Miyamoto: WM Plus > Natal > Sony's prototype

It doesn't matter how good Sony's purple ended rod or Microsoft's camera are unless they have a killer ap to sell them with. They need a Wii Sports and not just a cheap knock off.

Nintendo has the advantage of the Wiimote being the standard controller to start with, then putting Motion Plus with Wii Sports Resort ensures that their add on will get mass sales.

If Sony or Microsoft can't sell their motion controllers to a large percentage of the current owners then they'll risk splitting their customer base, which would result in either motion controls being tacked on to regular games as an alternative to button presses (not good) or very simple motion games being released due to a lack of sales opportunities.

Fact is that Nintendo is number 1 because they are the only company with a product that is out now, their add on has a definite date (this month). The others have prototype units which may be good and may come out this gen or not. So to say Sony/Microsoft is the best when they haven't even sold a single unit or game is ridiculous.

The main thing I've noticed about MS and Sony's prototypes, is that they both use cameras as opposed to accelerometer, gyroscopes, and bluetooth that Nintendo uses. Whether either works better is still up in the air to me. Who knows if Nintendo has experimented with cameras as well. If they have, they must have a reason for not going that route.

Sony's prototype uses accelerometers that allow the 1:1 motion control that wii M+ offers, but it's more precise because it is used in both controllers.

Almost everyone seems to be mistaking the Wii's current "shake controls (a waggle here and there to make stuff happen in game) with true 1:1 motion sensing. Wii has used this type of control for as long as sony has (meaning that they haven't used it at all).

It doesn't matter how good Sony's purple ended rod or Microsoft's camera are unless they have a killer ap to sell them with. They need a Wii Sports and not just a cheap knock off.
All it is is a game that was designed to showcase the motion controls, and it's one of the only games to date that actually uses the motion controls to their full extent.
So to say Sony/Microsoft is the best when they haven't even sold a single unit or game is ridiculous.
Let me remind you that Nintendo have not yet sold a single game or unit with motion plus either.

Almost everyone seems to be mistaking the Wii's current "shake controls (a waggle here and there to make stuff happen in game) with true 1:1 motion sensing. Wii has used this type of control for as long as sony has (meaning that they haven't used it at all).

All it is is a game that was designed to showcase the motion controls, and it's one of the only games to date that actually uses the motion controls to their full extent.

Let me remind you that Nintendo have not yet sold a single game or unit with motion plus either.

No the Wii's current controls are known not to be 1:1, that's why they have motion plus launching.

I wasn't talking about the demos at E3, I was talking for the actual launch. They need a killer ap that will grab people the same way that Wii Sports did.

Nintendo will have sold games and units today. Have Sony or Microsoft sold any yet?

I think that both Sony's and Microsoft's motion controls are destined to fail if they release them this gen. The current console owners prefer analogue controls and the new casual crowd won't want to spend out around $400+ for a new system, so that leaves very few potential buyers which would equate to them just ending up as expensive gimmicks.

All you who are talking about fan boy's, are a fan boy yourself. Seriously who cares?

All this hate on Microsoft, at least they came out with something new that might actually end up being the next step in gaming.

Last edited:
All you who are talking about fan boy's, are a fan boy yourself. Seriously who cares?

All this hate on Microsoft, at least they came out with something new that might actually end up being the next step in gaming.

People probably care because there was so much trash talked about the Wii and how stupid motion controls were, yet when Microsoft/Sony announce theirs they are hailed as being great. We've had to put up with the bashing so it's only fair to point out the hypocrisy of it all.

A lot of people seemed to be praising Natal, but then it's revealed that half of the demo was a mock up with someone controlling it backstage, which isn't so impressive. I don't see it being that new of a concept either, seems rather like an updated Eyetoy or countless other PC cameras to me.

Miyamoto, you are crazy. Sony's Wiimote is way more promising than your wii motion plus.

I think I was the only person to mention fanboys. Did you not read all of my post? I went on to say

Whether Microsoft and/or Sony have a better product or implement it better will become apparent once it is actually released. If the products are better then they will drive the whole gaming market forward.

See? Not bashing at all. I just think it's hilarious that the companies that slated the wii for having motion control are now investing in motion control. If they do it better then it's a good thing.

Back