Internet on Wii

acphydro said:
WiFi lan adapter sounds the same as the wifi usb device. Except wired. If its CAT5 wire it can easily go 75ft without problems probably up to 100ft. BTW if your wii isnt far away from your router you may consider getting a Wii LAN adapter which would let you plug in your wii to your router directly via a cable provided you can find one. Although I don't know currency conversions [im in us] I'd assume that doing what you want to would cost as much money as buying a new router. However if your ISP's device is a modem/router you might want to go that route as sometimes without proper setup a second router can be a pain in the ass since its gotta also go through the first so both have to be configured correctly. If you just have a single modem then its no problem.

But if your goal is to get that sucker connected ASAP then by all means your solution is perfect. Regardless if thats what you want to do I suggest you do it.

Cat5e cable can be run 200-300 feet without issue in most cases.
A wireless router will give a range of 100-150 feet in most cases, but it varies a lot depending on how many walls/floors in the way, and house construction teqnique.

Just go buy a wireless router, like the Linksys Wireless-G.
Plug your cable modem/DSL into it, follow directions to setup.
Tell the Wii to search for wireless, and you are done.

Thanks for all the replies guys. You've all been very helpful.

And a last one. Is there a speed difference between the three different ways I can connect to the net with my Wii ? Theoritically the wired should as fast as the wireless router solution but I'm sceptical with the Wi-Fi solution. Would it be as fast as the other possible ways ?

Internet wise, wired or wireless should provide the same speed. A wifi connection is faster then the vast majority of cable/dsl connections in the US.
Wireless b's limit is 11mbps, but you'll more likely see 6. Wireless G is upto 54mbps, again you'll see more in the 30's.
Wired is 100mbps max, again lower in real life.
The average DSL/Cable connection is 3mbps or less, so any of them are faster then it.
Where you might notice a difference, is if you are streaming files from your home PC to the wii, or vise versa. In this case the 100mbit wired will be quickest.

Thanks for the correct specs Envy. I couldnt remember if it was 100ft or 100m for the CAT5 cable

To the OP: He is right, the speeds wont really matter unless you've got a HELL of a connection, then again as speeds increase, the download times dont go down as drastically as you might expect. Like I've been trying to say....get a good WIFI router Wireless G and be done with it.

Back