestion and a complete setup guide if you wish to go that route let me know. But for your case so far that wifi looks to be your ideal solution.

Goots said:
The only trouble with doing it that way is that your PC needs to be turned on in order to use your Wii online, and if you want to use the Nintendo Connect24 service, that means 24 hours a day :(

Personally, I would buy a Wireless modem router and let your Wii connect to that wirelessly. The router stays out of sight and permanently connected to the net. I use a Netgear DG834Gv3 which also gives you a built-in 4 port ethernet switch. This is, in my opinion, the best way of sharing your internet connection between Wii, PC (or PC's), Laptop, DS's, PSP's, etc..

Bear in mind though, that the DG834Gv3 has a built-in ADSL modem and won't work with cable broadband, only ADSL. However, you will haev no problems with ports, firewalls, configurations or anything else if you take this path. If you eventually decide to "hard wire" your Wii via the ethernet adaptor when it comes out, the DG834Gv3 is ready for that too.

I strongly agree with that. However not all routers simply allow a wii to plug and play. I had to turn off a few filters on mine and etc to get it to work properly. However instead of spending the same amount of money on a generic solution you could just buy a wireless router for around $50 with a little setup at first then you are ready for many other wireless devices and wired devices. The adapter is a quick and mostly painless solution though that fits the common consumer in your case. But he's right if you want to use wii connect 24 youd need to leave your pc on all the time....

mines ona ll the time anyway coz it's a server so it's good for me :) but yer for most people having it on all the time would suck and when online games come into play well ya lol

My PC is always running 24 hours a day anyway so it wouldn't be a problem.

I think I've found my solution. Wi-Fi LAN Adapter. All I have to do is buy one install the drivers and software on my PC and just run the connection setup on my wii right ? Does anyone know what's the maximum distance ?

PS: Still nothing on any website that ships it worldwide-ly ?

loizoskounios said:
My PC is always running 24 hours a day anyway so it wouldn't be a problem.

I think I've found my solution. Wi-Fi LAN Adapter. All I have to do is buy one install the drivers and software on my PC and just run the connection setup on my wii right ? Does anyone know what's the maximum distance ?

PS: Still nothing on any website that ships it worldwide-ly ?

WiFi lan adapter sounds the same as the wifi usb device. Except wired. If its CAT5 wire it can easily go 75ft without problems probably up to 100ft. BTW if your wii isnt far away from your router you may consider getting a Wii LAN adapter which would let you plug in your wii to your router directly via a cable provided you can find one. Although I don't know currency conversions [im in us] I'd assume that doing what you want to would cost as much money as buying a new router. However if your ISP's device is a modem/router you might want to go that route as sometimes without proper setup a second router can be a pain in the ass since its gotta also go through the first so both have to be configured correctly. If you just have a single modem then its no problem.

But if your goal is to get that sucker connected ASAP then by all means your solution is perfect. Regardless if thats what you want to do I suggest you do it.

Back