Whats the best web browser?

[DT] said:
my 8525 WM5 Phone (now flashed to WM6) browses great using the integrated Mobile IE (esp. on 3G networks).
Right, because it's running a Windows OS. Just the way Microsoft wants it. A lot more phones now are running Linux, and then there are other OSes in-use such as Symbian, PalmOS, etc. And your Wii runs Opera. These non-MS OSes aren't even going to run IE so every user out there using IE is effectively voting for an IE-only web, since websites track the statistics of what browsers their visitors are using, and if enough use IE then they don't bother using standards. Instead, they continue to use code that only works in IE.

Basically, you're playing into Microsoft's hand. They want to control the web by controlling the content, and if enough of the web can only be viewed in IE, then that will force people to use devices (PDAs, phones, game consoles, media centers, cars, fridges, etc) that run Microsoft OSes. Which means more money in their pocket.

People wonder how Microsoft profits from IE since they give it away. Well, there you are. Just convoluted enough to go right over the heads of most consumers.

FYI, I've been in the industry for 20+ years, I'm on my 3rd company (the last was acquired by MPS Group in 2000), I have 2 tech patents, have been published, etc., so I really don't need a dissertation.

I see from your avatar and sig you're a supporter of open source solutions and that's terrific, however my current business and product delivery requires I use IE as a browser solution (as I indicated).

The phone comment was an aside that it works, and not meant as commentary on Microsoft's business model - to be honest, I don't care how much revenue they generate as long as it doesn't conflict with my business targets (which are only in place to support my personal goals). I'd consider my business acumen pretty reasonable, so MS's underlying strategy (whether I support it or not) isn't a mystery to me.

I honestly hope your support of open source (and/or your lack of support for MS) make things happen for you! In the end, I don't think anyone's life should be driven by business decisions being made over at Redmond - I'd much rather be fooling around with my car or at the beach :)

Take care ~

DT

Flock is like a modded version of Firefox with more features and faster browsing. Try it.
Or Safari? If you have a Mac.
I think they have it for Windows too, but it's probably buggy.

Back