New Wii with DVD with player

true why the hell do you wanna buy a whole new wii just to play dvd's......a shitty dvd player costs what..........£25?

Also I thought that the new wii was meant to have a HD-DVD drive in it, rather than just a normal one?

I might have dreamed that mind.............

DrYou said:
Whether or not it does or doesn't if you have a First Gen Wii it won't play them. The new Premiere Wii's will and you will pay more money for them. Nintendo doesn’t own any part of DVD technology so they need to pay someone to use it which will increase the base cost of the system.

Give me links to this from Nintendo NOT from some obscure little gaming site you found in the UK or something.

Thanks

Shitty Proressive scan DVD players cost $30, probably $20 in the right places! We are already going into the HD movie era, so it would not make sense for Nintendo to create new hardware just for a format that is nearing its end. I would be mad if they pulled a DS lite switch :prrr: .

I have already had four devices that can properly do a DVD playback, I really can't care less if Wii can play a DVD movie or not....but if Nintendo performances a GAMECUBE maneuver I'd be pretty much pissed as well, it's just not fair that I spent 250 euros and in a year or two they are gonna sell Wiis for only like 199 euros and with more functions?

Edit:

Scratch that, the boards somehow f'cking LOST my original post, oh well..

Summary: It will be a firmware update and some new software. All Wii's will be able to play DVDs, just not yet.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:
Personally, it wouldn't bother me if Nintendo did release a new Wii that had DVD playback. If that is the only new feature then it would be pointless for anyone who already owns a Wii to go out and buy a new one. I already have a DVD player with HDMI which is also hooked up to my amp with 7.1 surround sound, so why would I want to watch DVDs on my Wii? It'd be convenient for people who don't already have a DVD player, but really who doesn't? Even if it's just a PC. And with HD DVD and Blu Ray coming in it'd be like releasing a new Wii that can play VHS.

If you own a Wii you shouldn't really care if they do or don't release a Wii 'Lite' or whatever. If DVD playback is enabled via an update then that'd be great, if it isn't who really cares? The Wii is an awesome console that is unique because of the experience it offers and the fact it can play DVDs or not shouldn't really come into anything if someone is thinking about buying one.

alright.. someone said that they could update the graphics too?.. if this is true.. what kind of graphics is the wii capable of?

MaXiMiUS said:
Edit:

Scratch that, the boards somehow f'cking LOST my original post, oh well..

Summary: It will be a firmware update and some new software. All Wii's will be able to play DVDs, just not yet.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Exactly.

Why would they release a new wii just so people could watch dvds in it? i dont think Nintendo is that dumb.... im almost positive the new premium wii will have something new besides playing dvds... even though releasing a new wii is in itsself a let down. After all i went through to get a wii(i sadly ended up buying one at 400 plus bucks cuz i was returning to DR the next day) and having them release a new one a month after, that would really piss me off... id rather be ignorant and lean towards the ''update'' idea than the new wii...

Personally there is no need for Nintendo to release a Wii that can play DVD's. I'm sure most people have a DVD player now.

Back