Picking up a PS3 this week

Budo

Raging Clue
Sep 19, 2007
Canadia
Does anyone have The Orange Box, and plays it online? How many servers does it have going? Is it hard to find a game to join? What are the pings like? Or if you have any other experience playing any online FPS on the PS network, regarding community size or quality of play, I'd be interested to hear about it.

The recent win for Blu-Ray, the ability to use a keyboard and mouse - and it seems to function exactly like a PC mouse - and the ability to upgrade the HDD with ease (I can safely buy the $399 version and upgrade the HDD later), made it a relatively easy decision to make. The only thing it doesn't have - yet - that I really wanted is the ability to install a Windows based OS, but I can live with that... for now :D

I have a few games on my list already:

Orange Box - have for PC, but want a 'portable' version (more portable than a PC tower, heh)
Drake's Fortune - looks adventure-y
Ratchet and Clank
Burnout Paradise - haven't played a good racing game in a few years
Rock Band - probably the first game I'll be buying
UT3 - possibly buy this; never been a big fan of the Unreal series though (Quake for me)
Army of Two - if the gameplay is good, I'll definitely be buying it this week

I'm just listing games that are currently out; I have a bunch more on my buy/check-out list when released. The only big disappointment I have, is that Left 4 Dead hasn't been announced yet for the PS3. I'd rather buy it on the PS3 now that I know I can use a mouse, as opposed to buying it for my PC.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you want Orange Box for PS3. From what I've read and heard the PS3 game is almost considered bad. The 360 and PC versions are the good versions.

I have Ratchet and Clank and very much recommend. Actually, as a whole, you've seem to have chosen pretty solid PS3 games.

Yup, that's pretty much exactly what I heard; there were frame dropping problems with the PS3 version. I'm hoping someone can confirm this, or if someone better up to date with the PS3 community could tell me if there's a patch planned for the game.

I highly suggest you do not get Army of Two right away. Im not saying it will suck but I am saying it could be a huge hit or miss. No one knows whether it will play as good as it looks. I would suggest waiting for the reviews and the opinions of the general public. Also the fact that EA is the one making the game is a very bad sign, just see how they screwed up the Orange Box port for PS3.

My personal recommendation would be Call of Duty 4 - For great gameplay and the best online experience so far.

Yeah I agree, call of duty 4 has one of if not the best online gameplay on the PS3 and 360 so far, I know this because I've played the online and it is pretty amazing. I recommend this game be one of your first choices.

Picked it up last night with Rock Band. It took a while to download the OS updates, but it's pretty sweet. I definitely like the flexibility and options over the Wii by far. I still need to buy a USB keyboard, but I plugged in an old Microsoft USB laser mouse I had laying around, and it worked instantly. I have it hooked up to my monitor right now, and it is running at 720p *thumbs up*

...and if Army of Two is any good, that will be my next game.

Last edited:
Games u wanna get for PS3....

Burnout Paradise
Call of Duty 4
Ghost Recon 2
Ridge Racer 7
Rockband
Warhawk
Gran Turismo 5 (4/15/08)

all i can say is BUY ROCK BAND AND UNCHARTED FIRST! lol rock band is tight and uncharted is probably one of my favorite games of all time.

gpoleweski said:
Lol...You can talk, Mr. Returned Rock Band!
woa, you stalkin me? lol jk i think i mentioned it in another thread. yeah i sold it cause i need cash but when it's cheaper im re-buying it lol. it's still tight.

Back