modchip = play backedup commercial games ?

deftonesru

WiiChat Member
Jul 28, 2007
so i just got my wii today... 07 28 2007, and i got the one with the mario party and an extra wiimote.

i want to go get it modded tomarrow but i need to ask a few questions like:

is a modchip all i need to play a backed up game ?
if not what else ? sd card ? actin replay ?

what is the best modchip i should have them install ?

im not so concerned with the type of dvd media or copy/burning instructions since i know i can look that up. anyway thanks for the info !!!!

i dont like risking my wii to get modchipped unless its a very good reason. so you want one for games from japan or something like that right?

me neither dude if there is a dvd one get it no backup cuz if udont know what your dong its a HUGE WASTE of money thus voids warramty so no modchipping its a load of trouble

I've got the Wiikey, installed it about a week after I got my Wii. Works pretty good, costs me about $40. It's upgradeable via firmware, and a new update should be coming soon. Only thing is that a few gamecube games don't work with it, i.e. games with audio streaming (eternal darkness..etc). But again the upcoming firmware update should fix that. As a side note, Ridata media seems to work well for me. Memorex media sux!!

thanks so much for the replys. i brought my wii to the "place" today and ill pick it up tomarrow after class so ill post again and tell how it is. i really want it so i can run anything on it. maybe j-games, but also id like to be able to back my games up.

i prefer buying games because i get the book and case and stuff. but for 50 bucks a game you know im def looking to have a backup in case of anything.

the guy wasent in today so i have to wait till tomarrow, i asked them to install the wiikey, are there issues with any of the other chips ?

i only know of wiid and cyclowiz.
they all claim to run direct backups. i like the wiikey's updatesable firmware.

how do you update it ? just burn the img from the wiikey website on a dvd and load it up or what ?

thanks again folks !

I haven't had any experience with any of the other chips. To update the firmware, you will burn an iso onto a dvd. The wiikey supports DVDRW so i would suggest that you use one since you will update every now and then and have to redo a new image. The wii will boot like normal. You would go into the disc channel, as the image boots like a gamecube disc. From there, if you have a gamecube controller you can navigate the menus, otherwise you can use the reset button on the wii as well. It should be pretty straight forward. Lots of good info at http://www.eurasia.nu/

so i have an issue with my wii and the wiikey

i wsa supposed to go in today to pick up my chipped wii, however while i was there they tested it and thier copied game wouldnt work..

they said my version of the wii is too new so i might have to have them install a wiid or something else. i watched them test it, its not bricked it played an offical game, but it wouldnt load a backup.

so im going back tomarrow to see whats up with it. wish me luck ... :mad5:

The new versions of the wii have a different way to solder the wiikey onto it. It can still be done but only by a skilled modder. This was nintendo's response to the wiikey. Nintendo actually removed some of the solder points. Anyways, the cyclowiz or the wiinja are easier to solder on, but in my opinion, those chips aren't as good as the wiikey. Oh well, as long as you can play backups.

i just got my wii and i was told since its a new version that it cannot be modded at this time. im going to write a post about it so if anyone was looking for a followup to my adventure.. well there it is.. =(

i only know of one place that does it so im kinda assed out.

2ndly , is there an alternative to playing backups rather then having a modchip ?
ive heard about sd card stuff but im not sure if that works, anyone ? ?

It can be modded, but only by someone that knows that they're doing. Like I said, the solder contacts are removed on your wii, and must be soldered directly onto an IC chip. This is what makes it so difficult, because if you somehow mess up that IC, your wii is f*****. I don't know of any alternative to modchips (i.e. boot discs, sd hacks). But I'm sure someone will find a way.

PumaYaYa said:
It can be modded, but only by someone that knows that they're doing. Like I said, the solder contacts are removed on your wii, and must be soldered directly onto an IC chip. This is what makes it so difficult, because if you somehow mess up that IC, your wii is f*****. I don't know of any alternative to modchips (i.e. boot discs, sd hacks). But I'm sure someone will find a way.

Not necessarily true ^

If deftoneru has a D2C chipset (PAL regions only), then there is no method currently to mod it. If he has a D2B with cut IC legs, then it is a bit harder, but I recommend going to www.teammodders.com. They will mod the Wii's with cut legs for $55.

TheDarknes is right. There is a PAL region Wii that simply cannot be modded right now, with any chip. But if you're in the USA or other region - then you should be fine to get it modded, as long as someone can do it.

I have modded 10 of the new wii's without any hitch... Though I do have to say that with the pins removed from the IC, it is quite a job. I spend over 45 minutes on each install when it comes to those versions of the Wii.

As a side note... And I'm not pushing one website over another, but the place I get my wii mod chips actually sells them with a WIRE KIT, which means that you're not forced to use the quick solder pads (and you can NOT use them on the new wii's) and can use wires to install it instead.

The wires they send are thin and flexible... So installing it is a "breeze" with those wires - compared to what I was using before... you can check it out.

http://www.ps2cover.com/nintendo-wii-mod-chip-wiikey.shtml

Back