Just bought myself an HDTV.

D1nner said:
I read that 1080i produces a better picture but a slower production time compared to the 720p.

720p= has inferior picture but faster picture load (better for video games that have alot of movement on the screen).

Regardless, the difference isn't GREAT.

So I honestly don't worry about it on my 360.

But back to the topic of the Wii.

It was a VERY noticeable difference when I plugged in the component cables....very.

:lol:

50inch Sony HD LCD
Sony Surround sound system
Intec component cables (they came in a 30-40$, 10-in-1 kit)

I'm all set.

(BTW, I hate Sony but they were gifts.)

Okay, guys, I'm new to this whole thing so please keep it simple. I just got a 40", 120mhz, 1080p, Samsung HDTV with gaming mode. I switched the settings on the Wii and got component cables. I see jaggies and pixelation. I've only looked at Zelda: Twilight Princess because that's what I'm playing at the moment but, to be frank, I'm disappointed. Will the newer games coming out look like this as well? In-other-words, can the games improve in picture quality for HDTV users or is the Wii not capable of improvement?

Hey [DT], what's your opinion on 3rd party wii component cables vs the licensed cables? I know for standard A/V usage there's a difference among analog cables (outside of crap overpriced monster cables). For digital, DVI and HDMI, the general consensus on avs is that you can be fairly safe getting cheap ones on monoprice since they're digital. I think the rationale is that digital operation is fairly binary...either it works or it doesn't.

ICandy: Hmm, I would guess it's because your new TV is 1080p and the Wii's running at 720x480p. This means that the image has pixels added to it so that it fits the 1920x1080 native resolution of the LCD panel.

It could be that the "gaming mode" (don't know what that really does) is messing with the image.

Does your TV have different modes like zoom, stretch, 1:1, etc.? If so, try those different modes and see if the image looks better.

I don't play Zelda much but I don't remember jaggy lines on my 55" HD-RPTV. But it's CRT based not LCD/DLP.

Thanks, I appreciate the response, strommsarnac. The TV has everything imaginable on it as far as different settings. Gaming mode shouldn't have anything to do with the overall picture quality. It mainly helps with lag and if some screens are too dark or too light, etc. I just hate having to change my settings for every game I want to play. That's either something I'll have to get over OR I could sit farther from the TV and take my glasses off while playing. THAT would fix the whole issue! LOL

I have a sorted history with cabling/interconnect :lol:

At the height of my audiophilism, I was doing things like spending huge $$$ on PC-Squared speaker cables and buying my own XLO pure copper connectors, etc. Sorry that wasn't an answer, just sort of chuckling at myself.

Our Wii component is a 3rd party (and a mysterious one at that, hahaha) - $8.95 special from one of the companies where I get blank media. Seems fine, no interference, no sych or audio issues.

Your interpretation of A vs. D is pretty much right on - in slightly more detail: a signal would have to be pretty severely degraded to show as the opposite value in a bit stream (and I believe there's a fairly high tolerance between the two states) and/or the checksum to fail.

Analog uses a range of voltage levels so the smallest amount of distortion from interference will change the voltage level by a little bit, there's no checksum, and so a change is simply interpreted as the actual value (from out of range to shifts in color).

Distortion can result from improper shielding, excessive resistance, bad solder on connectors, etc., so I imagine *if* the cheaper cables lack those, it could make a difference. I've gotten some inexpensive cables that were SOLID in construction, had clean solder work and had incredibly low/clean resistance as verified by a multi-meter.

Thanks for the help guys!

I would like to have my Wii and my Xbox plugged into my TV simultaneously. I have the component cables for both, but I only have one set of component sockets on my TV.

Is there a component splitter I could plug them both in, or an HDMI cable for the Xbox 360 (Pro, not elite).

Yes to both. There are quite a few component switch boxes on the market. Most 4 input (that means 4 in to 1 out) go for about $100us.

Also, madcatz makes a HDMI cable for for 360's which don't have an HDMI port. It's about $50us. Not sure if it lets the 360 output true 1080p though.

strommsarnac said:
Yes to both. There are quite a few component switch boxes on the market. Most 4 input (that means 4 in to 1 out) go for about $100us.

Also, madcatz makes a HDMI cable for for 360's which don't have an HDMI port. It's about $50us. Not sure if it lets the 360 output true 1080p though.
I only need 720p

Will a US cable work on a UK console/TV?

FRuMMaGe!!! $24 automatic component switch at WalMart made by Phillips. I use it, it's awesome. Switches audio too. That thing from Amazon is a manual switch.

Back