Pokemon Black&White Discussion

Splash_King

The Scrubbiest of Hunters
Jan 25, 2009
Nimbasa City
Wii Online Code
0129-0129-0129-0129
Unless any of you had been living under a rock a few miles beneath the earth's crust, you'd of caught wind by Pokemon Black & White by now. B/W, being the 5th Generation of Pokemon, meaning your typical formula of "battle, train, trade, beat the elite four" could easily be getting old by now, and already has for many. But B/W looks incredibly promising at the least in the new materials department.

Which brings us to this thread; discuss anything and EVERYTHING you want about B/W! What's your take on the new seasonal cycle system? Any predictions on the competitive metagame? Rants on how stupid/epic pokemon look? Terrified of the new triple battle mechanic? Want to know more about B/W? Post about it here! BEGIN DISCUSSION! :D Don't forget to use spoilers for the big stuff, most especially pictures and storyline.

Also, for all your B/W referrencing needs:

http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/

Last edited:
FIRST! :D :D :D

Lol no, let's get this discussion going! Most importantly of all, I want all of your opinions and expectations of B/W. What might suck, be epic, or your opinion of all of it together.

My own opinion on B/W are that the pokemon are mostly going to be rather forgettable. DPP had some winners and so did RSE, but... Gen 5 seems very "eh" right off the bat, to me. A lot of the pokemon seem either ugly, or boring and lackluster concepts, with a few of them atleast not looking bad.

On the evolution of the game, however... I've got a split opinion. There's a rediculous amount of junk being added to game mechanics, mainly with rediculous powerhouse pokemon, the Dream World giving access to tons of moves, and an entire pokedex of new pokemon to work with. It's gonna get crazy, lol.

But on the other hand, the competitive scene is going to cry... I already have a ton of suspects for overcentralizing the metagame. There's a new Garchomp-esque mono-dragon type on the scene with the highest attack of any non-legendary dragon; and it gets dragon dance. OSHI--game is my opinion. There's also a lot of other legend or not pokemon I'm suspecting right now, like the
Fire/Bug type legend with the new move Butterfly Dance
. The metagame is going to be beyond hectic at first. Many rediculously hard hitting pokes, and plenty of new mechanics.

Speaking of that, I don't think triple battles will make any scene in competitive. It may be attempted towards organization, but... ugh. That's just chaotic and open to far too many possibilities. Plenty of battlers I know still have doubts in doubles being balanced. There will be some of the most rediculous and overpowered combos known to pokemon-kind in triple battles too. It'l just be mayhem... I don't plan on getting involved, lol.

In short, I've got some mixed feelings on the entirety of Gen 5... Care to retort, anyone? :)

i wouldn't say the pokemon suck at serebii you'll get eaten alive by the "gay for pokemon fans". I think almost all of the new pokemon are lousy, i only like about 10.
during the pokemon league you get interupted by team plasma for a a legends battle, your main enemy gets the opposite legend of your game.
all get white still cuz gifs are cool!

Precisely why I never dared to step foot into Serebii's forums, lol.

@ spoiler: So they finally changed something in the plot? OMFG! Nintendo had a revelation.

Anywho, I thought I'd post my supposed team ASAP. I havn't looked into the gym leaders at all, or investigate what pokemon are where, I just looked at the pokemon I'm interested in. Obviously this team'l have spoilers towards the pokemon and possibly new moves, so... yeah. Avoid the spoiler if you really don't want ANY of the game spoiled. :lol:

Alright, so as we all know, the first member on our team is really the deciding factor in what the rest of your team should be, and thus, is quite important. Starting off my theorymon'd team, here's my starter:

#1: Pokabu/Emboar - http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/500.shtml

I've chosen the fire type for every generation for my first run, except for GSC (Chikorita <3), so the trend continues; even if everyone is saying the Water starter will be the best in-game. Being the aggro, all-out offensive player I am for EVERY game, strategy games like pokemon included, a Fire/Fighting type is definatly my style. Great attack stat, great HP, and a sufficable movepool (so long as I can find Brick Break in-game quickly... ), I thought I'd give Pokabu a try. And if not... BACON! =D

#2: Mogurew/Doryuzuu - http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/530.shtml

I next to never use Ground types very often on my in-game runs, or steel types since they aren't as aggro as I'd usually prefer. Doryuzuu takes the defensive stereotype of the two types and drills (someone had to make the pun...) right through it. A brutal max attack stat of 405 and great HP, as well as some grand resistances (and weaknesses as well...) make it an interesting poke. A lot of people would probably wonder why I don't use the Ground/Dark crocodile poke, but I'd rather use Doryuzuu for it's steel typing, superior attack power, and what I see as a better movepool. Keep it unevolved and you get Earthquake at lv. 33; sign me up. Rock Slide, Metal Claw for STAB, and plenty of TM options make me think Doryuzuu will be a functioning team member.

#3: Terrakion - http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/639.shtml

This slot was really questionable, but I was thinking about throwing in a legendary here for just my first run; either the legend of my game (as late as you get it), or the Rock/Fighting type Terrakion, caught almost as late at Victory Road. I'm interested in these three whatever-animal-legendary fighting types, and since I've already got a Steel type, I'll go with this guy. Epic all-around stats, a nice movepool, and an absolutely fantastic ability if you can take advantage of it, I severely doubt he would dissapoint unless he's highly underleveled by the time you catch 'em, which I doubt.

#4: Kibago/Ononokusu - http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/612.shtml

This thing is the Garchomp-esque Dragon Dance sweeper I mentioned earlier; look at the base stats and stare in absolute terror. Easily enough speed and MASSIVE attack to abuse Dragon Dance. Defenses not too frail to let it die immediatly. Mold Breaker to abuse nothing more than a Dragon move and EQ for perfect coverage (except for Skarmory and maybe a new poke, but... details). Draco Meteor to screw with said Skarmory (if this thing got Fire Blast...). Can Skarm even take a +1 Outrage more than once from this beast? And what if it just runs D-Dance, Dragon Claw, Taunt, and Earthquake? No phazing, no walling, no winning for you. BEAST.

And in-game, this thing can be caught at lv. 31, and evolves promptly 7 levels later, and again at 48 into this beast. I never run dragons in-game since they take so long just to evolve (don't say anything about #443 -.-), but I feel I can catch this thing at a late enough level to make use of it, so I'm definatly going for it.

Speaking of that, for those who want to know why I won't use the Dark/Dragon poke, it's useless until it's final evolution, which comes at lv. 60. Ugh.

I could of put more thought into that team, but it was late at night, and I don't think pokemon will ever be hard enough to make me go on a theorymon tangent, so... yeah. I think this team'l do, especially if I drop the legendary to give my other pokes a good exp. boost. Any comments or suggestions on it, do tell. And feel free to share your teams. =D

wow ^^^ i'm to lazy to post so much, but i'll post my in game team
Daikenki: i've alway's chosen water type for "looks alone" accept r/b i chose charizard.
Warurial: So awsome looking, i only choose pokemon on how there looks appeal to me.
shibirudon
ononokusu
wargle: "*shiny*"
zeburaika
my lazy typing ^^^^

You plan on getting a shiny right off the bat? =P

I've never been a fan of 6-poke teams, and never will. Too much grinding, too much party organizing, etc. etc. Your's seems balanced enough, though. Nothing weak, and nothing overpowered.

Speaking of overpowered, anyone keeping track of the legendaries should know by now about Genosekuto, this thing: http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/649.shtml.

It's base stats are anything but uber, but they are incredibly balanced, giving Genosekuto some natural bulk and even tankish properties thanks to having only a single weakness. It's not slow, either, and could possibly use mixed attacks.

But what could really give it a boost is it's rediculous offensive movepool; it gets Techno Buster, which can change to different types of moves depending on it's held item (most notably Water), and it learns BoltBeam and Flamethrower, among other powerful Special moves. While Electivire clearly showed type coverage will never be enough to make something epic, I think the options Genosekuto has might make it a seriously dangerous threat in the next OU metagame. Abusing Download correctly could give it a free boost too, which could make an all-out attacking set possible. Download can be abused no matter what too, if you give him self-destruct. ;D

This is especially true if forgoing a cassette hold item, adding in life orb instead, quite literally making Genosekuto a bulky Porygon-Z with epic super effective coverage. Deadly? Quite possibly. A shame it won't get any brilliant STAB; aside from Flash Cannon, which isn't brilliant. A shame it doesn't steal Attack Order from Vespiquen... 'Least he got Bug Buzz.

But now that I think about it, it's a shame Genosecuto's Techno Buster doesn't automatically get STAB with a Cassette, since that would actually make the item valuable, consider the move has 85 Base Power; 10 lower than the other standard moves I mentioned lower. So unless he REALLY needs water, his signature move is actually pretty crappy.

Also, if anyone discovers news on the Zoroark event outside of serebii, do everyone (and especially me) a favor and post it, yeah?

FIRST!!!111!!!11!one!!11

Mah boi, this team is what all true trainers strive for! Its perfect because it completely ignores strength, and focuses on awesome design!

497.gif
Jalorda (Smuglord) -http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/497.shtml

Must I say why? Its epicness is epic. Best design by far, and has many interesting strategies that sound fun to abuse, such as stat-up spamming and Leech Seed stalling. Who cares if its attacking stats arnt amazing?

528.gif
Kokoromori (Pseudobat) -http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/528.shtml

Its been a tradition of mine to train a Crobat at least once in every generation....but Black/White only have Isshu Pokemon pre-National Dex. So heres its replacement. Yeah, all its stats besides Speed are crap, but why should I care? Its front sprite is also lacking, but its Sugimori Art and backsprite look pretty cool.

553.gif
Waruvial (???)-http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/553.shtml

This thing is awesome. Not only that, but its also tough! But Im not one that likes my Mons being overpowered, so Im getting Intimidate instead of Overconfidence.

593.gif
Burungeru (Sir Gellington the 3rd) -http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/593.shtml

One of my favorite 5th Gen Pokemon! I love this thing, especially the male version. Not only is it awesome, but it looks like that Pringles guy, is a Special tank, has cool typing, and has awesome abilities! F-CK YEAH!

596.gif
Denchura (Archo) -http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/596.shtml

My favorite 5th Gen Pokemon! Super-duper-fast, Compoundeyes Thunder, and amazing design! Of course, amazing design is a recurring theme in this team, so.....why bother even saying it?

631.gif
Kuitaran (Antiant) -http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/631.shtml

lol pun....Not very many people actually use this fiery anteater. I think it looks awesome, so its on my team. Its also getting a cool strategy of using Claw Sharpen, then spamming Purgatory, Focus Blast, and Giga Impact! Yeah!

So theres my awesome team...F-CK YEAH GIBLE AND ZANGOOSE!

Last edited:
So theres my awesome team...**** YEAH GIB

Fuck the lancet, I'm killing you with a rusty fish hook. Slowly, painfully... ... ...

ANYWHO. LOL @ the pringles pokemon. :lol:

I'm sick of Zubats (everyone should be by now), so I wouldn't even think of using that new replacement, ugh...

Denchura deserves Zap Cannon. =/

Doryuzuu > Waruvial.

Ugly anteater is ugly.

Smuglord is epic, I can't deny that. But... who would have fun leech seeding in-game? >_>;

Fuck the lancet, I'm killing you with a rusty fish hook. Slowly, painfully... ... ...

I'm sick of Zubats (everyone should be by now), so I wouldn't even think of using that new replacement, ugh...

Doryuzuu > Waruvial.

Ugly anteater is ugly.

Smuglord is epic, I can't deny that. But... who would have fun leech seeding in-game? >_>;
Kuitaran ugly? lol, says someone using Emboar and that ugly bull-thing.

Waruvial owns that fatass mole in terms of design.

And stalling in game is totally fun, CK.

I dont understand why your so concerned about your Pogemans being powerful. Gosh, in-game is already easy enough, Id prefer to use weaker Pokemon to make it harder. Its not like your playing these competitive, CK.

Doryuzuu > Waruvial.

Ugly anteater is ugly.

Kuitaran ugly? lol, says someone using Emboar and that ugly bull-thing.

Waruvial owns that fatass mole in terms of design.

And stalling in game is totally fun, CK.

I dont understand why your so concerned about your Pogemans being powerful. Gosh, in-game is already easy enough, Id prefer to use weaker Pokemon to make it harder. Its not like your playing these competitive, CK.

BECAUSE I LIKE POWER WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Stalling in-game is repetitive and boring after the first 3 recovery moves, IMO. =P Then again I'm rediculously biased, since I've never run anything but an all-out offensive team since I first played, except for a single balanced team.

You read into my personal in-game team analysis incorrectly, Nick. I definatly capitalized on their massive power in the review, ya, but if all I wanted was strong pokes I'd of went with Mijumaru over Pokabu, and Waruvial over Doryuzuu. People are saying that Daikenki is the best of the trio, and I take their word. Waruvial's abilities are both much better than Doryuzuu's, and his stat placements are a bit more fitting to abuse said abilities with his slight more bulk. He's got a much better STAB, too, and is even more convenient at the time you can catch him.

I could take my game's legend over Terrakion entirely, giving it more EXP to rage over every other poke, too. I can't say anything being more powerful than Ononokusu, though. :lol: But hey, he's a dragon I can actually play in-game, so I want 'em, not because he's a damn bulldozer (and he certainly is).

Besides, look at my team's defensive stats. While my pokes are clearly stronger than your's, atleast they're all frail to a degree (except for Terrakion...). Rather than look for powerful attackers, I could just go for high BSTs (Base Stat Totals) like a douche, eh? =P

That, and I like the way my pokes look (Terrakion an exception again; it's not like it's ugly though, and I really want to try out a new legend without it being 100% uber material). I'm not going to choose an overpowered poke, broken or nearly, if it's ugly as sin.

Wait a minute...CK, change the title of this thread immediately. I already made a thread about Black and White. This one should just be for teams.

... Since when did anyone but mods have the ability to change thread titles, Nick? =P

Your thread's old and inactive though, Nick. Sorry to steal your thunder, but I say we leave everything as is. This isn't a strictly team-discussion thread, anyways. It's just leaning in that direction for now. I doubt team-discussion threads will be busy (if ever)anyways, atleast not until the metagame stabilizes (good luck with that...), or we miraculously get a huge influx of competitive battles.

ANYWAYS. What's your take on the Rotation/Triple battle mechanics, Nick?

Eh, I guess that Triple battles are pretty cool. Rotation battles are cooler since they require more prediction, and I just see them as being more fun. Are there any Rotation battles that you can do in-game that you know of?

My favorite new pokemon are Daikenki and Shandera by far.

I also like the mole thing and Wargle and the Electric Spider and a few others, but those two really shined for me.

My favorite would have to be...

....heck, lets do top 12.

1. Denchura
2. Rankurusu
3. Jalorda
4. Burungeru
5. Waruvial
6. Shibirudon
7. Pendoraa
8. Basurao
9. Kuitaran
10. Nattorei
11. Shandera
12. Ononokusu

This new generation is awesome! F-CK YEAH!

Back