Sega Dreamcast VC?

dakster said:
The wii DOES have a dvd drive in it. Ask anyone with a wiikey modchip and a dvd burner....

Wii discs are single layer DVD discs, simple as that. It's up the DVD drive to determine if the disc is a valid wii disc or not, and report that back to the wii system.
*looks at back of Wii game case*, hmm, nope, no DVD logo anywhere on the box, no proof that Wii games are on DVD, and yes, if the games are on any sort of DVD, the DVD logo will be on it, for example, XBOX and PS2 games (and I guess PS3 games on DVD, but I don't think there are DVD PS3 games), have a DVD logo on the back of the game's case, if you don't believe me, go look for yourself, as for it being a DVD, as simple as that, not only is the DVD part incorrect, but the fact of it being simple as that, the Wii games as well as gamecube games are read from the outside in, unlike a simple DVD, that is why, and I know this for a fact, a computer's CD/DVD-ROM drive will not read them, I tried putting a game in my mother's laptop and it failed to read the disc, if it were and average DVD, the data on the disc would not run, but the disc would at least read, just like PS1/2/3 discs, they all read in a computer's CD/DVD/Blu-Ray-ROM drive, and the only proof I can give is, try it out yourself, you will be pleasently supprised

Mmmmk. So I'm sure if you look at all the howto's that show you how to rip Wii games WITH A DVD drive in a PC, and burn the resulting DVD ISO'S to a DVD-R, and they play perfectly in the wii with a modchip are full of it.

I'll admit it is possible that the reading is done from the outside in, which would explain why it takes a DVD drive in a PC almost 3 hours to read/rip it using drive debug code.

Never the less, the discs/lasers are DVD lasers and discs. Regardless of which direction the data may be recorded. Go check afterdawn.com forums under nintendo wii, those howtos on ripping/burning wii discs and gamecube discs work.

Or, you can look for a logo on the back of the box. Clearly the most technical means of looking into this.

[edit]
Looked into it more, you're right, the disc in both read from outside in. That's the only difference, they are dvd lasers and discs. Once you rip the wii dvd's with the rawdump tool (which I assume makes the specific LG drives it's designed for read backwards), you burn the resulting dvd .iso using a standard dvd drive/dvd-r. Nero, or any other program can be used.

Last edited:
They NEED to make a dreamcast VC. I would buy everygame that would comeout.

Nintendo should read the stuff on this forum, they would make millions.

dakster said:
Mmmmk. So I'm sure if you look at all the howto's that show you how to rip Wii games WITH A DVD drive in a PC, and burn the resulting DVD ISO'S to a DVD-R, and they play perfectly in the wii with a modchip are full of it.

I'll admit it is possible that the reading is done from the outside in, which would explain why it takes a DVD drive in a PC almost 3 hours to read/rip it using drive debug code.

Never the less, the discs/lasers are DVD lasers and discs. Regardless of which direction the data may be recorded. Go check afterdawn.com forums under nintendo wii, those howtos on ripping/burning wii discs and gamecube discs work.

Or, you can look for a logo on the back of the box. Clearly the most technical means of looking into this.

[edit]
Looked into it more, you're right, the disc in both read from outside in. That's the only difference, they are dvd lasers and discs. Once you rip the wii dvd's with the rawdump tool (which I assume makes the specific LG drives it's designed for read backwards), you burn the resulting dvd .iso using a standard dvd drive/dvd-r. Nero, or any other program can be used.

Looked into it more, you're right, the disc in both read from outside in
Thank you, all I was looking for

I don't know what it is, but usually, people never believe me on a topic until they look into it themselves (one of the reasons we should all show proof, links, images, videos, etc.), I am a self learner on most technical things, and because of it, I know a lot of things that most wouldn't really think of, some things I learn on forums like this (the more repeditive, the higher chance it is true), others are just common sense

[Edit]
It's a tie, you were right about the DVD fact, I was right about the outside to inside
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_GameCube_Game_Disc

Last edited:
dakster said:
The wii DOES have a dvd drive in it. Ask anyone with a wiikey modchip and a dvd burner....

Wii discs are single layer DVD discs, simple as that. It's up the DVD drive to determine if the disc is a valid wii disc or not, and report that back to the wii system.
yeah i am sure if someone wrote a program for dvd playback on the wii it would work well. i am sure will see something like this when the wii linux comes out whenever that is

The problem with playing dvd movies is that they're recorded from the inside out as standard DVD's are.

As gamechaser001 pointed out, the wii dvd's are recorded from outside in. Not a problem if the DVD drive in the wii is capable of reversing its motion. This isn't necessarily all software related. There could be real mechanical issues for the wii drive to smoothly operate in the opposite direction. The reason they may be holding off on dvd movie playback for future versions is that they could still be working on a dvd drive that can go both directions well.

I place emphasis on the "well". The LG drives used in PC's to rip wii games, I would assume, runs backwards when ripping a wii disc. That would be why special software is required to do it. However, it takes almost 3 hours.

It's possible, if it does rip the wii discs from the outside in, that forcing it into this method of operation it really wasn't designed for is the source of this 3 hours. Might not be fast enough to stream the movies if the wii dvd drive had similar performance issues.

However I'm making a number of assumptions in this post, but I think they could be reasonable assumptions. Just food for thought. I would guess that those of us who already have wii's will not be able to play dvd movies, even with a software upgrade.

dakster said:
The problem with playing dvd movies is that they're recorded from the inside out as standard DVD's are.

As gamechaser001 pointed out, the wii dvd's are recorded from outside in. Not a problem if the DVD drive in the wii is capable of reversing its motion. This isn't necessarily all software related. There could be real mechanical issues for the wii drive to smoothly operate in the opposite direction. The reason they may be holding off on dvd movie playback for future versions is that they could still be working on a dvd drive that can go both directions well.

I place emphasis on the "well". The LG drives used in PC's to rip wii games, I would assume, runs backwards when ripping a wii disc. That would be why special software is required to do it. However, it takes almost 3 hours.

It's possible, if it does rip the wii discs from the outside in, that forcing it into this method of operation it really wasn't designed for is the source of this 3 hours. Might not be fast enough to stream the movies if the wii dvd drive had similar performance issues.

However I'm making a number of assumptions in this post, but I think they could be reasonable assumptions. Just food for thought. I would guess that those of us who already have wii's will not be able to play dvd movies, even with a software upgrade.
This isn't necessarily all software related. There could be real mechanical issues for the wii drive to smoothly operate in the opposite direction.
I could be wrong, I don't know much about the operating of an optical drive, I know what they can do, but not 100% how they operate, but the way I think of it, all an optical drive is is a laser on 2 poles with a motor in it, and some "brain" or programming in other words to control it, right? This probably isn't the best way to describe it, but let's say I tell you to raise your hand, the message gets interpreted by your brain, right? Then, the brain tells your hand to raise, your muscles do the work (motor), but your brain tells your muscles what to do, kind of like the software or firmware, so as your brain controls your arm and hands, the software tells the laser where to focus on the disc and start reading, right?

And I may be wrong here too, but, isn't a mod chip nothing more than a ROM firmware chip? Telling the Wii to act differently than it's meant to (firmware is software on a chip, and a chip of course is hardware, so it's software on hardware)

So, in theory, if what I say is correct, Nintendo can just make an update with the feature to read some standard discs, as long as they permit the code it is running, therefore, they can still make their Wii discs bakwards, but play inside to outside burned media like SEGA CD and dreamcast, and who knows, maybe Nintendo can make some mixed content Wii games

smartypants said:
ZX Spectrum would b a welcome vc, though any foreigners outside the uk may not know of it.
wow i was actully thinking of this a while back it would be good for the usa to discover games that they never played i never owned one as i live in the us but i have played some emulated stuff "Hong kong fuwee #1 super guy"

Back