Question about Wiikey and mochips compatibility

mabhz

WiiChat Member
Apr 8, 2007
Couple of weeks ago I finally purchased my Wii (still to be delivered), and I would like to know if the current modchips avaliable today, specially Wiikey (which seems to be the best one), are compatible with the Wii models currently being sold, like the one I just purchased.

Im asking this because I have extensive experience with PS2, and Sony changed the motherboard very often, so modchips would be incompatible with new consoles available very often.

Do I need to wait for my Wii to arrive and open it to check for compatibility or I can order safely a modchip online today??

By the way, whats the best online store to order this kind of stuff??

THANKS for any input!

I think it will work perfectly fine. I've read post's on this site saying there Wiikey is fine but some have complety ruined the Wii, Like it won't work anymore. Just search Wiikey on google for a site.

rep me if helpfull

yep, right now the WiiKey is the most popular one (80% of Wii sold in Taiwan are moded with WiiKey), easy to solder on, and upgradable. I have a funny suspicion that the March Wii delay was to do with a new revision of the motherboard (let's wait and see), possibly with BGA (ball grid array packaging) chipset, which less solder points visible to to the hackers.

EDIT: I was going to give you the WiiKey website URL for you to check for compatibility

http://www.wiikey.cn/

However, just a few seconds ago, IT WAS SHUT DOWN! Nintendo lawyers are tracking them down!

Last edited:
I've read in other foruns, after I posted the same question, that Wiikey support is not 100% OK, that its bricking a lot of Wiis, and some functionalities are not working at all. Whats the truth about that??

Should i avoid Wiikey them???

Please, i need some advice....

Avoid the WiiKey because the developers have screwed their customers.

The WiiD is the best chip at the moment. Lots of updates have been posted for it even though its so new

modding is illegal in the US, its really stupid. No point in doing so. Theres word of new security in the newer wii models. Nintendo can send out updated firmware to detect the modchips.

Wiikey is fine...there support is somewhat questioned at the moment as their site is down and their firmware upgrade is yet to be released. I did allot of research on this matter as well and found that the wiikey was the one that suited me best(there are "free" mods available as well but require building/programming your own chip/programmer but I wanted something that worked out of the box with no added legwork).I have tested about 50 games so far on my Wiikey,(Wii and GCN) and only had one game fail...Eternal Darkness(GCN),as it uses audio streaming which is not "fully" supported by wiikey at the moment(it is implemented just not very well). Allot of people keep complaining about the latter as it also renders an original disc that uses audio streaming useless and I can understand this issue but it is only about 10 games max that use this feature. The clone wiikeys is also an issue and factor that wiikey is probably so reluctant to issue a FW upgrade,I know they are doing the exact same thing to Nintendo as the clones are doing to them but Nintendo hasn't dropped support of the Wii so I don't think wiikey will either. Somebody also posted here that wiikey will "brick" some consoles...that is 100% false. The people who screwed their Wii's either didn't know how to solder,take the Wii apart(screwed the drive cable) or in some rare occurances a PAL user DL'd a NTSC copy of Super Paper Mario and updated their PAL console with NTSC firmware(this could happen with any mod you have,not just wiikey).In short,just choose the one you want but do your own research first,don't ask around on forums(allot of idiots like me) as you'll get what we had here today,which is the way he wants it,well,he gets it.

Back