SD Card

Spiritshotgun said:
Absolutely jack crap to be quite honest. I would be one VERY happy person if they made it to where you could save your games to SD cards and take them to your friends house.

I don't care "jack crap" about taking games to a friend's house. I understand the use of the SD slot to view pictures taken with a video camera.

At the moment, I'm still playing the Sports Pack and don't have any full game titles. However, I am looking at a couple (one of which is the Tiger Woods golf game.) With the expanded "Woods" game, I would assume that it's possible to "save" a round of golf at say the 11th hole and then pick it up later from that spot by a "save" option after turning the Wii off and then back on later. Is that an option and if so, does a person need an SD card to save a game in progress or is there enough memory in the Wii to save a game in progress?

Re the DVD Wii games, can a master DVD game be copied on to a blank DVD in order to insure that the master DVD is not damaged during use? It seems like a person should be able to use their backup copy for game play. In the manual, it states that one should remove a game DVD from the Wii when not in use in order to prevent damage to the DVD. For the last two weeks we've been leaving our Sports Package DVD in the player all the time. Is this bad procedure?

You dont need an SD card to save game progress, the Wii has its own memory, but if you fill that up, you can use SD cards for memory.
It's better if you dont leave the game disc in the console.

+Maniacal=Maniac+ said:
What Kind Is It? Is It A Micro/Mini? Cause That Won't Work... It Has TO Be A Standard-Sized SD Card.

Yes Micro and Mini SD cards will work as long as you have an attachment for the card. I know this because I am using a 2GB Micro in my Wii. Also as of now the Wii will only recognize SD cards up to 2GB. Any brand will work and there is a Help page on Nintendo's website that can walk you through it all. It even tells you how to format the SD cards if the Wii does not recognize it. Good luck

ciper said:
Can you cite your source? I've never read that...

He is correct. You are able to save games on to an SD card.

Copy Data to an SD Card

Important note: To save Wii console data (such as saved games, Messages, etc.) you must first connect your Wii console online and download the System Update. For more information on connecting your Wii console online, please click here.

1. To copy Wii game save dataInsert a compatible SD Card into the SD Card slot on the front of the Wii console, just below the disc drive.
2. Access the Wii Data Management screen (how to).
3. Select the file you want to save and select "Copy."
4. Select "Yes" to "Copy to SD Card."

Please note that while it possible to copy Virtual Console games to an SD Card and load onto another Wii console, the games will not be playable if they have not been previously downloaded from the Wii Shop Channel to that particular Wii console.

To save Message Board data to an SD Card
1. If you get a message on the Wii console that there is no more room for additional Message Board data, insert a compatible SD Card into the SD Card slot on the front of the Wii console.
2. Confirm that you want to save data to the SD Card.
3. A set number of messages will be saved to the SD Card, starting with the oldest messages.

Please note that if you do not insert an SD Card after the memory-full message, the oldest messages will be deleted automatically.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/data.jsp#SDcopy

AlexDP said:
According to Nintendo, the Wii only recognizes SD cards with 2 GB capacity or less. So, a 4GB wouldnt work (supposedly). I'm not about to try though :p

Many devices (camera, PDA, etc) that said they supports up to 2GB SD are actually 4GB compatible too. Sometimes it requires a driver update to support the FAT32 format. I am not sure if Wii support Fat32 or not.

Update:
I found one guy claiming his Wii can read the files from a 4GB SD in another forum. There are also reports that Wii supports FAT12, FAT16, and FAT32. So I guess it is very possible that the 4GB SD may work in Wii.

Last edited:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/sdCards.jsp#purchase

SD Cards

SD Cards are used for data storage in many digital cameras, cell phones, and PCs. The Wii console accepts SD Cards. MiniSD and microSD Cards can be used with the Wii when they use their respective adapters.

SD Card

miniSD Card
and Adapter

microSD Card
and Adapter

An SD memory card can be used to store Wii-related data such as game save information, certain data from the Wii Channel applications, and to transfer compatible data (such as digital photos and MP3s) to the Wii console from other devices.

What do you need help with?

* Can't write to SD Card
* Using an SD Card
* Identifying compatible SD Cards
* File types compatible with the Photo Channel
* Known compatible Digital Cameras, Digital Video Cameras, and Cell Phones
* SD Card troubleshooting

Can't Write to SD Cards

Wii allows you to save game progress and other data right to the console's internal memory. An SD card is not required. However, we understand that players may want to use an SD Card to back up their data.

To write to an SD Card, the Wii console requires a downloaded update. To download updates you will need to connect your Wii to the internet. For information on how, please click here.

Please note, without the update, you can still transfer data off an SD card for use in the Photo Channel. This allows you to view your images, movies, and listen to mp3 files.

If you wish to use an SD Card as a storage device, but are unable to connect your Wii console online or have no plans to do so, please call 1-800-255-3700 for available options.

Using an SD Card

* To use an SD Card, open the SD Card Slot cover on the front of the console and insert the SD Card.

* For information on viewing your SD card's photos with the Wii console, click here.

* For information on organizing Wii console data to an SD Card, click here.

Not getting an SD Card to appear as a storage option when inserted? Click here for assistance.

Identifying Compatible SD Cards

Not all SD Cards are compatible with the Wii console. Please read the following:

* The Wii console is only compatible with SD Cards that are 2 GB (Gigabyte) or less. Cards with a capacity higher than 2 GB will likely not work with the Wii console.

* SD Cards with a slow speed may experience slow transfer time when loading files, or may not work at all. Slow transfer times can also occur with SD Cards that have a great number of files on them.

* While any SD Card with the above specifications may work, Nintendo has licensed specific SD Cards for use with the Wii console. You can identify these cards by the Nintendo Seal on the packaging of the SD Card. The following is a list of known licensed SD Cards and their manufacturers.

o Bensussen Deutsch & Associates, Inc. (BD&A) Switch and Carry
2 GB, 1 GB, 512 mb

o SanDisk
2 GB, 1 GB, 512 mb

The Official Nintendo Seal

Please note that even with a compatible SD Card, some devices may create image or movie files that are not compatible with the Wii Console. Click here for more information.

File types compatible with the Photo Channel
The Photo Channel can display or play files in the following formats and sizes:

* Image Files:
Format: JPEG, baseline only
Size: Up to 8192x8192

* Video Files:
Format: Quicktime (motion JPEG)(.mov files)

* Audio Files:
Format: MP3

Please Note the Following:
o Some files in the above formats may not work with the Photo Channel.
o The audio components of some video files may not be playable.
o Using an SD Card with slow transfer speed may result in longer load times or irregular video playback.

Known Compatible Devices

Even with a compatible SD Card (read more), some devices may create image or movie files that are not compatible with the Wii Console. We have tested many devices for compatibility with the Wii Console. Please use the links below to view devices we know to likely be compatible with the Wii console:

* Compatible photo devices
* Compatible video devices

Last edited:
But if you start to use up your system memory you can move older game data to an SD and free up space on your system. But he is correct that you do not need an SD card. The wii has internal memory and there is the ability to save game data on the SD Card.

right now i love the 2.0 GB sandisk sd memory card. u can never worry about leaving some room for memory. u can save all u want. and plus the white look on the sd card makes it look nice and perfect for wii.

chach said:
where can you find those usb ports i cant seem to find those anywhere

setupTVAV.gif

See the two rectangle ports on the upper right picture of the Wii, that is the two usb ports

Back