Thread of Smash

Take a gander at Roy's position on any Melee tier list. Range doesn't mean much when you're doin' less than half the knockback and damage of your clone counterpart.

Roy also has lackluster hitstun, and recovers from moves' endlag slower than Marth. He struggles to combo off his moves even at point-blank. As a result, he can't combo off his ranged hits and combos worse than Marth from any range. That extra range of his is literally useless. Can't help his combos, doesn't give 'em KOs, and due to his unfavorable endlag it doesn't even help 'em space.

Furthermore, even if your (incorrect) logic was true, what happens after racking up damage? Roy has a single reliable KO move: F-smash. It's slow, won't KO unless it's sweetspotted at the blade's center, and leaves him wide open. Has the worst endlag of all his grounded moves IIRC. Meanwhile, Marth has a Meteor Smash with his D-air, can tipper ANY of his moves for high knockback, is quick and agile enough to perform gimps, can actually combo properly off his throws (even when a foe is at high percents) and has a KO move in his Up-B: unlike Roy. Even if Roy could rack up tons of damage (he can't lol), it's worthless since he struggles so much to land a KO on even a Jigglypuff at 150%.

Roy is an awful character, and is multiple tiers below Marth for many a reason. Range literally means nothin' if you can't capitalize on it, either for a combo or pressure. The best example of this is DK: he's got some of the horizontally largest moves in the game... and yet he's a god-awful character.

Last edited:
Stop making too many assumptions, ellord. /hypocrite

No one's going to stop you if you don't want to play Project M, but do tell us when you get tired of losing to Meta Knights.

Roy struggles so much to land a KO on even a Jigglypuff at 150%.
Reverse Blazer.

Stop making too many assumptions, ellord. /hypocrite
No one's going to stop you if you don't want to play Project M, but do tell us when you get tired of losing to Meta Knights.
Reverse Blazer.
Sorry for Roy, I just think people would create original character than a copy with some little change like Marth and Roy or ness and lucas.

Your wrong, Im not loosing to metaknight. I still win every year my regional tournament and kicking metaknight's ass.

I give +1 to project M for better balanced map, speed, but not for character's change.

Stop making too many Tragosumptions, ellord. /hypocrite

lol

Sorry for Roy, I just think people would create original character than a copy with some little change like Marth and Roy or ness and lucas.

Clones aren't a bad thing, actually. Sakurai didn't have the development time to turn out even half as many original characters as they made clones. Clones helped bolster the roster's number without takin' anythin' away. 'Specially since, despite aesthetic similarities, all clones are completely seperate characters. Though I do feel for anyone who hates Ganondorf's clone-ness in Melee.

That aside, P:M Roy won't be a clone. Complain about Melee's shortcomings all ya want, Project: M will still be the pinnacle of (near) perfection once it's complete. Oh, and Lucas ain't a clone neither. Especially not in P:M.

I still win every year my regional tournament and kicking metaknight's ass.

Suuuuuuuuuure you do.

Someone give that man an invitation to the PMBR or Sakurai's board of idea people.

lol

Clones aren't a bad thing, actually. Sakurai didn't have the development time to turn out even half as many original characters as they made clones. Clones helped bolster the roster's number without takin' anythin' away. 'Specially since, despite aesthetic similarities, all clones are completely seperate characters. Though I do feel for anyone who hates Ganondorf's clone-ness in Melee.

That aside, P:M Roy won't be a clone. Complain about Melee's shortcomings all ya want, Project: M will still be the pinnacle of (near) perfection once it's complete. Oh, and Lucas ain't a clone neither. Especially not in P:M.

Suuuuuuuuuure you do.

Yes lucas is a clone of ness, most of their moves are similar or almost same. Look at fox and falco or marth and Ike, same game but not same moves.

Suuuuuuuuuure you do.

I challenge you when you want.

Yes lucas is a clone of ness, most of their moves are similar or almost same. Look at fox and falco or marth and Ike, same game but not same moves.
Marth and Ike are definitely not clones of each other, not even close.
But then again clones don't actually exist. Fox plays very different than Falco the same goes with Marth and Roy.

I challenge you when you want.
I want to see this.
How much Project M experience do you have anyway?

Last edited:
You misunderstand me, I said ness = lucas, but i would like they look like fox and falco or marth and Ike. They are from the same game but are very different.

About project M, I tried few match then noticed Marth had a bad air-conrol compared to brawl then stopped. In brawl, when my opponent is out of the field, i can strike him 2 to 4 time in air before to come back and grap the ground, at project M i die after the 1st strike. And the 2nd reason is because in PM, I cant use his special side, Marth stop his combo after the 2nd hit and never finish it.

Back