Just got a Wii... what else do I need to buy?

Evi1Jake

WiiChat Member
Feb 13, 2008
Palmyra, NY
Wii Online Code
3870-0784-4232-7736
I just ordered a Wii and should get it in a few days. I only got the entry level Wii, not extras with it. That being said, what do I need or what should I get? Do I need to get a specific Wii SD card or is there any internal memory?

uh, i think you need some games. and mabye the nyko perfect shot for some shooting games. . . Uh. . . . yeah, you just need to buy some games. . . it has memory. . yeah. . .

you can use any sd card. you will need wiimotes and nunchuks. and games to play.

OK, maybe I need to be more specific... Other than games (thanks balrogs.pa, I never imagined that I would need games)... what hidden things do I need to buy that I wouldn't think of at first? I've had Xboxs and they have hidden costs just to play games or watch dvds and I'm looking to get around that for the wii.

Also, if I need games, what is good? I have Gamefly and should have two games on the way (the Zelda game and the new Mario game) and should arrive around the same time Amazon ships my Wii.

you should get medal of honor heroes 2 (but for that to be good u need a wii zapper and an internet connection) and the upcoming super smash brothers brawl. u dont have to pay for internet play like xbox live

also get rechargeable batteries, u will need them.
look into getting MiNh batteries they last longer.

~X

You will want wii points card (For buying classic games online)
Wii classic controller (Or gamecube controller)
Extra wiimote and nunchuk
An sd card (Unless you have one)
And get guitar hero!

Evi1Jake said:
OK, maybe I need to be more specific... Other than games (thanks balrogs.pa, I never imagined that I would need games)... what hidden things do I need to buy that I wouldn't think of at first? I've had Xboxs and they have hidden costs just to play games or watch dvds and I'm looking to get around that for the wii.

Also, if I need games, what is good? I have Gamefly and should have two games on the way (the Zelda game and the new Mario game) and should arrive around the same time Amazon ships my Wii.
your welcome. and "Hidden things" There are no hidden things when you buy a console. if you mean ONLINE then yes you will need to connect your wii to your router (wirelessly or with an ethernet controller) and yes games and dvds cost money. . .

The internet channel is great.
Maybe a wireless router, if you need it.

Games:
Super Mario Galaxy
Zelda Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3
Guitar Hero 3
Medal of Honor Heroes 2 (if you have internet access)

balrogs.pa said:
your welcome. and "Hidden things" There are no hidden things when you buy a console. if you mean ONLINE then yes you will need to connect your wii to your router (wirelessly or with an ethernet controller) and yes games and dvds cost money. . .

I think by hidden things as in the xbox360
you know how there is a load of stuff the core missed out on and such

Evi1Jake said:
Some things that come to mind:
  • Rechargeable NiMH AA batteries, and a good charger: http://www.thomas-distributing.com/
  • Silicone remote/nunchuk covers to make them easier to hold (and different colors make it easy to tell them apart)
  • S-Video or component cables for a better-quality if your TV system supports it (Wii only comes with composite cables)
  • Carying case if you think you might like to take your gear to other peoples' houses
  • Extra remotes so you can have 4 total (the max) for party games like Wii Sports, Mario Party, etc. You only really need 2 nunchuks though for current party games (this could change)
  • SD card for backing up your save games and Virtual Console downloads (any brand will do, 2GB max though, don't get SDHC)
  • A Wii points card so you can download the internet channel (500 points, $5) and a few VC games
  • Classic controller if you think you'll be playing a lot of VC games
  • USB LAN adapter if you want to avoid having to set up wireless.
  • Wireless router/access-point if you want do go wireless and don't already have one

Apple Guy said:
I think by hidden things as in the xbox360
you know how there is a load of stuff the core missed out on and such

and with the original xbox you had to buy a remote in order to play dvds at all. Come to think of it, does the wii play dvds? Other than that, thanks all for the helpful posts.

Back