Madeleine's Case

No, its not because she's english, it's because she is a little girl that got kidnapped out of the hotel room in a foreign country.

Whys the point in telling every one to tone it down?

If all your family got killed you'd want police help and for people to help you and make a big thing.

Lay off maddie.

Well if they were dead then the police investigation would be over :)

WIN!

The fact that she could be alive is why it's still in the papers. And to be quite frank with you all this internet petition bullshit won't help the police

Wii_Smurf said:
Well if they were dead then the police investigation would be over :)

WIN!

The fact that she could be alive is why it's still in the papers. And to be quite frank with you all this internet petition bullshit won't help the police

Its a reward for anyone who could find maddie >.<

No, its not because she's english, it's because she is a little girl that got kidnapped out of the hotel room in a foreign country.
UNICEF, the United Nations Children's Fund, says millions of children each year are bought, sold or kidnapped into slavery. Another international aid group, Save the Children, says more than 120,000 girls and young women, some as young as eight years old, have been forced to take an active role in armed conflicts, many of them in Africa.

Shockingly, none of this is in the paper at all. Ever. Yet the case of one English girl has dominated the news for the last week. It's a tragic thing to have happened, sure, but I just find it sick that the media only cares about English speaking tragedies.

Whys the point in telling every one to tone it down?
I'm not asking people to tone down; I simply think people should reaslise that the problem is much bigger than this one single case and perhaps focus their efforts on doing something more meaningful.

If all your family got killed you'd want police help and for people to help you and make a big thing.
This is a kidknapping case so congratulations on your out of context remark. You are right, though, I would want the Police to help because that's their job - I wouldn't want the press to hype it for weeks of news coverage, though, because unlike most people I have a much wider view of the world. This kidknap should have been reported - but not for hour upon hour of news coverage about things which have barely changed. When something important happens then they should report it but, otherwise, get on with other news.

Lay off maddie.
I wasn't laying into Maddie; I just think people should appreciate the wider picture and focus more on the problem instead of the symptoms.

Like I said - it is tragic when people are kidknapped but this stuff happens all over the world and it's that which people should get into a big huff about. Not single cases. Single cases are for the Police to solve.

Griever said:
A kid got kidknapped, that's definately a bad thing, but the fact is everyone is hyping up as if it is something which is uncommon. It's not uncommon, it's not special and - frankly - the only reason anyone cares is because this girl speaks English and not some other language.

So, yeah, you call me sick all you want, I'm not the one ignoring the reality of the situation. I'd rather be a sick realist than an idealist who really needs to take off the rose-tinted glasses.

I agree, if she weren't white or something I doubt this would become such a big deal.

Whats the point of bringing her skin colour it this?

Anyone in the uk remember how the news covered quite a lot of those black teens that got murdered?

:wtf:

God forbid somebody actually cares about a small girls life..

I can't see how colour comes into this but whatever.

I hope shes found okay, as unlikely as its seeming at the moment...my thoughts are with the family who are suffering.

Whats the point of bringing her skin colour it this?

Anyone in the uk remember how the news covered quite a lot of those black teens that got murdered?
I didn't; I said "English speaking". Unless, of course, this wasn't aimed at me.

God forbid somebody actually cares about a small girls life..
God forbid someone see the wider picture and care about millions of lifes instead of just one ;o

Griever said:
I didn't; I said "English speaking". Unless, of course, this wasn't aimed at me.

God forbid someone see the wider picture and care about millions of lifes instead of just one ;o

I aimed at en4neo because he said if the child was black no one would care.

It's not like she's the only one missing in the world, there are tons of children missing and nobody's making such a big deal about them, they just show their pictures in amber alerts and all...what's up with that!?

Don't any of you think that things like this could actually raise awareness of how many kids get kidnapped.

Remember Damilola Taylor, Wiki link if you don't know

His story raised the awareness of colored people being bullied and all that...

Oh and yes, the press did write about it and *shock* he was black..

Yes, yes, every life is special. But, if Madeleine had a heart attack and died that would not hit the news, and none of us would know about it. Yes, I feel sympathy towards them, their daughter is missing which is the worst thing that could possibly happen to their family.

However, Britain DO seem to care about BRITAIN. Take the plane crash in Cameroon:

Five Britons were on board an aircraft which crashed in southern Cameroon today, the airline involved said.

Air traffic controllers lost contact with the Kenya Airways Boeing 737-800, which was carrying 105 passengers, eight crew members and a flight engineer, shortly after take-off.

The aircraft came down near the town of Niete in southern Cameroon just after midnight.

A spokeswoman for Kenya Airways in Nairobi confirmed that there were five Britons on board, but could not immediately give any more details.

Does it matter that Britons were on board? A LOT OF OTHER PEOPLE WERE. This is the point Griever's trying to make, she's getting noticed because she's british, the wider picture being that there's suffering and tonnes of people dying every day.

Back