U.K Members.

If you're younger than 14-16 and you move to a different place, with a different accent, your accent will change.

But if you're older than 14-16 then it won't change and you will continue having the same accent

Later you may not pick up the accent but if you live in the same place long enough you pick up on words that are used by locals.

Just up the coast from where i live (see map) they put the word "marra" on the end of just about every sentence, or they end the sentence with the word "eh"

Where have you been marra?

What you having for tea eh?

Believe me im not making this up.

If you lived there for a couple of years you would probably start doing the same,to someone from outside the area you would sound like a local even if you didn't have a strong accent.

sssssssssss.gif

Last edited:
MaxPing said:
Later you may not pick up the accent but if you live in the same place long enough you pick up on words that are used by locals.

Just up the coast from where i live (see map) they put the word "marra" on the end of just about every sentence, or they end the sentence with the word "eh"

Where have you been marra?

What you having for tea eh?

Believe me im not making this up.

=/ i could believe the 'eh' part... but i'm sceptical of the 'marra'... i can't see how it would work... it seems fairly pointless to add 'marra' (a meaning less word) to the end of every sentence =S

how's it pronounced?

surfinrach90 said:
Meh.. French are ignorant snobs, I hate them and have you ever seen one without a pointy nose... I haven't...

I'm with Flood, I don't know what this whole stereotype about the French is about. I know two people from France, they're both friendly and hardly snobby or ignorant. And one of them doesn't even have a pointy nose.

the_flood502 said:
=/ i could believe the 'eh' part... but i'm sceptical of the 'marra'... i can't see how it would work... it seems fairly pointless to add 'marra' (a meaning less word) to the end of every sentence =S

how's it pronounced?

Up here in Cumbria (im in the south) people tend to call each other mate even if they do not know them,so on meeting a stranger you might say or its just being friendly.

Now up the coast they would say "Alright marra" or "hows it going marra"

Its pronounced as its written.

Recently they had to rescue a Dolphin from the harbour they named it Marra ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cumbria/content/articles/2006/01/24/marra_the_dolphin_feature.shtml

MaxPing said:
Up here in Cumbria (im in the south) people tend to call each other mate even if they do not know them,so on meeting a stranger you might say or its just being friendly.

yeah we get that even here people call each other 'mate' even if they have never met (strange really considering mate is actually short for mating (sexual act) or mate as in mating partner)... it's just what is the 'marra' thing... what does it mean? is it short for something?

what?

Back