Reggie Criticizes Reviews

ABC said:
Not sure what that means but yes, I have "done many posts". :eek:ut: I like doing hot chicks as well.

If only liking something and actually getting to do something were the same thing.

vagrant said:
If only liking something and actually getting to do something were the same thing.

Bro, don't start following me around the boards now like a psycho commenting on everything I say. :hand:

ABC said:
Bro, don't start following me around the boards now like a psycho commenting on everything I say. :hand:

Actually if you look at the first page, I have been posting in this thread since it was made.

that was just more incentive to keep posting in it.

sracer said:
Sheesh. How about limiting your thinking to what I actually wrote.

nobody said better graphics aren't better. If you can't see that cartoony graphics is making the system more approach to non-gamers, then I don't know what to tell you.

The simplicity of the graphics in Wii Sports and Miis makes the system less intimidating to older, non-gamers. For these people, higher-res graphics = more complex gameplay. Heck, there are gamer fanboys that believe the same thing!

did i ever say that cartoony graphics make the system less approachable to non-gamers? no, i didn't think so. check out this quote from my earlier post in relation to wii sports...
"...its a great way of demonstrating the wii's capabilities & involving people who have previously been alienated by other more complex consoles..."

your arguing a point that i agree with, and im sure most people on this board do so why waste your energy? im not saying i don't like the way the game looks all im saying is better graphics are never a bad thing, i know for a fact that if my mum for example saw a game being advertised on TV that had the same concept as wii sports but had basically life like graphics she would be pretty damn interested. only reason i commented on your breast analogy was because it seemed pretty out of the blue to me, but i guess you should use what ever you need to get your point across lol... i mean somebody read that post? am i the only person who doesn't quite understand what your getting at? and jesus im going to write this in capitals...

I AM GETTING A WII. I AM GETTING WII SPORTS. IM SURE I WILL ENJOY IT IMMENSLY/ IT LOOKS LIKE A GREAT GAME.. BUT IF IT HAD GREAT GRAPHICS I WOULD STILL BUY IT. BETTER GRAPHICS WOULD NOT MAKE IT WORSE.. THEY MIGHT NOT MAKE IT ANY BETTER BUT THEY WOULDN'T MAKE IT WORSE!!! E.G. maybe if you could choose what clothes your wii wore? would they make the game a million times better? no. but would that alienate people? no. would that make them less attached to it? no! it would be a nice add on...

i also find the 7.5 ign gave wii sports was harsh also,they said it didnt have enough depth, but was it supposed to. Wii sports is something you can just get used to right awy and play, there wasnt meant to be depth. the red steel review on the other hand i can understand, that game is very bad, though ign didnt say it was bad they said it was not bad, but not good, they gave ita 6.

i dont think its fair for magazines to criticise wii sports for not having enough "depth" aslong as it feels responsive & its easy to pick up & use then its achieved its goal. if it was a game made for retail then it would be different... but its not, its just a freebie thegood people at nintendo packaged in with a very fairly priced console so when you take that into account, you can't really fault the game... aslong as it feels responsive - i can't comment on that side of things, haven't played it but it looks good :D

all_eyez_on_me_88 said:
a very valid point but the bad thing is all i ever see advertised personally is wii sports & all though its undoubtedly going to be a fun game, people who don't know much about the wii ( e.g. some hardcore gamers who avoid nintendo systems due the the stigmata attached to it - "poor graphics" & "kiddy games" etc etc :eek:ut: ) will probably think games with these graphics is all the wii is capable. i know thats the impression alot of my playstation fan boy mates have got. philistines :arf: obviously i set them straight after they make this mistake & have converted quite a few. just doing my bit for nintendo :D

How stupid does someone have to be, to believe that a $250 machine is only capable of producing 'Wii Sports' graphics?

all_eyez_on_me_88 said:
p.s: i've said it once & i'll say it again, nintendo! you already have the kiddy audience locked! now you need to cater abit more to the hardcore gamers who also like maturer games, cos lets be honest, its all well & good having kids love your system but most kids are broke, its the hardcore gamers who are gunna make you most of your money!

While i agree that they should try and cater to the hardcore gamers, it's not entirely true that that's where the money is. Most hardcore gamers also have bills to pay, whereas, with children, they'll most likely get a few games for Christmas, birthdays, and possibly with chore/pocket money etc.

Last edited:
well there must be a fair few stupid people walking round then cos a fair few people i have spoken to have been under the impression that nintendo is just for kids & often counter my argument of "get the wii. its going to revolutionize gaming" with something like "yeah, but have you seen the PS3's graphics!". yes the PS3 graphics are better, but wii sports is hardly the best display of the wii's power...

now just hear me out here.. you from the UK? right, Marks & Spencers adverts - they advertise their most highest quality gormet food, do they sell less quality food? yep. is it as nice? pretty much yeah. they advertise the nicest stuff as it gives the audience an impression of the full extent of what they are capable of. convert this into gaming terms - doesn't it make sense for nintendo to also give some coverage to the nicer looking games as well as wii sports? im not saying they shouldn't advertise it. they should, its clearly working. im just saying it wouldn't hurt to see a nice mix of all the launch games, not just wii sports. i havent seen that many commericals on TV but 90% have just been about wii sports. i've seen one red steel ad (last night!) and like 2 zelda ones. to me, it would make sense to advertise them all together abit more, as well as seperately, thus catering to hardcore gamers & non-gamers alike.

"Most hardcore gamers also have bills to pay, whereas, with children, they'll most likely get a few games for Christmas, birthdays, and possibly with chore/pocket money etc."

yes this is true, but i have 2 points to counters this. 1 - true their are alot of spoiled kids who get a **** load of games, but theres also alot of kids who don't get such a sweet deal e.g. my first console was an N64 after begging for about half a year, and i only had enough cash to get one game, goldeneye, which lasted me for a whole year. my family aren't broke, but my parents didn't spoil me which i thank them for. 2. i see what your saying, but while kids aren't exactly hardcore gamers, they do game alot & were already well into gaming way before the wii. in other words kids were always an audience, they don't need to go too far out of their way to let us know this. if i could give nintendo one piece of brief advice it would simply be "keep up the good work, keep making more lighthearted games but make sure theirs plenty of more hardcore games to keep us all happy" :D

I agree, Red Steel should have been given a better chance by reviewers.
Also, reviewers should definitely not forget about scoring the graphics, because that would give an excuse to Developers to just completely make games with shitty graphics, but I think they should of let Wii Sports slide, after all, its free.

now just hear me out here.. you from the UK? right, Marks & Spencers adverts - they advertise their most highest quality gormet food, do they sell less quality food? yep. is it as nice? pretty much yeah. they advertise the nicest stuff as it gives the audience an impression of the full extent of what they are capable of. convert this into gaming terms - doesn't it make sense for nintendo to also give some coverage to the nicer looking games as well as wii sports?

I've got to say that this one of the most lucid analogies I have seen for a long time. :thumbsup:

Getting back to the original point about Reggie critising the reviewers (see also this thread: http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-chat/11590-reviewers-being-too-harsh.html)
Of course Nintendo are going to be on the offensive regarding any critical comments of their new system - hell wouldn't we all! I feel that reviewers are underestimating the power of experience over looks and sounds and this is where the problem will lie, for a little while at least. Reviewers; on the whole; are still expecting 3rd gen performance to be about power (looks/sounds) and tie in nicely the experience of mashing buttons to achieve the experience - NOT SO with the Wii....they are looking in Wiisports for something deeper BUT the something deeper isn't on screen or in your ears, it's in the smile you get from actually swinging you arm to get a strike or punching your mate in the kisser or or or etc.... this concept isn't native to traditional gamers, hell it isn't native to anyone stood in front of a tv!!!

As soon as reviewers and naysayers alike commit to the "experience" instead of looking for something on-screen to excite then there will be negativity for sure.

I think we can all agree that whatever the graphics if the game's pants then the games pant's.

Have you seen your typical game reviewer? If the game sucks like Gundam, they can't give it a 1/10? Why put a 1-10 scale if you won't ever go below 3(most times)? Why give games like Zelda a 8/10? They know if they hug middle ground more they win. Most games on the market are garbage. Show me any game reviewer that agrees, and I'll show you their lack of income. They get paid to stay on the middle.

sagema said:
Have you seen your typical game reviewer? If the game sucks like Gundam, they can't give it a 1/10? Why put a 1-10 scale if you won't ever go below 3(most times)? Why give games like Zelda a 8/10? They know if they hug middle ground more they win. Most games on the market are garbage. Show me any game reviewer that agrees, and I'll show you their lack of income. They get paid to stay on the middle.

which is why 5 point scale reviews are the way to go (xplay does this)

1=horrible, 2=poor, 3=average, 4=good, 5=great

Back