INTERNET PLAY- What is the Truth

WiiGamer99

WiiChat Member
Sep 19, 2007
I just recently started up my Wii.
Before I bought it, someone on these boards assured me the internet would work. It doesnt
What do I need?
What does it cost?
Someone please explain!!!!!!!!!!!

How does your home connection work? DSL, cable, dial up?

Is your home network ethernet or wireless?

What happens when you try to use the internet with the Wii?

Answer these and maybe you'll get some help.

The console can connect to the internet in 2 ways, via its built-in wireless connector (connecting to your home wireless network, if you have one) or via a network cable (which then cables into your home network)

Dont really know much about the cabled in method as I have a wireless network, but you would need to buy the cable (or maybe even a card) seperatly

Once your Wii has a connection to the internet, the only things you can actually do out of the box are update, then access the channels (weather, news, shop), it you want to browse the internet (UK) then you have to download the browser from the shop. Once installed it works like any internet browser, except on your TV. Dont see the point myself, but each to their own.

As for internet play, that is all controlled form the game. In the UK I think only Mario strikers has online play, but there are some great agmes coming soon thta will have multiplayer online, such as Mario kart, smash Bro's, MEO:Heroes 2.

I just recently started up my Wii.
Before I bought it, someone on these boards assured me the internet would work. It doesnt
What do I need?
What does it cost?
Someone please explain!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, the Wii can connect online. It's all up to you. You have to already have internet in your house (which i assume you already do since you're on these forums). You need to have Wi-Fi or you will need a Wii Lan Adaptor.

Read this: http://www.nintendowifi.com/global/AboutWiFi_Wii.jsp

If you live in a smaller country (like me, Iceland), then you just have to change the Country to UK (if you live in Europe... depends).

That might be the problem.

Gosh, Thanks for all the amazing help.
I live in the UK- but my Wii is from America- dunno if that confuses things
At the moment, I dont have internet at home, but will be going wireless soon.
Whenever I try to use the internet on Wii, it directs me to settings, and asks me what connection i use.
So what do I need to buy?
I dont get it

But thanks for all yur help!!!!!!!!!

You need to have an internet connection at home, and a wireless router (or the LAN adapter, but either way you need internet access at home first)

Back