is religion real ?

Religion is real
The almighty being that they believe in is as real as Superman

I think it was on QI that I heard this
Wouldn't it be annoying if you got up to heaven and your god turned over a card and it said "Bluff"
Having a single person believe in something does not mean it's true or set in stone.
I believe that Lemmy is real
I HAVE SAW HIM

I'm an atheist myself, because I've yet to see any good evidence for the existence of a God.

Many scientists believe in religion including Stephen Hawking, who by the way is higher than a genius.
Who told you that? Hawking is a well known atheist, as are most of the prominent scientists of the past 100 years.

I believe there is a God (christianity-wise), however I don't believe in all the 'stories' in the bible, or at least the way they've been written. It just seems as though a bloke named Jesus was done the pub once, and thought it'd be a good idea to write a story about how great he was and distribute it to people.
However, I'm not one of those 'rule abiding/church going/bible reading' christians, I just believe there is a God who created the basis of everything, and that there is an afterlife - that's pretty much it really.
I used to be sure when I was younger, but because I use logic in EVERYTHING, and there's nothing scientifically logical about this situation, it makes me a bit skeptical; though I continue to believe.
I mean, my grandparents were such strong Christians (ironically 9 years ago my G-dad died today, much love) that I refuse to believe that they haven't gone to heaven, y'know?
So yeah, I recon religion is very much based on hope. You see people who have had their families killed or whatever, and they get through it as they turn to religion.
Is religion real? I couldn't say. Is religion a bad thing? It most circumstances, **** no.

I can't imagine a computer being made by just putting all the elements in a box and then shaking it until it becomes a fully operational computer!

The same go's for lifeforms,

I don't believe any life form can be made by random attachment of molecular small cells.

Instead its more obvious that an engineer(someone who knows how the parts work and what they are) puts all the elements/parts in the right place for the computer to even work. Design(pen&paper:code's & form), knowledge(What&how), understanding(Rules&process follow), creative(mouse,screen,keyboard,...),...!

The complexity of any lifeforms or element we know of and not know of is certainly not a random collisions of cells or evolution in time. And more proves that there is One God = Intelligent Designer Who made everything and knows how it all works.

Which will get me to your question Is religion real?

There are true and false religions.

True: religion that believes in on creator of all
Fals: man-made statues as gods, multi gods, Greek gods, Sun, stars or moon or mountains, etc....

When you read the bible or the koran, you understand that what is written there isn't written by men themselves, there's just now way men can think or Wright that way.

People are free to chose what they want, and I respect that. But everyone must respect basic rules to keep everything in line! starting with the 10 commands

Last edited:
I'm strong atheist so no I believe no religions are right. It's not as if I haven't seen the other side of the card, my parents are both believers and I went to a Roman Catholic school for 7 years, I even got confirmed...

However when I started thinking for myself and not what others had forced upon me, I went straight to Atheism ;)

Is religion real? Hell yes. Is God real? It's debateable.

When you read the bible or the koran, you understand that what is written there isn't written by men themselves, there's just now way men can think or Wright that way.

I must say, that's the strongest incentive I have to cling onto my religion. When reading through the Bible, I read the parables that we take for granted as the grounds for morality in this day and age- but for the time, they were revolutionary. In my opinion, most of the parables cannot be a product of men.

As for atheism? I've got no problem. I absoloutely do not want to convert any atheists to my point of view. All I'll say is if they're right, we both loose. But if I'm right? Then I win.

I'm not sure if I would be considered an atheist or agnostic. IMO, the definition of religion is a way to explain that which can not be explained or proven. Myself, I don't think there is a God, heaven, hell, or an afterlife. When you are gone, it's total darkness and life is over. This is why I think religion is a positive thing. It helps people deal with the unpleasant facts of life. Which is where I differ from atheists. I don't have a problem with religion at all. People are free to believe anyway they wish. And if someone tells me I will go to hell for the way I think, it doesn't bother me because IMO there is no hell. Where I do get upset is people, such as radical Islam, that push their beliefs on others and kill those who don't believe as they do. They think there should be no freedom of thought. Unfortunately religion can bring out the worst in people also. It's true more wars have been fought over religion than anything else, and that is sad, but, again, it's a reality that we have to deal with. All in all, I believe religion is a good thing, it helps people accept the harsh realities of life, it's the foundation of our laws and morality, and puts forth a guideline that provides quality of life and understanding of things that we otherwise can not explain.

I'm an Atheist, and I'm not afraid of the afterlife. When I die, I die. I'll cease to feel or think. So, instead of worrying about what's going to happen to me when I'm dead, I'm going to enjoy life now.

By the way, I'm donating my body to science. No maggots in the ground for me. ;)

People are free to chose what they want, and I respect that. But everyone must respect basic rules to keep everything in line! starting with the 10 commands

Do you honestly think everyone should follow your religion's moral system? Or do you think morality originated from religion? I laugh at that notion.

Fals: man-made statues as gods, multi gods, Greek gods, Sun, stars or moon or mountains, etc....
What? So, any religion that hasn't been proven to be false is true?

You listed theists that believed in multiple gods to be false? You do realize Hinduism is a polytheistic religion? How is polytheism any different from monotheism ( Despite the fact one is for multiple gods and one is for one god)

I'm an Atheist, and I'm not afraid of the afterlife. When I die, I die. I'll cease to feel or think. So, instead of worrying about what's going to happen to me when I'm dead, I'm going to enjoy life now.

Sometimes I think about that, what if when I die everything just goes black. I mean most people can't comprehend that when they die they lose all thoughts, sights, sounds, and feelings. It's a scary thing when you thing about it. It's hard to explain, but I guess that is the way my brain thinks. I think there is some kind of after life, but who decides who gets in.

What do you guys think happens when we die?

Last edited:
Looks like alot of you misunderstood his question, yeah.. Religion exists, but some religions have true causes for peace.. while others are just plain scams.

Any poetic genius with a very active and deep imagination could write the bible. Even though it is an incredibly silly book filled with fairy tales.

And I ask you, why is none of that silly hoopla that happened in the bible, happening today?.. Because stuff like that doesn't happen, and it never did.

BlueWhistler said:

The ten commandments.. Ya know, I wonder why God gave us 10, I mean.. He gave the British 13, gave the Germans 29, the Belgians have 25, and the Swedish have only 6. Why? Hell, some people don't have any rights at all. And here I thought God loved each and everyone of us equally and unconditionally.. what kind of ****ed up god-given deal is that?

Some Divine Planning, makes me think of human planning, one group of people trying to control another group.. Rights aren't rights if someone can take them away, that's all those 10 commandments are... a bill of temporary privileges that people can take away and give to.

And all due to your God giving us all freedom of choice, without immediate consequence by his hand.. No wonder he let Hitler run wild, and the long run of slavery and racism, with the addition of all the other terrible bullshit in the world.

lbu8 said:
What do you guys think happens when we die?

We rot in the ground, and bring a terrible smell to the soil.

Last edited:
There are true and false religions.

Why are polytheistic religions false? They have as much credibilty as monotheism.

Actually I don't understand. Anyone can come up with a story if they have some imagination. And besides, they were written by people (Matthew, John, Muhammed, etc.). In fact the Bible has four separate accounts of the life of Jesus- why bother writing the same story four times if it's written by one God?

Thank you, but I have my own moral standards.

As for atheism? I've got no problem. I absoloutely do not want to convert any atheists to my point of view. All I'll say is if they're right, we both loose. But if I'm right? Then I win.
I wouldn't exactly call it a loss if atheism is right, since that means we won't consciousness to care about it after death.

Back