LOST Season 5

Not to mention the fact that Ben "couldn't" kill him even when he was right in front of him for some reason.

I'm going for one of two reasons:

1. They are each others constants.
2. They simply can't, as the rules of time travel indicate that you can't alter anything. So killing one another would ultimately change something, which would probably be anti-beneficial (lol at my lack of remembering words) in some way. Maybe similar to how Michael couldn't be killed (although I can't remember if that was explained or not).

They got killed though. Widmore's life would be guaranteed as the natural path of time can't change.

Not all were killed, but now looking at some screen shots, the name labels were visible on all three and none were "Widmore" or "Charles".

Guys, I've been reading some reviews of some of the people who screen the show, and apparently this upcoming episode is well...the best ever. They said it received the highest rating of any episode so far on their scale, and it reveals some of the main plot secrets an shifting the shows direction. Apparently this major episode is the 3rd of the season, and I believe that is this week's episode. A normal episode is big so a big Episodes on LOST must be really something.

Any thoughts as to what these influential show-changing secrets being revealed might be?

I don't understand how they could reveal so much in just an hour! I seriously wish that every episode was like three hours. It's always too short no matter what :(

Guys, I've been reading some reviews of some of the people who screen the show, and apparently this upcoming episode is well...the best ever. They said it received the highest rating of any episode so far on their scale, and it reveals some of the main plot secrets an shifting the shows direction. Apparently this major episode is the 3rd of the season, and I believe that is this week's episode. A normal episode is big so a big Episodes on LOST must be really something.

Any thoughts as to what these influential show-changing secrets being revealed might be?

Advance Reviews and LOST don't mix very well. I read one from IGN and I regretted it the moment I actually watched the episode when it aired. For one, anticipation and deducing every detail when finally watching is half of the fun with LOST, and two, it's nigh-impossible to NOT spoil the episode in a spoiler-free review. So many times IGN said stuff like "let's just say it involves a person we haven't seen in awhile" or "something crazy happens to Hurley but we won't say it", when that is still spoiling us on what kind of situations will occur in the episode!

Anyway, if it's as big as my all-time favorites (The Constant [S4], The Pilot [S1], Flashes Before Your Eyes [S4], and Through The Looking Glass [S3]), I'll be in Heaven-on-Earth for about an hour.

As far as show-changing secrets go, I'm willing to bet money that we will know a whole lot more about Dharma. It's no coincidence that we've seen the most intimate look at The Dharma Initiative in the entire show in the opening scenes of the premiere episode.

Other elements I hope get touched on are the whereabouts of Claire, the situation behind Christian Shepherd, and the Whispers. I'd like to know more about the Black Smoke Monster, but it's been pure entertainment to see the thing run around, scare the living poo out of everyone, and leave without any revelation to its nature.

Last edited:
I don't know that there's much to discuss about the whispers. I'm pretty sure the whispers are supposed to be the Others whispering to each other in the jungle, as they usually are a prelude to appearances of Others, particularly when they're about to attack (which, you need to communicate with one another to plan an attack, thus the whispering).

And remember that fence thing for the Smoke Monster? Did that episode conclude that Ben could control it? I forget.

The Whispers have endured long after The Others were the main antagonists, though. Jack and Juliet and (maybe) Kate and Michael heard them in Season 4. Also, The Whispers were more than just preludes to The Others. They also habitually occur immediately before "manifestations" like Christian Shephard or Libby show up and they also mysteriously come through in audio devices (recall Kate's phone before she picks it up, in Michael's car before he tries to kill himself in a car crash, and more). I doubt these voices will be explained in the next episode, but I'd like to at least know more of them sometime before the show ends.

As far as the Smoke Monster is concerned, that fence and what seemed to be Ben's "summoning" of it after going into his hidden room makes me think that we're at least supposed to "believe" he can control it to some extent.

Last edited:
My friend reversed the whispers that prelude Walt's appearance before Shannon dies in Season 2, and apparently they sound like him saying "Where is Michael?"
I'd like to see what some other ones say.

I hope that quick allusion to Libby means they will explain a bit more of her story soon.
I get the horrible feeling they're not going to bother with that storyline again. We've been waiting since season 2 for some sort of explanation, but we stll have absolutely nothing.

I second Napalmbrain's notion.

GigaRidley, when in the jungle, The Whispers usually talk amongst themselves about the person/people in the scene, as if they are more aware of their situation than they or the viewers do. They will also sometimes foresee or warn the person of impending danger. Interestingly, there's a woman among the voices who is empathetic to the 815ers and wants her and the other voices to reveal themselves.

As the show has progressed, though the Whispers have grown more mysterious saying things like "Ben, you're my prisoner, and you're mine" and chiming in through audio devices (in the show) both on and off the Island saying things like "The Island needs you. You must go back before it's too late". Sometimes deceased Islanders seem to be among them as well. Here are the Whispers Transcripts.

Last edited:
I second Napalmbrain's notion.

GigaRidley, when in the jungle, The Whispers usually talk amongst themselves about the person/people in the scene, as if they are more aware of their situation than they or the viewers do. They will also sometimes foresee or warn the person of impending danger. Interestingly, there's a woman among the voices who is empathetic to the 815ers and wants her and the other voices to reveal themselves.

As the show has progressed, though the Whispers have grown more mysterious saying things like "Ben, you're my prisoner, and you're mine" and chiming in through audio devices (in the show) both on and off the Island saying things like "The Island needs you. You must go back before it's too late". Sometimes deceased Islanders seem to be among them as well. Here are the Whispers Transcripts.
I've always thought the Whispers were from dead people. Supporting this is the fact that Miles the "ghost buster" can seemingly understand them (see the episode in the season 4 where he somehow knows where Rousseau and Karl were buried).

Personally, I'm quite happy to go along with the Time Loop Theory. That would explain the smoke monster as being time's way of correcting itself to preserve fate. And the Whispers are 'half-dead' people (dead in one time but alive in another, or something), so they can still communicate, and can be used by time to tell people what to do, in order to again preserve fate.

Just read the Whisper Transcripts... very interesting...
It seems to suggest that at least some of the visions of people on the island are not really them at all, but rather the Whispers revealing themselves (This is most noticeable during Ben and his "mother's" talk on the island, as one of the says "tell him you're his mother". Also in that conversation, demonic laughter is heard, along with, "You are my prisoner, Ben."
Jacob, anyone?

Back