The Wii is NOT "kiddie"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is intended for everyone and not a specific person -

You are a moron if you think game ratings are related to how "kiddie" the system is. Most of the games rated M are played by teenage boys.

Take for example Final Fantasy 7. Its rated Everyone but its not "kiddie"

IcedEarth81 said:
No respect for what came before. Zelda and Mario were hardcore way back in the 80's. The original Zelda is still a huge challenge. Mario 3 is still a tough tough game.

The game may not be what you like, and that's cool. But don't refuse to label it hardcore simply because it doesn't involve gunplay and blood.
I take offense to what you say. Katamari Damacy is hardcore.

Zelda and Mario of the 80's are not the same thing as the Zelda and Mario games of today. The design, movement and even gameplay are drastically different.

Mario 3 has nothing to do with Super Paper Mario. In fact I doubt any of the people who worked on Mario 3 have also worked on any of the new Mario games.

Last edited:
Many people have labeled the wii as kiddie because a majority of the games mediocre games with licenses that appeal more to children. I’m not saying that adults can’t and don’t enjoy the games but older men and women who do not have the kids typically look at the library of games and seen mainly cartoony titles. Sure there are plenty of games out and coming soon that would appeal to the more traditional gamer but so far most have been mediocre or just plain bad such as Red Steel, Splinter Cell, Farcry to name a few. Even if the more mature titles are decent they have just been over priced last gen ports. Combine this with the fact Nintendo has always kept a kid friendly image especially compared to Sony or Microsoft.

Nintendo is going to continue primarily focusing on the casual and younger audiences, so more traditional gamers who tend to be older and looking for more mature titles are going to continue referring to the wii as kiddie. Personally I think it’s pointless to argue about a stupid console stereotype especially in this case where the wii caters more to a casual and/or kiddie audience in general. I also don’t see the stereotype changing until the quality of wii games goes up, we see more titles that focus on wider audiences besides casual and kid gamers, and some more new intellectual properties such as Day of Disaster, Dragon Blade, Sadness, and so on.

Some of the many games that many may consider kiddie:
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Adventure 7.8
Tamagotchi: Party On! Board 3.5
Mario Party 8 Party 5.2
Legend of the Dragon Fighting 3.8
Shrek the Third Action 6.0
Cooking Mama: Cook Off Other Action 5.8
Bionicle Heroes Action 5.0
Disney's Meet The Robinsons Action 6.8
TMNT Action 5.5
Sonic and the Secret Rings Platformer 6.9
Ant Bully, The Action 4.5
Avatar: The Last Airbender Action Adventure 5.1
Barnyard Adventure 5.8
Cars Racing Action 6.8
Disney's Chicken Little: Ace in Action Action 7.6
Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, The Fighting 6.8
Happy Feet Adventure 4.5
Ice Age 2: The Meltdown Action 7.5
Open Season Action Adventure 6.0
Rampage: Total Destruction Action 4.0
Rayman Raving Rabbids Action 8.3
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz [UK] Action 8.3
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves Action 8.2
Wii Sports Sports Compilation 7.5

Yes but all the arguments for the current iterations of the main Mario and Zelda series being "kiddie" would also apply to the 80's versions as well.

I wouldn't consider Zelda a kiddie game but I can see why some people may think Mario is kiddie since platform style games in general are made for a younger audience and I think one of the only reason Mario is so well accepted among adults is because they grew up with the franchise.

IcedEarth81 said:
Yes but all the arguments for the current iterations of the main Mario and Zelda series being "kiddie" would also apply to the 80's versions as well.

no it wouldnt... at the time there was nothing else to compare it to NES was it.. and i dont know how you could say zelda could be kiddy... theres no way it was im sure the target for NES games were towards adults.. have you even played the 80s zelda? do you think a kid would be able to figure that out? ill say this again... my 4 year old son who can play Mario 64 but can not play Mario, 2 and 3... why because they are too hard for a kid to figure out.

Thechickenman27 said:
red steel isnt for kids

No RedSteel isn't for kids but for many people who are wanting more mature games they were disappointed. The game shipped with a teen rating, no blood or gore, some control issues (For example when I turn quickly to the right my cursor does an odd rebound to the left of the screen), the sword fighting felt shallow and underdeveloped, and the graphics were a bit underwhelming in some areas. Overall I though the game was ok but only in a average since and it definetly showed potential but it did not feel hardcore or mature to me.

I think lack of information on games is not helping the kiddie reputation either. We hardly hear anything about new titles or developments. I want screenshots and updates on games like Sadness, Day of Disaster, and other titles. But we do hear about games likes Project Hammer being cancelled (rumor) and then the hole Manhunt 2 rockstar AO scandal leaves the adult gamers feel like Nintendo is not supporting mature titles.

Haywire said:
No RedSteel isn't for kids but for many people who are wanting more mature games they were disappointed. The game shipped with a teen rating, no blood or gore, some control issues (For example when I turn quickly to the right my cursor does an odd rebound to the left of the screen), the sword fighting felt shallow and underdeveloped, and the graphics were a bit underwhelming in some areas. Overall I though the game was ok but only in a average since and it definetly showed potential but it did not feel hardcore or mature to me.

I think lack of information on games is not helping the kiddie reputation either. We hardly hear anything about new titles or developments. I want screenshots and updates on games like Sadness, Day of Disaster, and other titles. But we do hear about games likes Project Hammer being cancelled (rumor) and then the hole Manhunt 2 rockstar AO scandal leaves the adult gamers feel like Nintendo is not supporting mature titles.

Redsteel was lacking in some areas but it wasnt a bad play.

as for the whole manhunt issue it isnt just nintendo, sony is doing the same thing. the game is just too sick and both companys know this.

I used the Manhunt as an example of the current mature title situation on the wii and I agree that Manhunt is deprivety in digital form. With that said I have no interest in the game but I can understand Nintendo stance on AO games but it still feels like censorship to me. Also was sets Sony and Nintendo apart is that Sony has a large library of great mature titles unlike nintendo which only has a handfull and most of them are very lackluster games.

yeah i understand that... youre right i only have 2 M rated games on the wii RE4 and splinter cell and splinter cell is worthless never got past the first level but i havent even played it for more than 20 mins.

I was actually arguing against Zelda being considered "kiddie". People were saying that while the 80's iterations were considered hardcore, the current interations weren't because they were different. My response was that any arguments used to prove the current games are "kiddie" would also apply to the older games. In other words, if current Zelda and Mario games are "kiddie" then so were the old games, which is complete crap.

IcedEarth81 said:
I was actually arguing against Zelda being considered "kiddie". People were saying that while the 80's iterations were considered hardcore, the current interations weren't because they were different. My response was that any arguments used to prove the current games are "kiddie" would also apply to the older games. In other words, if current Zelda and Mario games are "kiddie" then so were the old games, which is complete crap.

i get what your saying... i kinda read it a lil quick... but i understand now... sorry.

BapFap said:
As I completely ignor your childish and fanboyish rants,
I'd like to thank you for bumping this thread so much.
*prepares to get an annoying reply back from sovieto that sounds like it was made by a thirteen year old.*
great way to sound mature and blow off an article that blows all your arguments out of the water, youre ignoring it because you know its true. you sound like a thirteen year old yourself, using a comeback like that, its the oldest one in the book.

edit: LMAO HE GOT BANNED!! gahahhaha

XwiimasturX said:
ssb is actually much more complex than one might think. its kind of like wii sports in being easy to learn but difficult to master. what other fighting games are you referring to? because soul-calibur-esque games are often just button mashers. ive used this before, but in soul calibur II, all you have to do is be rafael and hit A over and over again. if you manage to hit them the first time, you cant recover because of the quick blows. a lot of fighting games work like that. i understand to be a mortal kombat champ, you have to pull off a lot of combos and other stuff, but its easy to hit buttons over and over.

in ssb, there are a lot of strategies because the arenas can be so large. you cant even jump in a lot of fighting games, but jumping is an integral part of smash. although pulling of moves might seem easy, pulling off the right moves at the right time and in rapid succession is fairly difficult.

^just my two cents for the day^

and i know this is kind of an immature argument but...

we'll have an AO game, what do you have?

sorry. i had to say that. :yesnod:
okay, i only read like the first sentence, but i already know the jist of the rest of your post
SSB is not complex, it looks like it, the reason it is hard to master is because you must master twitch based combat, there are no hard combos, no hard moves, no hard techniques, its extremely simple to other "brawler" games, all it is is heavily based on twitch combat

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back