Official Pokemon Nuzlocke Challenge Thread!

Splash_King

The Scrubbiest of Hunters
Jan 25, 2009
Nimbasa City
Wii Online Code
0129-0129-0129-0129
I'm sure anyone reading this thread will immediately think "what the hell is a nuzlocke challenge?!". That's what this thread is for; to spread the knowledge of the Nuzlocke Challenge, and let everyone pick fun at this epic new way to play your Pogeymanz games!

To start off, the Nuzlocke Challenge can be done with any Pokemon game, so choose your favorite and get at it. The rules of the Nuzlocke Challenge are simple, but challenging.

1. Every new area, route, a cave, anywhere you find wild Pokemon, catch the first new Pokemon you encounter, and capture no more. If you fail to catch it for whatever reason, you can't catch anything else in that area!

2. If your Pokemon faints, treat it as if it's "dead", and release it as soon as possible. No revives, no Pokemon center healing, nothing. A fainted Pokemon can NEVER be used again.

3. If every Pokemon you've captured has fainted, that's it. The challenge is over, and likewise, the challenge is failed.

It makes for a more fun, and clearly more challenging experience than your average play through. I also have my own spin on the rules to make it a bit less rough around the edges. These aren't consistent with the common rules of Nuzlocke, and are considered entirely optional.

4. Tying in to rule 1, if you find a Pokemon you've already captured/the pre-evolve form of the Pokemon you captured, you can skip it entirely (run, KO, etc.) and catch the next applicable wild Pokemon you find on that route.

5. Not as much as a rule as a guideline, but if your Pokemon faints, don't soft reset, turn off the game, etc. Critical hits and unexpected moves are definitely frustrating, but no matter what the challenge is, as long as you can restart from a good point, you'll always win in the end. Mistakes and cheapness can and will happen, so bear with it and live it down if you get unlucky, rather than take the cheap way out and restarting at your last save point.

6. If at any time you find a Shiny Pokemon, you may catch it no matter what rules this might break. You may even use it on your team if ya like, and absolutely do not (and should not) release it if it is ever knocked out. Even if you aren't supposed to release it, if it is knocked out, throw it in your PC since you aren't allowed to use it in the challenge anymore afterwards. Any shinnies knocked out are to be treated as any other Pokes KO'd, aside from releasing them.

In case anyone is wondering where the roots of the Nuzlocke Challenge originate from, go here.

http://www.nuzlocke.com/?page_id=2

Also, it's encouraged you keep us posted on your Nuzlocke Challenge! How many badges are you getting, what's your team and who's getting added/dieing, are you having an easy or rough time, etc. etc. If you've got something to talk about in regards to your challenge, feel free to post it.

And of course, ALL credit for this thread's idea and inspiration go to Neosquid, AKA Nick, and the Nuzlocke Challenge itself to none other than Nuzlocke. Thanks for the info, Nick. =D

Last edited:
Alright, my first post. I started my Nuzlocke Challenge yesterday, havn't made too much progress, actually, but here goes.

Started off with a Piplup, simply because of the advantage against Roark; can't have Chimchar if I chose it dieing on the first gym, and I'd rather have a Piplup than a grass type... ugh.

"Rival ADHD wants to battle!" As you'd think, I won the battle easy, and went on with the tutorial. 5 pokeballs later, let the real challenge begin! I immediatly searched the grass in route 202; and I regret it quickly. I found a measly Level 4 Kricketot... .-. I caught it regardless, you never know when a suicide Bide might be useful... or not.

Going back, I went to Route 202 to hopefully catch a Starly, since it's a great poke to raise with a Piplup (Flying and Water moves cover a lot of types offensively). And lucky me, I found one; level 2, but it survived Piplup's pound with over half HP, even though Piplup was level 7, it must of had good stats. Pound number two, and I crit my first wild poke already! DX There goes one team slot, and on the first route of the game... -.-;

Moving onto Jubilife, I went to Route 204 to hopefully catch something helpful, like the Starly I had to crit... And ofcourse all I get is a level 4 Bidoof... I deposited it, since I'll use it as an HM slave later. Feeling unlucky, it's time for Rival battle #2; with only a Level 4 Kricketot and a Level 9 Piplup...

"Rival ADHD wants to battle!" Piplup wipes out his Starly with a few bubbles easily; he only got off one tackle, the other missing. But then out comes Turtwig, so I retreated to Kricketot. I bide'ed twice, but the first one he didn't attack me, and the second one he only hit once, so I chipped off half it's HP. But come a third tackle, and Kricketot is dead. Off to the Nexus with you...

Piplup barely mopped up with 6 or so bubbles, since Turtwig used Withdraw atleast 4 times before Piplup came in; it didn't know peck yet, so physical moves weren't an option. Regardless, Rival battle #2 was a (pathetic) win.

Moving through Route 203, I finally encountered another Starly! =D I promptly caught the level 4 Starling, even though it's stats were rather lackluster apon looking at the summary... Ah well. Moving on!

Starly: Level 4, Quircky, Tackle/Growl.

Since I'll be facing Roark soon, I wanted to catch a Geodude in the Oreburgh Gate cave, but no... instead, I found a Psyduck; I already have a Piplup so the piece of junk is just death fodder/an HM slave... 3 poke balls, and it's mine.

Off into the Oreburgh mines, I still really wanted that Geodude, or even an Onix; a Steel type would be useful if I kept it alive long enough to evolve. But what do I find instead? Nothing much better! A Zubat. -.- Useless. Off to the gym!

Last gym trainer, Piplup evolves, huzzah! Prinplup tore through Geodude and Onix with OHKO Bubbles (lolwut?), and pwnt Cranidos with a Critical Hit Metal Claw; neither of us would of OHKO'd eachother without a critical, so I'd of won regardless. Coal Badge down, 7 more to go.

Off to the rugged path, I trained up Starly on trainers the way there. Regarding rule 3, since I had both a Zubat and Psyduck, I spent a few minutes looking for Geodude; until I get impatiently frustrated, and check my dex. What a suprise, Geodude aren't in the Rugged Path. -_- I caught an extra Psyduck, which comes in handy later, and moved on...

Roffle stomped a few galactic grunts and evolved Starly, got the honey and key, pwnt more grunts (owned by "some kid"), and healed before fighting Mars. Galactic Admin battle!

Her Zubat was promptly owned by Staravia, and out comes Purugly, deadly as it is unappealing. Remember when I mentioned that Psyduck being useful? "Go, Psyduck!" "Purugly used Fake Out!" "Psyduck fainted!" A free switch was all it was good for. XD Staravia comes back out to Intimidate the Purugly, my key to victory. A Wing Attack-Scratch fight later, Staravia barely survives at 2 HP; I was suprised when Purugly moved first on the last turn, we were speed tied the entire time... If I didn't intimidate it, I would of lost Staravia already. Shows you need to be catious for Nuzlocke Challenges, eh?

TL;DR

Chose Piplup, owned Rival ADHD on both battles, caught a Kricketot (suicided to beat Rival... wasn't using it anyways) and Bidoof, accidentally critical hitted a Starly but caught another one, caught a Psyduck, a Zubat, and a Psyduck (where the hell's my Geodude instead of this shit? DX), pwned Roark with my evolved Prinplup, OHKOing each of his pokes.

Evolved Staravia, pwned Team Galactic at the Windworks, and sacrificed my second Psyduck to pwn Mars' Purugly. Pwnt. Heal. Save. Win.

Back to the center to heal, and that's where I left off. So far, so rediculously unlucky. Can it get worse? Damn right it can; and will. I'm expecting the worse soon... ... ... More to come.

Last edited:
How dare you insult the great Zubat!....OK, fine...I guess they are kinda boring. I honestly only like what Crobat looks like in the 3d games.

I really dont agree with Rule #3, I think it just takes away some of the challenge. But thats just my opinion, you do whatever you want.

I think Ill update on how Im doing in Emeralds Elite Four, since thats what Im doing now. My team consists of a Swampert, Beautifly, Sharpedo, Sableye, Lileep, and Doduo. After I grind some levels, I think Ill start.

Hola, Nicky. =)

Ya, rule #3 does take away from the challenge a bit, but noone wants to use the same poke twice/use it as death fodder. What if you encountered nothing but Bidoof as your first pokes in the beginning? It's more about making the challenge a bit more fun in terms of pokemon selection/less chance of epic bad luck pwning you. I see your point clearly, though, so that's why it's an optional rule.

A Beautifly, and on a Nuzlocke challenge, Nick? You really couldn't do better, or did you really want one on your team? :lol:

Well, I was aiming for a Dustox, but I guess my Wurple wanted to evolve into a Beautifly, which is fine with me. I like Beautifly, and just because its weak dosnt mean its not usable. Sure, it may not take hits very well, but it has pretty decent offensive stats. And with Hariyama dead, it will be very useful against the Dark-type user of the Elite Four.

At least Im not using Luvdisc or Unown.

Dustox isn't much better than Beautifly... And Beautifly's Sp. Atk caps at 306, but hey, if that puny bug's working for you, epic win, Nick. I wouldn't dare use a Beautifly on my first Nuzlocke playthrough. :lol:

At least Im not using Luvdisc or Unown.

Lol, indeed.

If anyone has a spare D/P/Pl, I'd do it. I don't have a place to trade my battle team to restart my Platinum, and I"m too lazy to do it via emulator on my PC. Sounds, interesting though. Is anyone here bored enough to narrate it and put it on YouTube?

Been awhile since I updated (been busy with other things; slacking on my playthrough), but hey, here it is.

Healed, evolved, and ready to pwn, onwards to victory--or fail, whichever comes first. I stopped by the windworks to catch something, and I get another water type; a Buizel, ugh... Caught it regardless, and moved on. Not much really happened; I caught a Budew and Buneary on Route 205 and in Eterna Forest, but... meh. I'm aiming to have a Roserade, but Roselia were quite common in later routes, so I stuck a Soothe Bell on Budew and left it rotting in my party, no battles.

Arriving in Eterna, Staravia pwned Gardenia and the gym trainers on it's own, no healing. 'Nuff said, lol. Proceeding to the Galactic HQ, I pwned all the trainers, healed, and returned to fight admin #2, Jupiter. Galactic Admin battle!

Staravia vs. Zubat was lulz. I just double team'd 6 times (evasion n00biness, I know...), and proceeded to OHKO it with Wing Attack after a super potion. But I double teamed for a reason; next pokemon in was Skuntank, a suprisingly strong poke, even for later in the game. It's rediculously powerful move, Night Slash, topped every single one of my moves so far. 70 Base Power, STAB made it 105, and a high crit ratio.

Sadly, double team came to no advantage; second Night Slash hit Staravia, and even worse, it was a critical... Staravia was felled in one shot, even with +6 evasion, and a pathetic chance to be crit'ed... T_T When I said I was expecting worse things to happen soon, I WAS BEING PSYCHIC! DX Into the nexus with you...

Prinplup proceeded to barely 3HKO with Bubblebeam, even after a Wing Attack. Skuntank would of barely 3HKO'd Prinplup with Nightslash, and since Staravia had only 12 less defense (I checked before I released it), it would of easily survived a crit-less Night Slash. UGH! All that leveling and gym-pwning for nothing but a crit. Damnit game freak...

Losing our first, full-playthrough poke already, I needed to replace it ASAP. A single Prinplup isn't the best strategy the entire game. I went East of Eterna to Route 211 hoping I'd find SOMETHING useful; and amazingly, I found a Machop right off the bat. Terrible stats and nature (Sassy; +SpD, -Spe), none the less I kept it and grinded it a small amount to make it a workable lv. 20, so it could atleast do some damage.

Leaving Eterna, we received a (Togepi) egg from Cynthia, and struggled our way through cycling road with a craptastic Machop and electrically-weak Prinplup, ugh. Beneath cycling road, I caught a Gligar; but I'm not interested in a Gliscor, so pass. I already visited the route below; Route 207; awhile ago, actually, but I wasn't paying attention, and KO'd the first poke I found, a Geodude. :lol: Woops.

Moving through Mt. Coronet, we caught a Bronzor with little trouble; he didn't spam Hypnosis, thank god, and confusion only made Prinplup attack itself once. Only one ball, too. But outside, we encountered some rediculous trouble...

As I predicted, I found a Roselia; and it was quite strong, actually. Laughable physical defense and HP, but it's Sp. Atk and to a degree speed was great. But it was a complete ***** to capture... Mega Drain and especially Magical Leaf 2HKO'd Prinplup and Machop when it leech seeded them; and it Stun Spored both of them. Must of missed my chance to catch it 3 times from paralysis, and being forced to switch each time to heal. I'm suprised I didn't lose any pokes trying to catch the damn thing. It must of took literally around 25 turns and 4 pokeballs, but I got it. It hasn't battled yet, actually (only lv. 20), but with my new Exp. share, it'l kill some pokes soon enough.

Arrival at Hearthome! I was distressed to find that Machop and Roselia wouldn't fare very well against Fantina, and Prinplup alone would probably be haxed to death from sleep and confusion. I came prepared and let Prinplup battle every trainer on the way, but if it didn't evolve in the gym, I was going to grind a bit. But lucky day, it evolved on the semi-last trainer. =D Time for a gym battle.

I destroyed all of Fantina's ghosts in one Bubblebeam, except Misdreavus, but all it did was Magical Leaf. And on a poke more than 10 levels higher, fully evolved, it did 6 damage. :lol: Game, gym badge 3 acquired. Would of been rediculously easier (and less cheap) if Staravia's normal typing was still... .-.

Off to Solaceon. I found a Ralts on the way; I was damn happy, until on turn 2 it used Teleport, GAH! No way around that, lol... Aside from me failing, I took the time to evolve Machop (which will soon be a Machamp) via trainer battles, and Roselia's next on the training list. Healed in Solaceon, and saved. Next up I'll acquire some items from the ruins, and head off to Veilstone. I'll tackle the tower on 209 once I teach my Machamp Payback.

I need to update more often, too much for one post, lol.

Last edited:
DP, sue me.

Actually... Nope. It was not a Double Post

Beat me to the post, lol.

If you want me to store your pokes for ya, I've no problem with it. Same as cloning for someone, except you just keep the pokes a bit longer; and less trading.

And honestly, they're hacked anyways. So you could probably just dissect the stats, and not even keep them in your box. I'm not sure what they're stats are, but oh well.

Done posting. Good bye.

What's too long, the first post or my over-detailed posts? I can make better TL;DR's if you want. :lol:

Im doing a run on Leaf Green. Sorry I couldnt update earlier, I was out of town. Heres my rules:

My rules:

-Release Pokemon if it faints
-Can only catch first Pokemon in each area
-Can only hold up to 3 healing items (Potions, Antidote, Ethers, etc)
-Battle Style must be Set, not Shift

Anyway, Im in Celedon City right now with the following team:

Charizard (Lizardon) lv.37

-Flamethrower
-Metal Claw
-Mega Kick
-Fly

Fearow (Fluzzard) lv. 35
-Peck
-Secret power
-Pursuit
-Mirror Move

Graveler (Bigoron) lv. 36

-Rock Throw
-Magnitude
-Rollout
-Defense Curl

Pinsir (Stagtite) lv. 19

-Brick Break
-Seismic Toss
-Cut
-Bind

Hitmonlee (Hitmonoris) lv.25

-Brick Break
-Jump Kick
-Rolling Kick
-Focus Energy

As you can see, Pinsir and Hitmonlee are still in training. And Im not teaching Fearow Fly because I think it will learn Drill Peck soon. As for the Water type, Im thinking Slowpoke (Shellder isnt found in LeafGreen, damnitt.)

Going to tackle the Rocket hideout and Erikas Gym real soon.

A lot of crazy **** happened recently.

I was training Hitmonlee, and some Koffing gets a critical with Sludge and poisons it in the same freaking turn, killing it. Damnitt...

After I beat Erika and the Rocket Hideout, I got the Poke Flute from Pokemon Tower. I took the long route to Fuscha City, killing the Snorlax, figuring I could just catch the other one. I also caught a Bellsprout on the way there.

I got the Surf and Strength HMs, and taught Surf to my Gyarados. Graveler swept through the entire Poison Gym no problem. And by Surfing, I encounter a wild Slowpoke, which I want to catch. But, instead of using Sleep Powder, I accidentally have my Victreebel kill it with Secret Power....nice. Luckily, I catch another one in Vermillion City, and grind it up to level 40.

Now time to invade Silph Co., which was taken over by Team Rocket. It wasnt so hard, I just had to heal at the Pokemon Center every 20 seconds cause I kept getting poisoned.

Then I go to take on Sabrinas Gym. Naturally, I thought it would be easy, since my already tankish Slowbro knows Amnesia. Of course, Im fu-king wrong. Her Calm Minding Mr. Mime Baton Tosses to Alakazam, which kills my Slobro with a Critical-hit Psychic. Now Im scared shitless, because this bastard has the potential to easily kill my entire team. Luckily, Charizard manages to outrun it and murder it with Fly. What a close call......geez.

Also, when I try to catch the Snorlax near Celedon City, I forget to bring enough Poke Balls, and fail to catch it. I r smart. At least I wasnt planning to use it on my team anyway.....

Ill try not to post so much in one update again, sorry.

To sum it up:

-Hitmonlee dies to some nerds Koffing
-Beat Erika
-Beat Rocket hideout
-Caught Victreebell
-Beat Koga
-Caught Slowbro
-Beat Silph. Co
-Slowbro dies to Sabrinas stupid Alakazam
-Beat Sabrina
-Failed to catch Snorlax

Current Team: