Obama Sees Gamers as Underachievers

manred

Animal Collective
Dec 30, 2007
Wherever Fate Takes Me
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
Democratic presidential candidate nominee Barack Obama hasn't made major claims about the content video games like his rival Hilary Clinton has in the past, but he's definitely been mentioning them. According to GamePolitics.com, Obama's been using video games as a metaphor for underachievement throughout his campaign speeches.

Many of his campaign speeches have contained advice for parents to get kids to "put away the video games." This isn't anything new, either. GamePolitics.com also points out that he's been talking about video games and underachievement in the same breath since April 2006.

In his victory speech in Wisconsin last night, Obama reiterated this sentiment:

"I know how hard it will be to alleviate poverty that has built up over centuries, how hard it will be to fix schools, because changing our schools will require not just money, but a change in attitudes.

We're going to have to parent better, and turn off the television set, and put the video games away, and instill a sense of excellence in our children, and that's going to take some time."

I'm fairly certain my prime minister doesn't know what a video game is, so for now, Canada is safe. But it's scary when a potential leader of a country so passively attributes video games with failure. It sounds like yet another instance of a politician not fully understanding what he's talking about, and jumping on the bandwagon, proliferating the popular sentiment that "video games are evil."

Source:http://kotaku.com/358584/obama-sees-gamers-as-underachievers

Do you all agree with him? Are we really underachievers?

Last edited:
Oh, ****.

*Takes off Obama button*
*Puts on Clinton button*

...wait, what am I thinking?

*Takes off Clinton button*
*Puts on McCain button*

In all seriousness, I doubt he was being literal. Many people see video games as a waste of time, and he was simply using that as an example of something that should be replaced with studying and/or working.

Indeed. You have to admit most gamers spend A LOT of time doing it. Sometimes you should just put the pad down.

LevesqueIsKing said:
Oh, ****. *Takes off Obama button*
*Puts on Clinton button* ...wait, what am I thinking? *Takes off Clinton button* *Puts on McCain button*

the great power of deduction FTW :lol:

I thought Obama was supposed to be slick and savvy, but now he's really f***ed up. Offending the people most likely to vote for you is not the way to win votes! Well he is a politician, so I guess I should have expected as much (ignorance of video games is basically a requirement of the job).

Dorkfish said:
You really misinterpreted that, didn't you?

QFT...you guys have the logistical skills of a noodle.

Barack Obama said:
I know how hard it will be to alleviate poverty that has built up over centuries, how hard it will be to fix schools, because changing our schools will require not just money, but a change in attitudes.

We're going to have to parent better, and turn off the television set, and put the video games away, and instill a sense of excellence in our children, and that's going to take some time.

You don't to read the rest of the post, as it is bullcrap anyway. Hes not saying that Video Games are bad, hes saying that children need to spend less time playing Video Games and Watching Tv and more time studying and doing homework, thus making our future better for us. THE CHILDREN ARE THE FUTURE!!!!!!!!!!

Get it now?

Last edited:
Arnt they remeberin

WE have saved the world countless times
We are allways the chosen one
We can rock out better than most people (not Lemmy)
We have won more sportin events than most countrys

i dont get it, when did he say were underachievers?

though, its the truth, most video gaming is a waste of time and we could be using it on studying or something or such. no ones really going to take action with this if hes elected, its just fuel to the parents.

Last edited:
My God! Do you know how many freaking dungeons I had to work out with logic there!?

Seriously, you're stretching out what he said.

Agreed with what most people are saying. You stretched his words out too far. But after all if you think of a gamer,first thing comes to mind for the general public is a fat greasy guy, his hair in a pony tail, a pair of glasses and sitting in front of a computer playing WoW with his Lvl 70 Blood Elf Priest. Which all in all, is an under achiever.

You are really, REALLY grasping at straws, hahah.

It seems some hardcore gamers get defensive WAY too quickly.

what can you expect celeste? they are effing savages.

No worries obama, i still love you man

Back