New Wii with DVD with player

psyichic said:
No offense but what proof does Maximus have?

What proof does he need?

Everyone arguing about this should shut up, and learn things before arguing, KNOW WHAT YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT BEFORE DOING SO!

If you know anything about computers, everyone knows FIRMWARE updates fix ****. My dvd RW could not do -r discs for an EXAMPLE. i update firmware, WOW LOOK I CAN DO IT NOW!

Its just a damn firmware upgrade, and if its not needed its just a damn DVD PLAYER/PROGRAM that needs to be installed via channel.

and most of you's, you know the gamecube games are mini DVD's right?

MOST , INCLUDING ZELDA is a 4.18GIG GAME on the Wii..on the GAMECUBE its 1.17 GIG...

THEY'RE ALL DVD'S!

like ive said before, NINTENDO is a company. they will not bring out a new console so close to the first one after millions of people have bought the 1st one.

also, they dont have to...an updade should do it fine. So stop worrying, no new Wii :)

yeh i agree with you it will probably cost a fair bit, im not gonna bother i have about 5 other dvd players around the house.

ennidiem said:
I'm betting they will put the dvd firmware update on shopping channel for 30$

The DVD firmware update will be free. Its an extra selling point for them. Nintendo isnt releasing a new version of the Wii as talked about on first page. This is a simple firmware update. And if Nintendo does charge money for this update then they will get negetive responses from loyal owners that could have gotten this free with Sony and Microsoft.

Well i dont even care

im gonna keep watching dvds with one of my 6 dvd players that i have in different locations around the house

:ciappa:

WHO CARES
JUST A DVD

watching movies on your consoles slowly reduces the life span of the laster anyways. I will never watch movies on my Wii, Xbox 360, or PS3......well maybe PS3 because I dont want to buy a Blu Ray player lol

pizzaluvr said:
this means that they can just add it via the channels thingy, since the wii allready has a dvd drive, they would only need to update the codecs

same with hd... the 360 did it, they can do 1080p now, the wii can do it too

i don't think the wii has enough power to go 1080p but i agree with u on the dvd thing. if it has a dvd player in it you'll be able to just upgrade

My main thing with DVD playback on consoles is... who cares? Most households that would buy a current game console already own at least one standalone DVD player. For this reason, whether a console plays games or not is pretty much moot. I have played a DVD on my PS2 once, just to see how it worked. I guess I'm just a bit old fashioned in that I use my game consoles to play games and my DVD players to watch DVDs. I simply do not care about this one way or the other.

As to the possibility of an "upgraded" Wii coming out in the future, I simply believe that Nintendo has too much respect for their fanbase (or their profits) to do something that would piss off the 5 million people who have already bought this Wii. If they do, it'll be like the 64DD and Gamecube/DVD player hybrid: dead upon release.

HelpMeGetWii said:
i don't think the wii has enough power to go 1080p but i agree with u on the dvd thing. if it has a dvd player in it you'll be able to just upgrade

the Wii cant do 1080p no matter what. It doesnt have an HD-DVD player built in or HDMI or any other cables to do 1080p.

There is NO WAY Nintendo would come out with a hi-def version of the Wii less than a year after the release of the Wii. No way. You guys are dreaming if you think they can simply push out a firmware update that will automatically enable some magical HD goodness. I don't believe the Wii is capable of HD for a couple of reasons, CPU clock speed and memory. I don't think the Wii has enough of either to push HD content. Releasing modified version of the Wii with HD capabilities would be a development nightmare for 3rd parties and consumers.

However, if Nintendo by chance did happen to release a HD enabled Wii so quickly you can bet your ass there would be major backlash from Wii owners. Nintendo has sold more than a million consoles and they'd suddenly be nearly worthless. That's more than a million upset customers in multiple countries. It would be a really dumb move.

Most news stories say that the Wii is not able to play DVD movies with a simple software and a firmware upgrade. Why? That's actually a good question. The mod chips that are currently out are DVD upgradeable so obviously the Wii is capable of reading standard DVD formated discs. If that is possible, there shouldn't be any reason a software based DVD player wouldn't work.

Another thing to consider is that DVDs are NOT HD so adding DVD playback and HD capabilities isn't needed. 480p is all the better you can expect from DVDs so why bother with HD at all?

I also find it really hypocritical of Wii fanboys (myself included) to say they want HD capabilities so badly and yet make fun of the PS3 and say graphics are second rate to game play.

but then again

mym6 said:
There is NO WAY Nintendo would come out with a hi-def version of the Wii less than a year after the release of the Wii. No way. You guys are dreaming if you think they can simply push out a firmware update that will automatically enable some magical HD goodness. I don't believe the Wii is capable of HD for a couple of reasons, CPU clock speed and memory. I don't think the Wii has enough of either to push HD content. Releasing modified version of the Wii with HD capabilities would be a development nightmare for 3rd parties and consumers.

However, if Nintendo by chance did happen to release a HD enabled Wii so quickly you can bet your ass there would be major backlash from Wii owners. Nintendo has sold more than a million consoles and they'd suddenly be nearly worthless. That's more than a million upset customers in multiple countries. It would be a really dumb move.

Most news stories say that the Wii is not able to play DVD movies with a simple software and a firmware upgrade. Why? That's actually a good question. The mod chips that are currently out are DVD upgradeable so obviously the Wii is capable of reading standard DVD formated discs. If that is possible, there shouldn't be any reason a software based DVD player wouldn't work.

Another thing to consider is that DVDs are NOT HD so adding DVD playback and HD capabilities isn't needed. 480p is all the better you can expect from DVDs so why bother with HD at all?

I also find it really hypocritical of Wii fanboys (myself included) to say they want HD capabilities so badly and yet make fun of the PS3 and say graphics are second rate to game play.

but then again what would be greater than GREAT GRAPHICS WITH GREAT GAME PLAY

Back