New Wii with DVD with player

they did announce it would be on new consoles - not through an update

i didn't know about the 'only announced in japan so far', though

i'm not going to buy a new wii just for the extra dvd player - imagine not having all of the virtual console games that you've bought o.o. a normal dvd player or a ps2/3 works just fine.

ok you guys do know that the wii is a DVD player already.. all wii games are dvd.. its running on a linux system.. whoever says the firmware wont support it is full of S#$%... really if you could crack into the linux on the wii all you would have to do is upload a dvd playing program in it... they wouldnt make a dvd console to play only dvd games in the firmware alone when i dont know 10,000 other comapniees already make dvd players they can shove in it cheep...it would cost them more to make a dvd reader from scratch with non dvd video playback capabilities then to just toss one in without the playback software.... all they did was leave out the playing software... all they did was leave it out get a clue read a book, something....

i honestly dont know why they left out dvd play in the Wii seems stupid.. but then again in a year from now when intrest slows down it would be a cool thing to add on just to get intrest back in the system... the only thing the "new" wii would have is a fancy new cover and additional software...
unless the president of nintendo comes out and says it himself its all bull in my book....

wezeles said:
ok you guys do know that the wii is a DVD player already.. all wii games are dvd.. its running on a linux system.. whoever says the firmware wont support it is full of S#$%... really if you could crack into the linux on the wii all you would have to do is upload a dvd playing program in it... they wouldnt make a dvd console to play only dvd games in the firmware alone when i dont know 10,000 other comapniees already make dvd players they can shove in it cheep...it would cost them more to make a dvd reader from scratch with non dvd video playback capabilities then to just toss one in without the playback software.... all they did was leave out the playing software... all they did was leave it out get a clue read a book, something....

i honestly dont know why they left out dvd play in the Wii seems stupid.. but then again in a year from now when intrest slows down it would be a cool thing to add on just to get intrest back in the system... the only thing the "new" wii would have is a fancy new cover and additional software...
unless the president of nintendo comes out and says it himself its all bull in my book....

yes - it is DVD-R, but it reads in reverse to avoid piracy (GCN was the same way, and to this day I believe there isn't an emulator that can play GCN games).

As for having a firmware update - I'm not an expert, so I couldn't tell you - but as far as I'm aware, a firmware update wouldn't be able to do that easily, and then if you could - piracy would be a lot easier and games on the Wii would be read in the wrong direction

honestly - i'm waiting to read/hear something from Iwata, Miyamoto, or another Nintendo official like you.

edit// oh, and congrats on your 100th post ^_^

Borches: You should take into account THIS news item posted on Gamestop. It was posted on September 14th 2006. One of the forum goers here has already posted it but I just decided to link it so I give him the credit( Sorry im to lazy to look up who you are :D ).

Anyways I suggest we go with the newest news first. And Borches you should give us a date for your source.

unluckylink13 said:
yes - it is DVD-R, but it reads in reverse to avoid piracy (GCN was the same way, and to this day I believe there isn't an emulator that can play GCN games).

As for having a firmware update - I'm not an expert, so I couldn't tell you - but as far as I'm aware, a firmware update wouldn't be able to do that easily, and then if you could - piracy would be a lot easier and games on the Wii would be read in the wrong direction

honestly - i'm waiting to read/hear something from Iwata, Miyamoto, or another Nintendo official like you.

edit// oh, and congrats on your 100th post ^_^

The reading is done just in the software itself.. there are a couple of burning programs to burn a GC disk but it takes forever... standard CD,dvd whatever reads from the middle to the outside.. GC, Wii reads from the outside to the inside... pain to burn unless somehow you rig up a straight burn system... and the closing program is the key, most cd's when you burn them and close it music cd movie or whatever you will notice some of it not burned... unused space, in a nintendo disk atleast with Gamecube not sure about wii never tryed to burn one yet... but the closing part of the disk has to reach all the way to the end and then has a start program file there... so you put the disk it it reads the end "the beggining in a normall cd" then goes to the beggining and stars to play it... without it finnalized allt he way to the end with the start there.. the game will not start.. went through about 20 mini dvd's and alot of time trying to figure this out and talking back and forth with the guy who made the burn program...
the disk itself still spins the same direction... just starts at different points

the panasonic GC... the full size DVD GC that plays dvd movies runs off a larger version of the same GC drive nothing fancy about it just had to add the DVD playing software.. which would have the new read direction on it..
its a load of crap, they might say its not possibal but i doubt they would spend the money to make it that way... once someone hacks into the linux in the Wii it will be easy enough to do... nintendo has some of the best anti piracy in place i have ever seen... im not saying it would be easy to do, but not impossibal they just want you to think it is...

Last edited:
psyichic said:
Borches: You should take into account THIS news item posted on Gamestop. It was posted on September 14th 2006. One of the forum goers here has already posted it but I just decided to link it so I give him the credit( Sorry im to lazy to look up who you are :D ).

Anyways I suggest we go with the newest news first. And Borches you should give us a date for your source.

That was the original wii's specs. That has nothing to do with what I am talking about. Those specs were out before even the Wii was. This news had come out in late December and was talking about a NEW wii (which those specs would not pertain to) having dvd capability.

Oh and sorry about the generic 'late december' because I lost the thread, as I already said.

along this thread, people say that new wii (if there is some...) will not be able to update because the drive who read and write are physically reversed ...

but on this video LINK the guy show us how to copy a wii dvd on your computer...

So... if the computer dvd drive that is not reversed can read a reversed wrote wii dvd...

that proves that read/write can be reversed by software...

what do u think ??

Last edited:
like i said it doesnt spin the disk backwards... it reads it backwards, back to front not front to back... has nothing to do with firmware...

i think there sould be a patch or system update u need so thatway we dont need to buy another wii.

it is really good wishful thinking to think their gonna just perform an update. I mean don't get me wrong, it would be a great idea but i don't think they will do that. I think their gonna do what they did with the DS and release another version of Wii which is black, has DVD playback, and may be a little bit smaller.

ya nothing is free... its just one more thing for them to introduce down the road with the Wii to get more intrest in it... so in a year or so from now instead of dropping the price to sell more like they did with GC... they will just come out with a new version of the Wii smaller more colors with more options... they will still make the same profit and sell alot... and some of the diehard wii fans will get the updated system... really i wouldnt waste the money unless they give something else besides dvd playback...
you can buy a dvd player at wallmart for 18 bucks guys... the only reason to add it to the Wii would be to save some space near your t.v.

why not they come out with a new hardware for as a DVD player? I will get soo pissed off if they didnt cuz what are we gonna do with our Wii's?

it does have USB so anything nintendo decides they could make external... but its just a DVD player guys... nothing fancy.. they are cheeper than a VCR these days ive found some for less then 10 bucks.. why would you care if they include it or not if you dont have a DVD player yet you really shouldnt be buyin a Wii..lol i would be more intrested in other upgrades it would get besides DVD... like a new graphics card,better sensor capabilities... stuff along that line... why care so much about something as cheep as a standard DVD player..

Back