New Wii with DVD with player

^that would be great and all but I dont think Nintendo will be worrying about Graphic's for the next 3 years after that, they'll need to start doing something about there graphic's since the 360 and PS3 by theb will have a couple of great games with great graphic's so they'll need to put out something to upgrade your graphic card and your flash memory (something like what they did on the N64 where you need the Expansion Pack to play new Wii games)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_Pak
^Click here to see what Expansion Pack was^

Like several others have said it really doesn't matter to me at this point. I have my Wii and the reason I have it is for the games. The channels and stuff are nice. Miis are nice. But its not killing me that I can't play DVD's on it. Why? Because I already have one downstairs for the whole family. If Nintendo does happen to create some type of upgrade that can be downloaded which improves the graphics and allows DVD playing then I'll be even more satisfied that I am now with the company. However right now I'm perfectly fine with the way the system is now. Although I will say that Nintendo can't pretend that graphics don't matter anymore after this console. Their next gen console HAS to be HD if they even want to stand a chance against Microsoft.

*EDIT*: Thats the bottom line really...

Last edited:
who gives a crap about HD and playing DVDs!!!!!!!!! Not Me!!!!

Why care about the Wii not having HD or DVD player. The Wii Graphics are amazing and most people have a DVD player now!

The Wii can support 1080i witha update.If they bring out new Wiis(which they will) with HD 1080i capability we with the orginial version will beable to download it for a small price.About the DVD drive.The wii has the drive but Im not sure if it can play DVDs even with a downloadable channel.Ill check more on it and get back to ya.

My Wii is for playing games
My DVD player is for playing DVDs

fewfirstchoice said:
The Wii can support 1080i witha update.If they bring out new Wiis(which they will) with HD 1080i capability we with the orginial version will beable to download it for a small price.About the DVD drive.The wii has the drive but Im not sure if it can play DVDs even with a downloadable channel.Ill check more on it and get back to ya.

What makes you think 1080i is possible with an update?

The Wii's we all have atm have a dvd drive in them, they cannot play dvd movies as of yet but it has been proven that it is possible as modchips can prove this.

The (old) XBox DVD's spin in reverse but it plays movies. When the drive in mine died I just got a pre-modded reverse-spinning PC DVD drive for $60 off of eBay to replace the old one. Piece of cake and loads faster too!
Anywho, standalone DVD players are $30. Who cares if my Wii plays DVDs. Do I want to wear out the internal components of my gaming system watching movies? Nope.

fewfirstchoice said:

Uhh...no.

1080i = 1920x1080 / 2 = about 1.04 million pixels
480p (Wii's max) = 720x480 = about 346k pixels.

1080i requires exactly three times the bandwidth and processing than 480p, assuming they're both operating at a steady 30 FPS. Unless Nintendo is vastly under-reporting the Wii's capabilities, it's not possible for it to output 1080i.

Aside from that, every game that's currently written to work at 480i and 480p would have to be rewritten. It won't happen.

Finally, who cares? For Nintendo fanboys, some of you are really into the whole graphics thing. I dunno about you, but Zelda is a freaking awesome game in 480i or 480p. I could really care less if its definition got improved.

For the last time, the Wii CANNOT play DVD's by simply "updating" the firmware. A new Wii is in the works which is DVD capable (curently only confirmed for Japan).

Well if thats the case then I refuse to believe the 2nd part of your post. If Nintendo did that then it would be a slap in the FACE to the 4 million people worldwide who bought their Wiis are the launch. Thats just plain wrong and for you to expect us to just accept that is ridiculous. I personally would be very pissed off at Nintendo if they did this. And if they did this the only way they would keep me as a customer would be for them to offer trade ins. As in those of us who have registered our Wiis can have them exchanged for the DVD capable ones. Thats ONLY fair.

MasterJedi2U said:
Well if thats the case then I refuse to believe the 2nd part of your post. If Nintendo did that then it would be a slap in the FACE to the 4 million people worldwide who bought their Wiis are the launch. Thats just plain wrong and for you to expect us to just accept that is ridiculous. I personally would be very pissed off at Nintendo if they did this. And if they did this the only way they would keep me as a customer would be for them to offer trade ins. As in those of us who have registered our Wiis can have them exchanged for the DVD capable ones. Thats ONLY fair.

I personally wouldn't mind. I'd just pick up a Japanese DVD-playing Wii (even though I don't need another DVD player) so I could access Japanese games and VC titles.

EDIT: It's also a matter of perspective. If they release a DVD-capable Wii, it's because their market research said people still wanted it badly enough. And from that perspective, they're just giving the people what they want.

Last edited:
Back