Possible to Backup Wii games yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridewithme38

WiiChat Member
Mar 7, 2007
Ok i'm not looking to do anything illegal i've got a 16 month old daughter and am just looking to backup the games i already own JUST IN CASE!!(you have no idea how many scratched/unplayable CD/DVDs i've run into and broken controllers in the past)

So is there anyway to backup wii games yet...honestly i don't even really need a way to play these games unless something happens to the originals the only way to play backups is with a modchip right?

So sorry i ramble

Is there a way to backup Wii games that you already own yet?
AND
Can backups be played on the regular wii or do you need a modchip?

AGAIN THIS IS NOT FOR ILLEGAL REASONS THIS WOULD BE TO BACKUP THE GAMES I ALREADY OWN...BACKUP IS LEGAL FOR THIS REASON...$50 is too much to replace a game i already owned!!

Try putting the games out of her reach.

And yes you will need a mod chip. And now backing up is illegal if you look in agreements in most DVD and game software

As far as I'm aware, any kind of duplication (and therefore backup) would be illegal. It even states on DVD's (and I'm pretty sure it is the case for Games too) that evasion of the copyright protection is illegal.

Sorry, but if you're looking for a legal way, you will not find it. Illegal however, you will. Although it's forbidden (well, against the rules) to discuss (or ask how to do "backups") those kinds of issues on this forum (and many other forums too).

iantimmy123 said:
Try putting the games out of her reach.

And yes you will need a mod chip. And now backing up is illegal if you look in agreements in most DVD and game software

The EULA can say anything it wants. In the US you have the RIGHT to make back ups of any media you purchase regardless of what the EULA states. And also btw a EULA is NOT a law, it is a contract.

When addressing the legality of copying any electronic form of intellectual property, there is always debate. Whether talking about music, movies or games, manufactures fight to protect their copyrights, individuals fight to protect their investments and the reality of illegal piracy makes finding a mutually beneficial solution nearly impossible.

Typically, the public looks to the Fair Use Act and the Audio Home Recording Act of 1992 to define their rights. Though open to interpretation, in a nutshell, these Acts say that you may legally make a copy for personal backup purposes, if you were the one who bought (and still own) the original.

This backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic game, not for the purpose of acquiring financial gain.

The Audio Home Recording Act of 1992 also states that copyright holders can't sue the average user for making home copies of their music. But the studios' lawyers say that the recording companies are not required to make available the technology to make backup copies. This means that manufacturers of electronic media will try to make their products as challenging as possible to copy.

For more information on the Audio Home Recording Act of 1992, click here:
www.virtualrecordings.com

As long as your not selling or giving away the copies its legal in america...i don't know how it works in other countries...it works the same way with DVD/cd's VHS even cassette tapes...

i'm not the guy who's going to be renting games and copying them...that guys a criminal is taking money away from all of us! The games/DVD's they sell now are soo expensive because of people like them i hate those people...

My need to backup is just in case my daughter gets into the games cabinet and the dvd's get scratched and wrecked! she's 16months now but in less then a year she'll probly be playing games like Wareware and cooking mama with me and then i can guarentee i'll have a few scrached games...this is why i'd like copies...if i only let her use the copies and i keep the originals in a safe place i never have to worry

soo what i'm asking is legal and should be well within the rules of this or any other forum...

Soo let me ask again...Does anyone know if there is anyway to backup your LEGALLY OWNED copies of games in case something happens to the originals

Not to sound like an ass, but yes someone already answered your question. You do need a modchip. Now if your looking for the exact details of how to rip and burn wii games, I dont think thats within the rules of this forum. Try searching on google:yesnod:
And if your looking for a reliable retailer for what your talking about, try Divineo.com I have purchased from them twice in the past and they are reputable. Plus they give decent descriptions of the products they sell, and would probably be willing to answer questions via email.

Legal Information (Copyrights, Emulators, ROMs, etc.)

Thank you for your interest in Nintendo and our products. This section of our website is designed to answer questions you may have about our Intellectual Property ("IP" for short) rights. Here you will find information on such things as copyrights, use of game emulators, and counterfeit products. Please keep in mind that infringement of Nintendo's IP rights hurts not only Nintendo, but our players and the legitimate businesses connected with Nintendo. Counterfeiting is a serious problem not only for Nintendo but also the entire video game industry. Nintendo will continue to aggressively protect its intellectual property rights.
Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.
Are Game Copying Devices Illegal?

Yes. Game copiers enable users to illegally copy video game software onto floppy disks, writeable compact disks or the hard drive of a personal computer. They enable the user to make, play and distribute illegal copies of video game software which violates Nintendo's copyrights and trademarks. These devices also allow for the uploading and downloading of ROMs to and from the Internet. Based upon the functions of these devices, they are illegal.
Source:http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#download_rom

Ridewithme38 said:
your right Kyle sorry i should have been more specific...

So I will need a ModChip to Play backups of Wii games...The Next question was...is there an actual way to backup Wii games..as i've read things about them being DVD's written backwards?
can you link to other sites on here?
Are there any good writeups on Backup Wii games out there?
I understand your predicament, but you're going against the rules of this forum.
18. No Warez
Posting up and asking for illegal warez is strictly prohibited. This includes but is not limited to: ROMs, isos, and game cracks. Violation of this Rule will usually result anywhere from a Warning to a Ban, depending on the offence.
If you wish to ask, please find another way such as email.

This is good information Squall...but it kind of makes my point better then yours...you just highlighted the wrong section..first off this is asking about roms and says its illegal to download and play roms from the internet...none of which i will be doing....

Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

Now let me Explain what "The Backup/archival copy exception" is
This Exception States Exactly what this paragraph that your posted says it states...Copying/backing up a Game is ONLY legal if you are the rightful owner of the game and you are only doing so in the event that the original game may be damaged or destroyed...

So in other words...according to what you posted what i want to do is completely legal

Ridewithme38 said:
This is good information Squall...but it kind of makes my point better then yours...you just highlighted the wrong section..first off this is asking about roms and says its illegal to download and play roms from the internet...none of which i will be doing....

Now let me Explain what "The Backup/archival copy exception" is
This Exception States Exactly what this paragraph that your posted says it states...Copying/backing up a Game is ONLY legal if you are the rightful owner of the game and you are only doing so in the event that the original game may be damaged or destroyed...

So in other words...according to what you posted what i want to do is completely legal

Copyrights

A copyright is an exclusive right granted to an author of a literary, musical, audiovisual or artistic work, giving the author the sole right to reproduce and distribute that work. There are several different types of copyrights which are associated with Nintendo's products. These include various copyrights in Nintendo's software source code, executable code, game visual display, game music, game characters, product packaging, game manuals and labels; hardware chip microcode; artwork and publications.
You do not own the intellectual rights to the game, as you are not the author (unless you're doing homebrewing, in which case you are). Therefore what I posted still stands. Also,
Can Websites and/or Internet Content Providers be Held Liable for Violation of Intellectual Property Rights if they are Only Providing Links to Illegal Software and/or Other Illegal Devices?

Yes. Personal Websites and/or Internet Content Providers sites That link to Nintendo ROMs, Nintendo emulators and/or illegal copying devices can be held liable for copyright and trademark violations, regardless of whether the illegal software and/or devices are on their site or whether they are linking to the sites where the illegal items are found.
Is the reason why you're not allowed to ask for links to those sorts of things.

backup copies of your own software is not illegal... but with alot of the new copyright laws you must contact the person who owns the copyright to the information in order to make a copy of what you already purchased... so if you call up nintendo and they say its cool, go for it there are programs out that will let you copy... but depending on how its worded you do risk breaking the law if you copy information you own without permission first... when it comes to purchased information,games,movies,cd's they must give you the option to back it up or replace it if damaged... you are paying more or less for the information not the dvd or cd

they are gonna give you probably one of two options... you can make a legall copy for only yourself,or they will replace it if damaged... really i would prefer if they replaced it so you get a copy of original software and not just some black disk you copy yourself... that way if you ever decide to trade or sell the game there will not be any questions about it... and when it comes to
3rd party games you would need permission not only from nintendo but the people that license the product to nintendo...

Ok...That is what a copyright is...Since this thread is getting long I just want to ask a couple question that way us fighting back and forth will end

Why is it ok to tape show off of the television or music off the Radio?
Wouldn't the copyright rule hold in that case also?

Ridewithme38 said:
Ok...That is what a copyright is...Since this thread is getting long I just want to ask a couple question that way us fighting back and forth will end

Why is it ok to tape show off of the television or music off the Radio?
Wouldn't the copyright rule hold in that case also?
Those are broadcasts. The difference between TV shows and games are that people buy individual intellectual properties from a retailer. TV shows are transmitted.

Another example of different types of rights; If you look at the rental of DVD's, the rights to it are different and the rental copy is actually a lot more costly than a retail version.

Also, your arguement negates the fact that one needs specific programs and such to rip off the information from the disk, and they in themselves are illegal.

not always true.. just because you make a program that is made to make a copy of say a dvd, or game it is not up to you to get the rights to make the copy of the dvd or game.. its up to the person with that specific game or dvd.. thats why there are so many different dvd,game ripping programs all over.. its not there job to get the rights to copy that would be your own... this battle has been going back and forth in supreme court "i own it i should be able to copy it for my own use" "its my program they cant copy it without my permission they might sell it" the latest rulling forces the companys to give you access to a duplicate of the information you purchased... but it is up to the company who made that information to determin what they are willing to do be it let you make a copy or give you a copy when yours is damaged... eaither way you need permission from the person who owns that information... just give nintendo a call see what they say... if they wont let you copy it by law they have to supply you with a new copy if yours is damaged... this is just for the united states every country has there own rules for copyright laws... some none at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back