This is just what we need right now.

This whole issue with children and video games boils down to one word, RESPONSIBILITY, most parents today are still children themselves and there concept of parenting is playing with a child when it suits them and if it doesn't then we will just find some substitute to occupy the child's time. In a world suffused with excessive mediocrity parenting is something you just can't do on a whim. You have to be responsible for your children and teach them how to be responsible for themselves. I guarantee if you walked into any classroom today sat down and watched for an hour you would see things that just blow your mind, at least half the kids would have no idea what it means to be respectful and responsible. The one thing I have noticed most in my travels is that parents seem to think there children are pets or status symbols or little trophies to prove that they are good humans, which is wrong on so many levels I can't even begin to talk about it. If you are a parent, you have one job, you may work somewhere else but you still have only one job, and that is to raise a child, for most people in today's world that is just to much, they can't handle it so they pass it on to the most convenient distraction available, which unfortunately for those of us that are able to raise children and love them, is video games. They have no concept of what they are teaching children by doing this. And no I am not blaming video games for anything at all, but if you are going to allow your children to play games it is your responsibility to take the time and play it with your child, explain it to them and make damn sure they understand the difference between a game and the real world. Like I said take responsibility for your children thats all it takes, as a parents and a hardcore gamers, that is all we can do.

ElronMac said:
This whole issue with children and video games boils down to one word, RESPONSIBILITY, most parents today are still children themselves and there concept of parenting is playing with a child when it suits them and if it doesn't then we will just find some substitute to occupy the child's time. In a world suffused with excessive mediocrity parenting is something you just can't do on a whim. You have to be responsible for your children and teach them how to be responsible for themselves. I guarantee if you walked into any classroom today sat down and watched for an hour you would see things that just blow your mind, at least half the kids would have no idea what it means to be respectful and responsible. The one thing I have noticed most in my travels is that parents seem to think there children are pets or status symbols or little trophies to prove that they are good humans, which is wrong on so many levels I can't even begin to talk about it. If you are a parent, you have one job, you may work somewhere else but you still have only one job, and that is to raise a child, for most people in today's world that is just to much, they can't handle it so they pass it on to the most convenient distraction available, which unfortunately for those of us that are able to raise children and love them, is video games. They have no concept of what they are teaching children by doing this. And no I am not blaming video games for anything at all, but if you are going to allow your children to play games it is your responsibility to take the time and play it with your child, explain it to them and make damn sure they understand the difference between a game and the real world. Like I said take responsibility for your children thats all it takes, as a parents and a hardcore gamers, that is all we can do.
varry well said

I don't believe in censorship but honestly if a little kid plays a violent game there is probably a small chance it might have a bad influence on them. Of course video games don't make people do stupid stuff but they may influence people.

Also as already said, It comes down to personal responsibility and good parenting.

Last edited:
I agree with you yungblood6 and the other guy. Its not the games fault!- and parents these days are just kids themselves.

We can debate over anything, but it all boils down to parents being Responsible for teaching their kids right and wrong.

I like to refer to the kids in this generation as the New Kids! - many have no respect for authority, their parents, and no one else for that matter.

We kill people every day over in Iraq, no one's blaming War Games for that.

People just have to learn that their is a right and wrong, and you are held responsible for your own actions.

Like you said yungblood6, I love super mario galaxy, but I aint bout to fly to outer space just to see if I can do what mario did.

Its good to some to put the blame on others because it make lite of the real situation. I haven't heard about the incident that you are talking bout, but its not the games fault.

That is the main reason in all new consoles that their are Parental Controls. If you think that there is a game kids are not suitable to play, DO NOT LET THEM PLAY!

BOTTOM LINE- LETS LEARN TO TAKE RESPONSIBLITY FOR OUR OWN ACTIONS!

Video games can be veryy distracting, especially when it comes to school. Sometimes I can't help but rush on homework and stuff, because all I can think about is a new game, or I really want to get a new item, or something. And lately my grades have been kind of slipping, but whenever I getted ground or something, I get better grades, because video games are out of the way.

Well games are the only way kids can get away with murder a little bit. But i agree, games dont cause kids to try and fly out into space like mario, run someone over with a warthog like master chief. and make someone throw a knife attacted to a rope at someones chest like Scorpian. If they did then why the hell would they buy the games in the first place?! of course all those cases dont make a difference huh? Bad parenting.

Iownage, lawl, i actually get good grades because i pay attention in class(try to memorize every single detail) and i dont do homework. and guess what i do at home... here's a hint ''NO DUDE GO UNDER THE BRIDGE AND CAMP! omfg see you let me get shot in the face''

It's the same thing as with movies "causing" kids to behave violently. A person has to have something a bit off in the head already before playing/watching a movie, if they start to feel the need to imitate it in real life.

Singhson said:
To be honest, it's a controversial issue, but i've concluded that if people are truly influenced like your example "yungblood6", then they're are obviously not mature enough to play games. But some games stand out from the rest, i don't know about manhunt, is that really as bad as some people claim, they say it made a kid in england do some really bad stuff
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/3936597.stm.
I think that ones down to maturity aswell, but i was gonna say that there's this game called biko6 i think it's somewhere on tis site, i think the thread's called top 8 or 7 worst games ever made. Anyway it makes you question the mind frame of some of the developers, i mean what was the guy thinking when he made biko6?

At the end of the day, games are entertainment, i mean i love resident evil games, and like me we enjoy the thrill, and i worship dbz bt3, kids love this game too, but you don't see them doing kame hame haa's do you?

merry Christmas!

i wonder who got that kid (the murderer) the game? the parents or a friend. and that kid knew it was wrong so how is it the games fault?

Graphic Violence in media.
Does it glamorize violence? Sure.
Does it desensitize us to violence? Of course.
Does it help us tolerate violence? You bet.
Does it stunt our empathy for fellow beings? Heck yes.
Does it CAUSE violence? ...Well, that's hard to prove.

The trick is to ask the right question.

Using you people's logic, you could say that guns don't cause violence. It was the murder's choice to pull the trigger.

I hate how ignorant the human race is. They'll do anything to prove that what they like isn't bad.

AtomicB said:
Using you people's logic, you could say that guns don't cause violence. It was the murder's choice to pull the trigger.

I hate how ignorant the human race is. They'll do anything to prove that what they like isn't bad.
So going by your logic if i own a gun and like guns then thats bad and im a murderer? I like differnt knives to so does that mean i like to cut people with them? Its four differnt types of guns in my house, none have shot any one! I got tons of knives, none have cut any one.

Last time i checked guns don't pull there own trigger so yea it was the killers choice to pull the trigger! The gun didnt make him do it! He or she chose to pick it up aim and pull trigger! So whats the point of your argument. Because me having a gun hasent made me shoot someone. I also watch alot of action movies, and play alot of war games but doesnt motivate me to go out on a shooting spree or join the military, as a matter of fact it makes me not want to join. I see how easy it is to get shot in war. So i say whats the basis on your argument because last time i checked guns, knives, and games are just objects and cant do any thing unless operated by a human.

Many of these comments seam to me like excuses for covering the fact that some games just aren't good for humans in general. It is naive to think that violent games don't have any impact on us. Of course they have some impact. Every one knows that what we think impacts what we do. We can't just putt all the blame on parents.

When i grew up, i watched The Power Rangers. I wish deeply that i hadn't because i was very violent as a child. My point is that it impacts us weather we think it does or not. And it impacts the ones who think that it doesn't impact them the most. Because there not careful about it. Honestly... Why is censorship such a bad thing? I really think that the world would be a better place without certain games, films, music..

Weather we want to or not, the simplest things affect us. It is a fact and denying it shows how naive we can be when we feel like we are loosing freedom. But is really censorship something terrible? All censorship is is protection. Why are we so against it? It is like saying that we don't want to be a racist but we want to be able to say racist things without being punished. Or the same with blasphemy. What is this urge to have no restrictions when the restrictions are only there to protect us?

Radio said:
Many of these comments seam to me like excuses for covering the fact that some games just aren't good for humans in general. It is naive to think that violent games don't have any impact on us. Of course they have some impact. Every one knows that what we think impacts what we do. We can't just putt all the blame on parents.

When i grew up, i watched The Power Rangers. I wish deeply that i hadn't because i was very violent as a child. My point is that it impacts us weather we think it does or not. And it impacts the ones who think that it doesn't impact them the most. Because there not careful about it. Honestly... Why is censorship such a bad thing? I really think that the world would be a better place without certain games, films, music..

Weather we want to or not, the simplest things affect us. It is a fact and denying it shows how naive we can be when we feel like we are loosing freedom. But is really censorship something terrible? All censorship is is protection. Why are we so against it? It is like saying that we don't want to be a racist but we want to be able to say racist things without being punished. Or the same with blasphemy. What is this urge to have no restrictions when the restrictions are only there to protect us?
First but im sorry if this offends you but i don't know if i can take you seriously because you just said power rangers made you a violent kid:shocked: :wtf:

Who is to say it would be a better place? you? Who is to say what is ok and what isnt? Further more why should i be refused the right to watch, listen, and play the things i want just because you and the next human being can't be responsable for your actions. Im sorry but if power rangers made you a violent kid then i think it was something wrong with you anyway! If listening to music makes you want to go out and kill, rape, or steal it was something wrong with you anyway! Because that same music, movie or video game doesn't make the rest of us with common sense, and responsablity do those stupid things.

Just listen to your argument power rangers made me a violent kid:yikes: Are you sure you just didnt have immotional issues as a kid? Are you sure you just werent an angry kid? Did you parents teach you the differnce between make believe and reality? Did they teach you the differnce between right and wrong? Oh im sorry you where perfectly normal till power rangers came on, then you just magicaly turned into a violent kid. Well what was it about power rangers that made you that way? was it them fighing make believe monsters to save the world? Or was it the magical transformation into the robotic dinosaurs that stood over buildings?

The only people that should be applying censorship is the parents they are supposed to know what there child can comprehend and can't, they are the ones that should know whats appropriate for there child! Maybe your momma should have took your tv watching privelages away because i would hope somewhere down the line she should have seen it was making you a violent kid?

But parents are constantly trying to blame something for their poor parenting. Just this afternoon I was working at Woolworths Supermarket and some kid climbed up on the grocery set down area and fell off head first. The parent was threatening to sue Woolies, just because they didn't have the decency/brains/morals to look after and watch their kid.

The parent demanded that she be allowed to get her groceries, all $550 worth of them (Christmas time remember) for free because she was too stupid to look after her stupid kid.

Its just don't-wannabe-parents who didn't know what a baby was until it accidentally popped out one day trying to find excuses and even profit from their non existent parenting skills.

Back