CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
Nintendo Is Unstoppable
By Patrick Ross
Remember those commercials that said, “Sega does what Nintendon’t”? Well, it turned out to be true. Sega ended up almost shutting down, left the hardware market entirely and is now Nintendo’s slave, as evidenced by their former mascot Sonic the Hedgehog’s appearance in “Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games” and the forthcoming “Super Smash Bros. Brawl.”

A similar thing happened in the last few years, with Sony and Microsoft fanboys claiming that Nintendo had become too kiddy with their GameCube, while “real gamers” play “Grand Theft Auto” and “Halo” and all those ludicrous things.

Most recently, these crowds of what I like to call “newbie gamers,” who have no concept of what makes quality game design, have been trying to pigeonhole the Nintendo Wii as “the casual gamers’ machine.”

Well, that’s crap. Look at the crazy sales figures—Nintendo just missed outselling Microsoft’s Xbox 360 during this past October only because of a supply shortage, and then, by a mere 20,000 units. The Wii has outsold the 360 by double or more almost every other month of the year. Besides that, there is an incredible lineup of titles already out and on the way, including a little game called “Super Mario Galaxy” that came out last week. The game sold 250,000 copies its first day in Japan, and it’s being called “Nintendo’s greatest platformer ever” by IGN.com. Having played it myself, I can tell you it has some pretty astounding physics and graphics for only being on a system that’s supposedly “two GameCubes taped together.”

That aside, the Wii has incredible potential in the future to attract more “hardcore games” from third-party developers, even more so than the 360 and Sony’s Playstation 3, and I attribute this to casual games.

How so? Things like the Wii Remote and upcoming “balance board” accessory have been derided from the get-go by people like Mark Rein of Epic Games (developers of “Gears of War” and “Unreal Tournament III”) as “casual-game devices.”

That may be true as far as games like “Wii Sports” and “Wii Play,” but in reality, these accessories have created the biggest and best revolution in hardcore gaming as well.

“Metroid Prime 3” for the Wii showcases unheard-of precision using the combination of the Wii Remote and nunchuk accessory to recreate mouse and keyboard controls—a control scheme “Halo 3” players can only dream of (or wait for the game’s inevitable release on Windows Vista, thus negating the purchase of a $400 Xbox 360).

The upcoming “balance board” for Wii Fit, a plank that measures shifts in weight, translating them into on-screen action, could easily be expanded for genres like extreme sports, adding real-time motion control to the SSX snowboarding games or Tony Hawk series.

The forthcoming “Wii Zapper,” while packaged with a simple point-and-shoot game called “Link’s Crossbow Training,” has already been adapted for Sega’s upcoming “Ghost Squad,” a first-person arcade-style shooting game in the vein of “Time Crisis.”

People like to say, “Well, Nintendo’s first-party games are the only ones that take advantage of the hardware. Case in point: Metroid Prime.” This, too, is a fallacy. If casual games bring in more of the “mainstream” and, thus, bigger revenues and a wider audience, doesn’t this bode well for third-party support, in that companies will have incentive to devote more money, bigger franchises and higher-quality development teams to third-party games?

The simple answer is yes. Furthermore, it has already happened. “Medal of Honor: Heroes 2” was just released for the Wii and boasts 32-player online capability, which – for a “casual games machine” – is pretty impressive. Besides that, critics have hailed its control scheme as a step above Nintendo’s own “Metroid Prime 3.”

Finally, we can’t forget about another little game known as “Super Smash Bros. Brawl.” From all the information released so far, it looks to be the most hardcore Nintendo has ever been. The game boasts multiple online modes, a level designer, 20-plus fighters with more to come, including Sonic the Hedgehog and “Metal Gear Solid’s” Solid Snake. It will be the biggest gaming extravaganza Nintendo has ever produced and, perhaps, in the history of the industry.

The future is clear: Nintendo will win this Christmas in the short-term and this generation’s console war in the long term with a combination of low development-costs, casual and hardcore software, innovative accessories and the gangbuster sales of the Wii and Nintendo DS. Save your money from that overpriced piece of junk, the Playstation 3 (which happens to be selling worse than the GameCube was at this time five years ago), and invest in some Nintendo stock. Don’t waste your time with Halo. Get a Wii.

Source:
http://www.newuniversity.org/checkDB.php?id=6303

Good read. +1 Rep. I agree with everything for the most part, but I just hope the 3rd Party Developers will soon realize that the Wii best emulates the ultimate FPS controls: Mouse and Keyboard. I want to see more "hardcore" games like Gears etc. on the Wii. The one thing I disagree about is the balance board, that seems more like a gimmick than an actual innovation.

Thanks for the info. Nintendo will definately win this Christmas. SSBB will probably sell more then SMG did in a week.

i like my wii but i am also tired of mini games. i have galaxy and it is a great game but its not gonna last forever. i think i am gonna have to get a 360. but i don't see myself getting rid of my wii.

Nice Article...

The Wii is still a baby, and can only get better... With firmware updates available on-the-fly, there's no telling what will come in the future...

Matt!

KillerQ said:
Nice Article...

The Wii is still a baby, and can only get better... With firmware updates available on-the-fly, there's no telling what will come in the future...

Matt!

I totally agree.

I also think that the Wii is more aimed at a casual gamer. I love it, don't get me wrong, and it pleases me immensely that it sells more units that 360 and PS3, but it's still an infant...and though many of you stay in denial...graphically inadequate compared to 360 and PS3. I was astoundingly disappointed with Metroid 3 and and Super Mario Galaxy from a graphical perspective...I was really hoping that some of these cornerstone titles for the box could push the envelope, but really, I've still seen nothing that the Wii can do graphically that they couldn't do on the Cube.

And the control schemes for FPS...Metroid was light years ahead of the control schemes for Red Steel and some of the earlier shooters, it's still no keyboard and mouse. Metroid in my opinion is the only one that's better than the gamepad control of an FPS.

Mario Galaxy...what can I say? The game is extremely fun, but it is also by far the easiest platformer in the Mario series. Through half the game, I haven't talked to many people that have broken a sweat. Many of the stars/levels are almost as easy as just walk through and get your star at the end. Though the challenge level starts to move up a little the further you get, it's still a footnote in Mario history as far as the challenge. My son beat it through 60 stars in a couple of days and only had a handful of levels he had to replay more than once or twice.

I love my Wii...but in the long run, you can argue against it being a casual gamers machine...but it's an uphill argument...besides, who says a "hardcore gamers" machine wins the console wars anyway? I think casual gamers out number the "hardcore" gamers 10 to 1.

However, "Nintendo is Unstoppable" is a bad attitude to have. Why, you ask? I PROMISE you that's the same attitude Sony had when as they were getting ready to put the PS3 on the market. Look where they are now.

Last edited:
KillerQ said:
Nice Article...

Matt!

I agree wholeheartedly with that statement. The console has great potential for more than just party games. I know House Of The Dead is still in the works and with more great stuff coming out for it soon like Nights, SSBB its just a sign of great things to come.

I keep telling you guys. If Microsoft and Sony battle it out for second place, they will only grow the gap between them and the Wii. One has to fall in 2008 or you can count the Wii the winner for this console wars. 2008 will be the deciding year. If Sony thinks 2009 will give them a come back, they are crazy. They need to gain ground now. Microsoft knows this and it's amazing they are halfway to 26 million units. In the last console wars it took them 5 years to get there.

Lil Miss Foxxxy said:
I know House Of The Dead is still in the works and with more great stuff coming out for it soon like Nights, SSBB its just a sign of great things to come.

Too bad HOD is going to be a port of the of an old game and aparently it isn't visually pleasing. I want more original IPs and not ports.

Back