New Wii Mod Chip News

I wonder if they will do what Microsoft did and start banning consoles from online play?

It's all possible. Even if Nintendo starts en-coding games with automatic updates to configure the Wii, Mod Chip companies will still make new mod chips to get around things. It's a vicious circle. I do think Nintendo should have made one console and not have them region specific but I am sure there are reasons for them doing so.

That is not new. The shipment of Wii with 3 of the solder points on an IC cut went into the market around 10 days ago in Asia and the problem was immediately reported that day. It makes the soldering more difficult but not impossible. So far, only the NTSC-J model has this change. The current batch sold in US is still moddable. To avoid problem in playing online games or future update, there are mod chips that can be easily turned off (e.g. WiiD) or unplugged (WiiKit or dongle approach).

Last edited:
lol serves em right, ive heard wii were being bricked? ie when you turn a chiped wii on after an update it just dies and can never be turned on again and with a void warranty your screwed, any confirms?

Almo said:
lol serves em right, ive heard wii were being bricked? ie when you turn a chiped wii on after an update it just dies and can never be turned on again and with a void warranty your screwed, any confirms?

It can be avoided if you do not use a international game (i.e. NTSC(J) and PAL). It happens because if your NTSC(U) Wii is not updated to the latest firmware, and you stick in a international game that has the update loaded on it, it will then update your NTSC(U) Wii with a international firmware...which will then cause it to lock up (aka brick).

Other than that, just update your Wii to the latest available firmware, do not use any international games, and you should be brick-free.

Notion2 said:
I wonder if they will do what Microsoft did and start banning consoles from online play?
They can't, microsoft could do that because the drive was actually flashed with hack fimware, whitch is readable, all the chip does is tell the wii that the disc is legit.

I think every so often Nintendo should release an Update that if you have a chip it just stops you going online.....
So everytime a new chip comes out Nintendo can release a new update to stop it

Or an update which if you have a chip just breaks your Wii. Don't **** with nintendo people

Wii_Smurf said:
I think every so often Nintendo should release an Update that if you have a chip it just stops you going online.....

Or an update which if you have a chip just breaks your Wii. Don't **** with nintendo people

They would've done that if the current chips were actualy detectable

Wii_Smurf said:

I can see why Nintendo might want this, but a user? Why should you care? I own 12 Wii games (not Sports or Play), and have 3 young kids. To me, it's worth a $35 mod to be able to back up my games so the kids only handle the backups and not the ones i bought. It's the same thing I do to every DVD and CD we buy.

I understand how this can be abused, but I feel Nintendo is making plenty of money off me (12 games, 4 remotes, 4 nunchucks, 2 virtual console controllers and numerous shopping channel purchases) and I'm using the mod for a legit purpose.

All the mod chips that I have read up on run in what is known as stealth mode, the wii console cannot even detect its presenece. The chips are attached to the optical motherboard rather than the main motherboard and therefore only communicate with the disc reading process.

Back