Just Got my Wii from HK!

uniquexme

WiiChat Member
May 4, 2007
guys, i just bought my wii (USA version) from HK. i was told that it contained wiikey, but may i know how should i check with it so that i will not be conned? coz rite now, i only have a game that comes with it Wii sport, as for the backup copy, still haven't got it. oso, after i bought the wii, i walk around, and heard that some1 is asking if the wii has been updated to 2.2J version, then last nite, i play with my wii, found that its only 2.0, so may i know whats the difference between these firmware? can we update the firmware ourself? will it cause the wiikey to stop functioning? thanks.

I bet you have a Japanese version set for english with a clone WiiKey.
Before playing any other games, original or not find the true region of your console.
Do you have an internet connection at home? If so I suggest connecting your Wii to it and allowing it to download the latest update to it so that new games like Super Paper Mario or Mario Strikers don't auto patch and damage your system.
I don't think a changelog exists for the different version of firmware. There is speculation but its hard to find that info.
The firmware updates are unable to detect or modify the function of the modchips and most likely never will. Nintendo implemented a hardware change recently to prevent casual modders from installing their own chips.

Edit: If the information I found is correct then the 2.0 update came out late last year and added parental controls to the different channels (WiiConnect24, Internet Channel, News Channel, and Shop Channel).
I cant find what 2.1 or 2.2 did yet. I do know that 2.1 was contained on the SPM disc and 2.2 is on the Strikers disc.

Edit2: From Wii Linux Wiki
April 11 2007

* Notified via WiiMail from Nintendo
o Internet Channel (final release) picture attached
o An update button was on the mail
* Adds more Parental Control options, Internet Channel
* Adds Internet Channel Support (actual channel downloaded via Wii Shop Channel)
* Firmware: Version 2.2U

February 14 2007

o Everybody Votes Picture Attached
o An Update button was on the mail
* Adds More Parental Controls options, Everybody Votes Channel
* Adds More Regional Settings
* Adds Everybody Votes Channel Support (actual channel downloaded via Wii Shop Channel)
* Firmware: Version 2.00U

January 26 2007 (America)

o News Channel Picture Attached
o An Update button was on the mail
* Adds: More Parental Control Options, News Channel.
* Adds: News Channel to the Wii Menu
* Firmware: Version 2.00U

Realize these are only the US firmware dates/changes/versions. Other regions do not necessarily match.

Last edited:
hmm, coz they told me that USA English Version is more expensive by USD120 than Japanese Version, i choose the english one, but the Wii sports that comes with it is written NTSC USA Version. hmm, so i have doubt in my set. so its safe to upgrade the firmware off wii itself tru internet then. oh yah, i was told that this USA version can only play NTSC games? so no PAL games from me? thanks.

Downloading updates from the internet has always been the safest option. Once you have 2.2 then you are okay with any games released to date.
Yes you should be able to play most PAL games.
Ill see if there is a way to tell the region from the outward appearance.

Edit: What are the first few characters of your serial?

Last edited:
but i remember last nite, i check firmware is 2.0 (without U or J), yes it has parental control. hmm, how come the shop owner says can only play NTSC games, wierd. tats y i need to get a copy of backup to see if there is really a modchip inside.

Okay here. Check your serial numbers

LE = Europe
LU = United States
LJ = Japan
LA = ??? (australia or asia?)

Update your Wii from the internet and make sure you have 2.2 before trying any other games! There is an ISO of Mario Strikers labeled as NTSC but its actually a patched PAL game from Europe that can damage your Wii if its still 2.0!

You should be able to see if it has been opened or not. Usually the warrenty sticker is broken/removed or looks tamperd with or something?

uniq.... so, you got us or jap? if us, you can see english menu, jap, japanese menu.

modded if you can play backup games... sure if that includs pal (euro version)

Both US and Jap versions are widely available in HK. So when the OP said US version, I'll trust him. The US version is slightly more expensive than Jap version in HK. If one can fool their customer, they will sell all as US version at the higher price. :yesnod:
I suggest the OP to check the hacken.cc forum. You won't get too much mod chip information in this forum. By the way, the hacken forum is in chinese and I assume you can read it too. :wink:

Last edited:
yes US version, coz i checked again it says 2.0U.

so i have to update the firmware to 2.2, before i play backup games? hmm, need to find a wifi to do that coz i dun have wifi at home. oh btw, if i bring to my office, but no wifi, just USB Modem, can i hooked up to my wii? does the wii has built-in Wifi? sorry for asking coz i just got my wii. thanks.

It does have built-in WiFi but you'll need an access point to be connected to. Did you get it at 188 or Golden?

Hey ciper, LA is aussie (checked mine and im in New Zealand) Just thought youd like the info

Almo said:
Hey ciper, LA is aussie (checked mine and im in New Zealand) Just thought you'd like the info
Thanks Almo :)

uniquexme said:
yes US version, coz i checked again it says 2.0U
If you are ABSOLUTELY sure its US version (double check your serial number) then you can update the console to version 2.1 with USA VERSION ONLY Super Paper Mario. Personally I'd try to get it online to be safe. I don't think any USA games with update version 2.2 exist yet.

i got it from Golden at Sham Shui Pou, coz i asked around my frenz, they said its gamers' heaven. keke. i oso went to Mong kok PC center, and a building just behind KWS. price roughly the same lor. haha..... BUT 1 very wierd thing is that they are all saying that there is no Genuine Wii, only "water" ones. keke....

now i understand, USA version only 2.1U is the latest, but i dun think i will upgrade it, since i will have to bring my wii to somewhere with wifi. haha... oh yah, can some1 enlighten me why is that playing downloaded games w/o updating firmware will cause damage to the console??

m having hard time downloading wii games, since they are 4GB, and u know lah, Malaysia broadband sucks, super slow. we only have 1MB, while in HK, and other area, already 10-100MB rite? hmm. i think i will go grab some "ahem" ones. haha, really can't wait, coz so tired after playing Wii Sports.

oh, just want to say thanks to everyone here who help me out. have a nice Wii Day!!!!!!!!

Back