New Wii with DVD with player

Personaly sounds like Horse terds........ if nintendo was gonna do that they would have done it before launch...... they tested the wii for a year before they even released it... i think they would have made that decision way back when!

my personal opinion on this subject.

Final Wii specs lack DVD playback

Nintendo confirms final version of its next-gen console will only play "12-centimeter optical discs for the Wii console," and it has abandoned original plans for DVD peripheral. Complete spec sheet inside.

By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot Posted Sep 14, 2006 11:28 pm GMT

At E3 2005, Nintendo showed off its next-generation console, then code-named "Revolution." Besides being the successor to the GameCube, the machine was to be the first Nintendo console to offer the potential for DVD playback. (Note: Panasonic did make a DVD-playing GameCube known as the Q for sale in Asia.)
Games for the Revolution, which has since been rechristened the Wii, would come on discs the same size as DVDs, and not the smaller, proprietary-format discs used by the GameCube. So when the console was first announced, Nintendo said that the console was capable of playing DVD movies, although it would require an "attachment" to do so.
The possible inclusion of DVD support was a major change of course for Nintendo, which had previously derided attempts by rivals Microsoft and Sony to bill their consoles as online-enabled multimedia devices. But when Nintendo announced a whole host of functions for its next-gen device today, many industry-watchers felt the company had finally embraced the concept of a console being used for forms of entertainment other than games.
Then, a funny thing happened. Nintendo released the final specs for the Wii--and nowhere did it mention anything about DVDs. In fact, the company described the console's disc drive as: "A single self-loading media bay will play single- or double-layered 12-centimeter optical discs for the Wii console, as well as 8-centimeter Nintendo GameCube discs."
The omission of any mention of DVDs led some to believe that Nintendo had decided to abandon any attempt to have the Wii support DVD playback. As it turns out, those skeptics were right. Today, Nintendo confirmed to GameSpot that the Wii will have no DVD playback and will not have an option for a DVD dongle or add-on in its current form.
"They were originally considering an external [DVD] attachment," a rep for the company said of the Wii's designers. "But because the price of DVD players has dropped so much and they have become so commonplace, Nintendo saw no need to create extra hardware options that would drive up the cost for consumers."
That said, other than the multimedia features, the Wii remains largely the same as before. It will still sport four GameCube controller ports, two GameCube memory-card slots, two USB 2.0 ports, and an SD Card slot. Its IEEE802.11 Wi-Fi capability will let it communicate wirelessly with the DS handheld or the Internet, and it still doesn't have high-definition video output, though it will support component and S-Video output.

PotatoWedgie said:
They don't allow you to play DVDs. They allow you to play games that are burned to DVDs.

The transitive property states:
* For any quantities a, b, and c, if a = b and b = c, then a = c.

If it's reading DATA from a DVD, it is, by the transitive property, READING A DVD. It's not that hard of a concept to grasp.

Just because a Nintendo representative responded to a question, doesn't mean they could of said something and had: false information, mis-worded what they meant to say, not understood the question, or simply said something to get them to shut up.

damn i dont care about the dvd. but if the new version of the wii come out with 1080p what would that do for use with the version we have? i'm new to this gaming world. would they have to make separate game for both version? or does it have to do with component cable?

i do love my wii-wii

fewfirstchoice said:
The Wii can support 1080i witha update.If they bring out new Wiis(which they will) with HD 1080i capability we with the orginial version will beable to download it for a small price.About the DVD drive.The wii has the drive but Im not sure if it can play DVDs even with a downloadable channel.Ill check more on it and get back to ya.

I don't believe that I read somewhere that it would be possible with this chipset to upgrade it to 720p but that is it. Like said before in the forum 1080i is not possible due to memory limitations and CPU speed. And a new version within a year with HD would be suicidal of Nintendo.

MaXiMiUS said:
The transitive property states:
* For any quantities a, b, and c, if a = b and b = c, then a = c.

If it's reading DATA from a DVD, it is, by the transitive property, READING A DVD. It's not that hard of a concept to grasp.

Just because a Nintendo representative responded to a question, doesn't mean they could of said something and had: false information, mis-worded what they meant to say, not understood the question, or simply said something to get them to shut up.

Okay smartass, the problem is that reading a data DVD is not the same as playing video from a DVD. Notice that the property is speaking of quantities, not the capabilities of a game console.

Please apply your algebra properties correctly next time. Simply because the Wii is capable of reading data from a DVD doesn't mean it's also capable of playing video and is just software-limited.

Reading data from a DVD means the Wii can read DVDs. It does not mean it can play video from DVDs.

MaXiMiUS said:
It's not that hard of a concept to grasp.

PotatoWedgie is right. THe idea of actively reading video from a DVD is much different from playing a burned copy of a game. The Wii would need to support that feature on it's hardware side. Simple algebraic properties do not apply to software and hardware capabilities and limits. There is a difference between reading game data and straight up media data. It would have to know the codecs to actually play it straight up.

Also Jerrod I just asked the question you asked but apparently I was mistaken and the part about DVD-R reading capabilities is related to DVD-R's that contain a burned copy of a game not media itself.

psyichic said:
THe idea of actively reading video from a DVD is much different from playing a burned copy of a game. The Wii would need to support that feature on it's hardware side. Simple algebraic properties do not apply to software and hardware capabilities and limits.
The discussion is now over

UKResist said:
Final Wii specs lack DVD playback

Nintendo confirms final version of its next-gen console will only play "12-centimeter optical discs for the Wii console," and it has abandoned original plans for DVD peripheral. Complete spec sheet inside.

By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot Posted Sep 14, 2006 11:28 pm GMT

At E3 2005, Nintendo showed off its next-generation console, then code-named "Revolution." Besides being the successor to the GameCube, the machine was to be the first Nintendo console to offer the potential for DVD playback. (Note: Panasonic did make a DVD-playing GameCube known as the Q for sale in Asia.)
Games for the Revolution, which has since been rechristened the Wii, would come on discs the same size as DVDs, and not the smaller, proprietary-format discs used by the GameCube. So when the console was first announced, Nintendo said that the console was capable of playing DVD movies, although it would require an "attachment" to do so.
The possible inclusion of DVD support was a major change of course for Nintendo, which had previously derided attempts by rivals Microsoft and Sony to bill their consoles as online-enabled multimedia devices. But when Nintendo announced a whole host of functions for its next-gen device today, many industry-watchers felt the company had finally embraced the concept of a console being used for forms of entertainment other than games.
Then, a funny thing happened. Nintendo released the final specs for the Wii--and nowhere did it mention anything about DVDs. In fact, the company described the console's disc drive as: "A single self-loading media bay will play single- or double-layered 12-centimeter optical discs for the Wii console, as well as 8-centimeter Nintendo GameCube discs."
The omission of any mention of DVDs led some to believe that Nintendo had decided to abandon any attempt to have the Wii support DVD playback. As it turns out, those skeptics were right. Today, Nintendo confirmed to GameSpot that the Wii will have no DVD playback and will not have an option for a DVD dongle or add-on in its current form.
"They were originally considering an external [DVD] attachment," a rep for the company said of the Wii's designers. "But because the price of DVD players has dropped so much and they have become so commonplace, Nintendo saw no need to create extra hardware options that would drive up the cost for consumers."
That said, other than the multimedia features, the Wii remains largely the same as before. It will still sport four GameCube controller ports, two GameCube memory-card slots, two USB 2.0 ports, and an SD Card slot. Its IEEE802.11 Wi-Fi capability will let it communicate wirelessly with the DS handheld or the Internet, and it still doesn't have high-definition video output, though it will support component and S-Video output.

That was old news though.
This is definitely subject to change.
Nintendo could release a seperate DVD player or have downloadable codecs.
No one knows for sure yet.

Back