Selection process for Virtual Console titles...

mechcon

WiiChat Member
Jan 3, 2008
Adelaide, Australia
Okay, I've been intrigued about this for ages now.. well.. since I got the Wii.. but how does the selection process work with what games they select that gets released each week on the Virtual Console? I'm baffled.. and who can we contact.. or shall we have a weekly/fortnightly poll here to have a vote on what we'd like to see next? There'd be a few titles on every console pasted there I'd love to see soon (one for each console for now :p)

Neo Geo: Samurai Showdown
NES: Battletoads
SNES: Chrono Trigger
N64: Golde.... err Diddy Kong Racing
Mega Drive: errr.. hmmm mega drive game.. *shrug* Sonic and Knuckles?
TG16: Wish I played more of that console when I was a youngun.. but I recall playing Die Hard.. which..was...weird..

But I'm sure there's been many posts like this... right?

I would imagine the games are chosen and released by mutual consent between Nintendo and the various publishers of the games. There doesn't normally seem to be any pattern to releases (except that the first Friday of the month sees Sega games in Europe, although that didn't happen this month so it might not be true anymore), so I assume Nintendo just releases them whenever they feel like it.

Oh yes, and the upcoming release dates (except TG-16 games) aren't revealed in advance.

Last edited:
Napalmbrain said:
There doesn't normally seem to be any pattern to releases .

There is a kinda pattern
Its the order they come out

So it's random on the decisions then? I don't know, it's just bizarre to find exclusive games on the european/australian sore that's never been in the market outside of japan (not that that is a bad thing.. in fact a very good thing)

Oh I don't know, BRING ON SAMURAI SHOWDOWN PLEASE :D

the pattern is:

they dangle only the most slight of morsels in front of your mouth. they only put out what you will barely buy, so you will buy the garbage games, while waiting with your cash 4 years for the good titles......you want a game? well you well get its shitty predessecors first, to extract a full $60 from you to play STreet Fighter 1-2A zero Alpha Lemer Romeo. they get maximium ****age out of their 10000 game library.....

At least thats what I think.

I really wish they use the Everybody Votes Channel on the Wii to let people vote and decide which games should be released next week. Its more useful than voting on topics like "Do you sneeze with your eyes open?".

westearth said:
I really wish they use the Everybody Votes Channel on the Wii to let people vote and decide which games should be released next week. Its more useful than voting on topics like "Do you sneeze with your eyes open?".

You know, I'm kind of glad they don't let us vote. Those votes would be so full of Nintendo fanboys we'd probably never get to see another Sega or Hudson game again. I'd rather have a bunch of obscure games with a chance that a few of them may be gems, than week after week of crappy overrated NES games.

Napalmbrain said:
You know, I'm kind of glad they don't let us vote. Those votes would be so full of Nintendo fanboys we'd probably never get to see another Sega or Hudson game again. I'd rather have a bunch of obscure games with a chance that a few of them may be gems, than week after week of crappy overrated NES games.

I agree, however, with the current set-up, the voting process will let users pick just one game, because the channel only has two options from which you can pick one. Nintendo can still pick the other game(s) on their own. I myself love unknown, obscure games, especially those released only in Japan, so I want those kind of games too.

westearth said:
I agree, however, with the current set-up, the voting process will let users pick just one game, because the channel only has two options from which you can pick one. Nintendo can still pick the other game(s) on their own. I myself love unknown, obscure games, especially those released only in Japan, so I want those kind of games too.

good ideas, but if they would just steadily release 5 games a week, 1 per system, we wouldnt even have to bother.....and nintendo seems to be lazy, so dont expect them to set up the vote thing with the VC anytime soon....sounds like work to me.

Conan the Librarian said:
nintendo seems to be lazy, so dont expect them to set up the vote thing with the VC anytime soon....sounds like work to me.

I disagree. It doesn't involve any work at all. All they have to do is code the question "Which VC game would you like to be released in two weeks?" and then give two choices for answers. They already have a channel that is capable of doing that, so it won't involve any extra week.

And I said two weeks because they have enough time to prepare the game for download on VC, or it could be a longer/shorter time depending on what is involved with preparing a game for VC.

Here check this, a site devoted to covering information on all the VC games released and the titles soon to come. Info includes description, points the game requires, gameplay footage (for most), user comments and overall ratings.

Site : vc-reviews.com
Games out Now
Soon to Come

bookmarked!!

too bad none of the square rpg's on the snes are coming out in the near future :(

Secret of Mana, Chronotrigger, final fantasy 3/6.. oh where art thou :p

Back