What do I need to buy?

Snowsride

WiiChat Member
Jul 19, 2011
UK
I am going to buy a Wii for my grandchildren to use when they visit - they are aged 3 - 6 - but I'm sure the adults will use it as well so I need to get the appropriate bits so everyone can use it . Can I have some advice as to which of the components I need?

I would like two people to be able to use the device at a time so I guess it will need two nunchuks but what is the motion plus device? Do I need these as well or are they used instead of nunchuks in which case I guess I'd need two of these? Also what about the remote device do I need that as well and if so do I need two of them?

What about the racing car game - 'Mario Kart'? - what do I need for that? Is the dance game any good?

Any guidance appreciated.

Regards

The Motion Plus is an optional accessory that improves on the motion-tracking capabilities of the Wii. Supposedly, some games require them, but the only one I've actually heard of hasn't been released yet.
In order for two people to play at a time, you will indeed need two Wii Remotes and two Nunchuks for the games that require them. You may also want to look into buying two Classic Controllers. The Wii has the ability to actually download games that were released on previous systems, and the Classic Controller is the most widely used controller on these games.
I have no idea about the dancing game, but Mario Kart is a good game for all Wii owners. It used to come bundled with a Wii Wheel, which was an accessory in the shape of a steering wheel that you could insert the Wii Remote into to improve on gameplay. It's entirely optional if you want to get that.

I am going to buy a Wii for my grandchildren to use when they visit - they are aged 3 - 6 - but I'm sure the adults will use it as well so I need to get the appropriate bits so everyone can use it . Can I have some advice as to which of the components I need?

I would like two people to be able to use the device at a time so I guess it will need two nunchuks but what is the motion plus device? Do I need these as well or are they used instead of nunchuks in which case I guess I'd need two of these? Also what about the remote device do I need that as well and if so do I need two of them?

What about the racing car game - 'Mario Kart'? - what do I need for that? Is the dance game any good?

Any guidance appreciated.

Regards
You will need a Wiimote for each person (Up to 4)
The "Nunchuck" attachment for each person. Not all games use it.

Mario Kart wise, you can get a steering wheel addon that does seem to add some fun to it. These are really cheap
Games wise this link will help

Thanks for advice to DPrinny and Volcarona.

Re. the Classic Controller - would I need one for each player or just one device for all?

Thanks

The Classic controller is not really needed.

Its used mostly for Virtual Console games. No Wii games are made just for it

The Motion Plus is an optional accessory that improves on the motion-tracking capabilities of the Wii. Supposedly, some games require them, but the only one I've actually heard of hasn't been released yet.

You've heard of few games then. :lol:

To further elaborate on the Wii Motion Plus, it is indeed an accessory used to enhance the Wii Remote's motion controls (one per Wii Remote), but it does not work for games not designed for it. Games that use the Motion Plus always require it for the game to be played as well, far as I know. However, there are many more games that don't use the Wii Motion Plus than those that do.

If a video game does require the Wii Motion Plus, it will state this on at least one side of the game's box.

Sorry to say Volcarona, but I'm standing with Prinny in regards to the Classic Controller.

I found Classic Controllers online (Amazon) fairly cheaply -- and had to buy one because the Virtual Console game I downloaded required it and won't play with the Wii remote. (You plug the Classic Controller into the Wii remote.)

The Wii I bought recently (also from Amazon) was about $150 and came with 1 Wii remote, 1 nunchuk, Mario Kart game, and 1 wheel for Mario Kart. I've since bough another remote, another nunchuk, the classic controller, and another wheel. All fairly cheap online.

I also decided to buy a second sensor bar, A/V cable, and A/C adapter for the second room we'll be using the Wii in. Again, fairly cheap online, and now all we have to move is the actual Wii console from one room to the other in order to play. MUCH easier than moving all the cables and the sensor bar.

When you purchase games (either through the Virtual Console/Wii Shop Channel once you set up the Wii or in regular boxes/discs separately), just be sure to check what's required for each game. I've found that the racing type games like Mario Kart are great for all ages and great for groups. So is Wii Sports -- easy, intuitive, and fun in groups.

The Wii will already come with 1 Wii remote and 1 nunchuck. So if you would like 2 people to play at a time you would have to buy another Wii remote and another nunchuck. The Wii Motion Plus device is an optional accessory that enhances the motion tracking signal supposedly making it more accurate. It is attached onto the Wii remote and only a few games actually make the Wii motion plus mandatory to use. Like the other user above suggested, the Wii Classic controller is also a good option. Although it is better to just use a regular Wii remote and nunchuck on retailed games, most games from the Wii Shop (Pre-installed in the Wii) will have a wide selection of games that have been transferred from previous generation consoles that can be bought and played on the Wii. Those games usually require a Classic Controller. But for starters. The Wii remote and nunchuck is all you really need.

A few games I suggest getting them are:

- Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- New Super Mario Bros.
- Mario Kart Wii (It comes with a wheel to put your Wii controller in. It only comes with one so if both kids want one you can buy an extra wheel separately)
- Just Dance 2 (It only requires a Wii remote and nunchuck for each player)

A helpful tip: If you are unsure what devices different games require, look on the back cover of the game and on the top right corner it will show icons of what type of controllers you need.

I've never seen a need for the classic controller. The only reason to buy that is if you don't feel like moving one day.

Back