New Wii with DVD with player

I'm afriad for those of you hoping it will come in the form of a firmware update, your in for a dissapointment

New Wii in 2007 to Enable DVD Playback - November 13, 2006
http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/745/745515p1.html

"It is unknown if there is an add-on DVD player is also planned. If not, those who purchase a Wii this holiday would need to buy a brand new system next fall in order to enjoy DVDs."

Nintendo Japan Confirms DVD Wii for 2007 - November 17, 2006
http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/746/746637p1.html

"Those who purchase the current model Wii hoping for a DVD upgrade in the future may be out of luck. Japan's Impress Watch tech site reports that Nintendo currently has no plans to make the current Wii model DVD ready, neither through software nor hardware. "

Last edited:
It has been said that a usb dvd player COULD be released at the same time as the wii with built in dvd player.

i wonder how much woudl the new wii cost 300 or higher. y are ppl getting so made a bout a dvd player.

The last I heard about it they said that all it would do is add DVD and would be otherwise unchanged.Which would be fine with me as I own a DVD player a PC that plays DVD's and a PS2.I really don't need another DVD player in the house.

an add on wii dvd player....that would be just a waste of money man arrghh i could go out and get a decent dvd player for 30 bucks at brandsmart......man sucks....

Most likely nintendo will have a trade in, like the GBA to GBA SP. Its not fair, and I dont think nintendo would leave their fans uncheaked and notcied.

-who would waste their money in HD? its such a waste of space, time, and money. The great outdoors the greatest "HD" you can get. Now in stoke, valid while supply lasts.

rp beesh said:
i wonder how much woudl the new wii cost 300 or higher. y are ppl getting so made a bout a dvd player.

I gusse they are feel they are being cheated, wating in line, buying a wii for 200 bux then a new one comes out. Once again nintendo would't just leave us fans uncheaked. Mabey free 2000 wii points? Trust me guys its going to be good, mabey even a hardware update, asthe wii can read disks.

what do you mean its not fair, nintendo did the same thing with the DS lite. They stated shortly after the release of the original DS that a new version would be released. They dont care whats fair they just wanna make money.

ARGHTSDPOSDIGS:FKJ:SDLKFJS:WDLKFJSDMLKJF!!!!!!

I've seen links confirming it's an update, and links confirming it's a new wii... I read all through page 7, but I can't stand the confusion anymore! :p

i know a lot of people are going to disagree with me but do we really need another dvd player? I have no less then 5 dvd players in my house, from my computers to a standalone to a PS2. I know i'm not the only one, count them yourself. If by chance you don't have a dvd player, go to walmart and pick up an Apex for $30 on sale, sometimes less. Point being, this is really not that necessary, just kinda cool.

I have 6 + a broken one that will get repaired soon. Thats why i cant justify buying another wii just because it plays dvds.

thats what ive been saying... its a cheep piece of technology... no reason to have another one.. it would probably cost more for a wii full fuction dvd remote... then to go buy a dvd player... just yesterday i saw a dvd player for 9.99 at radio shack smaller than the wii... its not exactly new technology its cheep, no need to buy a whole new wii just for dvd playback

As long as they don't change anything like the resolution or processing power I won't care.

I have a PC that can play DVDs. I have a laptop that can play DVDs. I have a home theater system that can play DVDs.

I certainly don't need my gaming console to do the same, and most certainly wouldn't pay more for it. If Nintendo makes a new Wii with DVD capabilities and the same price, well that's good for the new buyers I guess.

Back