U.K Members.

MaxPing said:
In English would be - Do not throw your mothers cigarettes. :D
or as most people i know would say dont throw your mums fags

but peoole can pick up accents given the right amount of time

Accents depend on how old you are.

If you're younger than 14-16 and you move to a different place, with a different accent, your accent will change.

But if you're older than 14-16 then it won't change and you will continue having the same accent

Some of my family have lived in Australia for about 10 years, and you'd have thought they were Australian.
My half brother also moved to Scotland about 8 years ago, and last time I saw him he sounded pretty Scottish.

Those are the figures psychology would argue.

Apparently once the brain goes through puberty and various chemicals (hormones) are release the brain stops language/verbal development. - well not entirely... just the accent part

the_flood502 said:
Accents depend on how old you are.

If you're younger than 14-16 and you move to a different place, with a different accent, your accent will change.

But if you're older than 14-16 then it won't change and you will continue having the same accent

I don't beleive that.

My relatives moved while they were older then 20 and they sound completly american.

I do not think age affects it tbh.

Intresting opinion tho.

Cpt.McCloud said:
I don't beleive that.

My relatives moved while they were older then 20 and they sound completly american.

I do not think age affects it tbh.

Intresting opinion tho.

=| hmm... i shall have to look it up again... but i'm sure that's what it was...

but then again... psychology is never truly correct, except for behaviourists and cognitive psychologist (can actually be tested) ... the rest is a bit... iffy...

You try proving that children, at the age of 4/5, have sexual desires for their opposite sex parents!

the_flood502 said:
=| hmm... i shall have to look it up again... but i'm sure that's what it was...

but then again... psychology is never truly correct, except for behaviourists and cognitive psychologist (can actually be tested) ... the rest is a bit... iffy...

You try proving that children, at the age of 4/5, have sexual desires for their opposite sex parents!

Well, there was this one time but you dont wanna hear it;):lol:

But yeah, thats is a intresting theory and a good explanation and would be great to learn more about even though in some cases it doesnt work

i have proof accents change and the priif is me

irish accent↓
runcornibobble accent↑

ericlewis91 said:
if i move to england..would i pick up an accent> or is this a born thing
My dad was born and lived in Canada for 21 years, but now hes got a complete English accent :p

the_flood502 said:
=| i was wrong... it just turns out people under the age of 16 have a better chance of obtaining the regional accent ^^

"Accents and age

Children are able to take on accents at a fast rate; children of travelling families, for example, can change their accents within a short period of time. This generally remains true until a person's early twenties, after which, a person's accent seems to become more entrenched. All the same, accents are not fixed even in adulthood. An acoustic analysis by Jonathan Harrington of Queen Elizabeth II's Royal Christmas Messages revealed that the speech patterns of even so conservative a figure as a monarch can continue to change over her lifetime."

Hope this help you to understand accent development ^^

yeah, you were partly right.

But yeah it will help.

the_flood502 said:
(Y) Great ^^

---Strange News---

(people are apparently talking about me being bi and my 'emo'ness... don't i feel special - lol

)

--------

I didn't know you were British Cpt.McCloud ... although i never actually read the 'thingys' next to the messages =S... so i don't actually remember talking to many people, i remember the conversation/discussion... just not the person ^^

English and proud.

England Tll I Die.

Back