Miyamoto: WM Plus > Natal > Sony's prototype

bruceleroy

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
http://kotaku.com/5281311/miyamoto-laughs-kinda-at-other-motion-control-projects

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8080698.stm

I guess Nintendo has played around w/ Natal and Sony's prototype before, since they've been messing around motion control for the 5-6 years now, but Nintendo decided to go w/ WiiMotion Plus instead.

Nintendo is the undisputed market leader in motion controls and in the casual gaming market segment. Moreover they have a nearly 5-6 year technology lead on a market with absolutely no competition. When Sony and Microsoft will finally get there, Nintendo will simply move to the next big thing, so no danger there. I do hope that both MS and Sony makes their motion control accurate, cheap, and gain developers support or it's not worth for consumers to support it at all. I wouldn't throw $200+ on Sony or MS add-ons until I see a $h!t load of hardcore games are out for them. How long will those games take to make or are they going to be even made at all? Hopefully by that time, I still play video games.

Last edited:
IMO, it's Sony in first (since it's only a prototype, but it looks better than the Wii already) WMP in second, and Natal far into third place.

You're dreaming, kid.

Sony's prototype is not only better than Wii Motion Plus, but Sony will actually put theirs to use. Each and every one of you knows that Nintendo isn't going to (/can't) put Wii Motion Plus to work beyond Wii Sports 2 (and 3 and 4 and 5). The best you'll get is Zelda, which would be awesome, but pail in comparison to Sony applying their prototype to every first and third person shooter, adventure and other genre that they own the rights to.

Sony's prototype probably won't come out until the next generation anyway. Then we'll see how well they can implement it into their games.

I'm almost certain that they announced at E3 that it would be available Spring of 2010.

If that's the case, Nintendo isn't ahead "5-6 years," as you say, but 5-6 months.

You're dreaming, kid.

Sony's prototype is not only better than Wii Motion Plus, but Sony will actually put theirs to use. Each and every one of you knows that Nintendo isn't going to (/can't) put Wii Motion Plus to work beyond Wii Sports 2 (and 3 and 4 and 5). The best you'll get is Zelda, which would be awesome, but pail in comparison to Sony applying their prototype to every first and third person shooter, adventure and other genre that they own the rights to.

You're dreaming, kid.

Sony's prototype is not only a replica of Wii Motion Plus, but Nintendo will actually put theirs to use. Each and every one of you knows that Nintendo is going to put Wii Motion Plus to work beyond Wii Sports 2 (Zelda, No
More Heroes 2, Red Steel 2, Gladiator A.D., The Grinder). The best you'll get is Zelda, which would be awesome!!

You're dreaming, kid.

Nintendo has been utilizing the Wiimote w/ all their franchises (Mario Kart, Galaxy, Metroid, Pikmin, etc.) This means that motion control is the standard for the Wii. Will Sony make it theirs? Should it make it theirs? They have no idea. If they make it theirs, then it would alienate motion control haters which are about half of PS3 owners. If they don't make it theirs, then developers might not make games for it since it's not the standard. They don't even have a name for their motion control project yet or a final design. No price, projected release date, and no games. This thing could be for the PS4. Don't get me wrong. I have a PS3. I wish PS3 good luck w/ their motion control so I can ditch the Wii but you and I know that it's going to be tough to beat Nintendo in that department since they have the majority of the motion control fans and developers (EA: Tiger, Grand Slam...Ubisoft: Red Steel 2....Sega: Virtual Tennis) behind it already.

We obviously have different ideas of what "putting to use," means. If you think Nintendo has done a good job of implementing the Wii Remote over the past few years, then yes, by your standards, Nintendo will use it more.

But just to clarify, Red Steel 2 and Wii Sports 3 =/= MAG and Assassin's Creed 3.

EDIT: And lol at counting a Pikmin remake as something that Nintendo has been using the wii remote with in all their franchises. That's because that's the only thing they changed in that game.

But just to clarify, Red Steel 2 and Wii Sports 3 =/= MAG and Assassin's Creed 3.

EDIT: And lol at counting a Pikmin remake as something that Nintendo has been using the wii remote with in all their franchises. That's because that's the only thing they changed in that game.

Pikmin 3 is in development according to Miyamoto. Do you think it'll be controlled w/ analog sticks? And why are you comparing Red Steel 2 and Wii Sports 3 to MAG and Assassin's Creed? :confused:

I thought we were talking about motion control here.

We obviously have different ideas of what "putting to use," means. If you think Nintendo has done a good job of implementing the Wii Remote over the past few years, then yes, by your standards, Nintendo will use it more.

:thumbsup:How many times has sony put their new motion controller to use?...

hmmm lets see

project natal is microsoft soo it will prob fail :hand:

sony's protoype seems like it will be awsomme if they can get the right designe :thumbsup:

wii motion plus willl be #1 :cornut:

thats what I think

When the Wii was announced all of the Sony / Microsoft fanboys along with a large chunk of the gaming media and the Nintendo faithful ridiculed the idea of a motion sensing controller.

"What you need" they all said " is more buttons and triggers not less".

Seems now that Nintendo were right?

Whether Microsoft and/or Sony have a better product or implement it better will become apparent once it is actually released. If the products are better then they will drive the whole gaming market forward.

All the wii needs is that graphic package which will make the wiis graphic cababilitys better, and some more hardcore games and fps. But, with the conduit coming out, nintendo might start to kick arse again.

Nintendo has been utilizing the Wiimote w/ all their franchises (Mario Kart, Galaxy, Metroid, Pikmin, etc.) This means that motion control is the standard for the Wii. Will Sony make it theirs? Should it make it theirs? They have no idea. If they make it theirs, then it would alienate motion control haters which are about half of PS3 owners. If they don't make it theirs, then developers might not make games for it since it's not the standard. They don't even have a name for their motion control project yet or a final design. No price, projected release date, and no games. This thing could be for the PS4. Don't get me wrong. I have a PS3. I wish PS3 good luck w/ their motion control so I can ditch the Wii but you and I know that it's going to be tough to beat Nintendo in that department since they have the majority of the motion control fans and developers (EA: Tiger, Grand Slam...Ubisoft: Red Steel 2....Sega: Virtual Tennis) behind it already.

Seems like there are some BS examples right there. I'll give you credit for Metroid and Mario Kart, but do you call shaking the remote to spin attack in Galaxy using motion control? Lame.

And please, a new Pikmin hasn't even really come out on Wii. It just that "New Play Control" crap. Also, when you say,

Nintendo has been utilizing the Wiimote w/ all their franchises

It's a total lie. Brawl didn't implement motion control in any way, Super Paper Mario and Animal Crossing hardly did, and I'm sure there are a few others.

And no, it would be downright idiotic for Sony to make motion control standard when they usually cater towards the "hardcore" gamer. I have faith that they won't just because it wouldn't make any sense.

It seems to me like the majority of games that come out for the Wii only half implement motion controls even though it's supposed to be the biggest feature. The games to use it the best to me are Boom Blox and Metroid.

In others like Mario Strikers Charged, they kind of went half and half and it ruined a bit of the experience for me. There's no doubt it was a fun game, but just swinging the remote to hit someone seemed like a gimmick.

Back