What's your pokemon team?

Your analysis was fine. Few things though, you recommended probably about 3 different swords dance sets. and a bulk up set. Although nothing really wrong with that, your just asking for hell if a whole team consists of Pokemon that needs to set up. So for things like this, you may want to consider the team as a whole, throwing in various Choice users, etc.
But either way, great job.

And just throwing this out there, because it is by far my favorite set on Machamp:
Jolly @ Choice Scarf
No Guard
12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
-Dynamic Punch
-Stone Edge
-Ice Punch
-ThunderPunch

Few notes, the only difference really is that it's No Guard instead of Guts, thus uses Dynamic Punch > Close Combat. Stone Edge > Payback because it makes no sense with a Choice Scarf set. You'll lose some dreaded coverage hitting ghosts, but no point in crying over spilled milk. I absolutely love hitting everything with Dynamic Punch. Although it gets walled quite easily by things like Slowbro and such, it's still a fun set to use overall.

It was under the desk. So, I think Im gonna sign up for Smogon now. But I just have one question...how would I battle with those people? I dont think its through normal Wi-fi.

It was under the desk.

... LOL! That's just fail. XD I'm sorry Nick, but that's funny.

So, I think Im gonna sign up for Smogon now. But I just have one question...how would I battle with those people? I dont think its through normal Wi-fi.

Don't be silly, not everyone is crazy for Shoddy. Not everyone will use the actual games, but some will. I'd say most people use a program that emulates DP, though. It's called Shoddy, this'l explain what it is. Pretty simple stuff, really.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shoddy

I wonder if the players are too lazy to battle be on Wi-fi if I wanted too. If not, Ill be forced to download this, and my parents get really pissed when I download random things.

Lazy? Lol no Nick, EV training, IV breeding, move breeding, so on and so on takes time, Shoddy doesn't need you to do this. ... Okay, so you're lazy if you use Shoddy. Doesn't mean it's a bad thing though, making the perfect team takes so much time, and thousands of people occupy Shoddy. Shoddy is simply insanely quicker and much more efficient than the real game. DP is more fun since you're actually using your DS, though.

Hmmm...Ill take your notes to heart guys. CK, I see what you were saying about the coverage for ThunderPunch an Ice Punch. [facepalm/] Dur, I shouldve thought of that. Also Wuddle, I do think I was recommending too much set up also...But that Gliscor would be fun to help run the others. Anyways, Thanks Guys. Ill have another team up for you guys to analyze in a bit.

Wi-Fi takes so long to battle it's not even funny. I've had numerous games lasting an hour+ just because of the hail animations, Ice Body animations, and Leftovers animation.

Using your DS and actually EV training etc. also gives you a lagitimate feeling of accomplishment. With shoddy you're using what took you a couple minutes to create as oposed to my prized Gliscore which took me weeks. You then have a pokemon who's growth you've manipulated with no shame (Cheats/Shoddy).
I love the Pokemon metagame.

@Storm/Neosquid- Check out Strypes Youtube channel, TheFireTiger.
His 2nd, 3rd, and 18th battles are particularly outstanding as they feature me, Fox.[/arogant]

Last edited:
Hmm...Ill check out that video in a minute...maybe.

How do I even download Shoddy? How does it even work? That Bulbapedia article didnt explain very much.

Here is my single battle only team. Currently, I am working on a Double battle team which I shall post shortly. In the meantime, I need help with this one.

Infernape @ Life Orb:
Naughty
Blaze
Mixed Attacker
-Overheat
-Close Combat
-U-Turn
-Stone Edge

Empoleon @ Leftovers:
Adamant
Torrent
Swords Dance+Priority
-Aqua Jet
-Avalanche
-Drill Peck
-Swords Dance

Porygon-Z @ Silk Scarf:
Modest
Adaptability
Special Sweeper
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Tri Attack
-Nasty Plot

Not sure if i should switch one of those moves for Dark Pulse...

Raichu @ Life Orb:
Mild
Static
Special Sweeper
-Nasty Plot
-Grass Knot
-Thunderbolt
-Focus Blast

Salamence @ Life Orb:
Naughty
Intimidate
Mixed Attacker/Physical Sweeper
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance
-Roost

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash:
Adamant
Pressure
Lead SR
-Crunch
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock

Ok, there it is.

Here is my single battle only team. Currently, I am working on a Double battle team which I shall post shortly. In the meantime, I need help with this one.

Infernape @ Life Orb:
Naughty
Blaze
Mixed Attacker
-Overheat
-Close Combat
-U-Turn
-Stone Edge

Empoleon @ Leftovers:
Adamant
Torrent
Swords Dance+Priority
-Aqua Jet
-Avalanche
-Drill Peck
-Swords Dance

Porygon-Z @ Silk Scarf:
Modest
Adaptability
Special Sweeper
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Tri Attack
-Nasty Plot

Not sure if i should switch one of those moves for Dark Pulse...

Raichu @ Life Orb:
Mild
Static
Special Sweeper
-Nasty Plot
-Grass Knot
-Thunderbolt
-Focus Blast

Salamence @ Life Orb:
Naughty
Intimidate
Mixed Attacker/Physical Sweeper
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance
-Roost

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash:
Adamant
Pressure
Lead SR
-Crunch
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock

Ok, there it is.

Ah yes, lead Aero... For a lead, that's perfectly fine - bar Crunch. It hits Azelf and Gengar... and that's it, about. Stone Edge will smash them anyways, Ice Fang is generally more useful. I can see why you'd want a Dark move since your Z and Empoleon covers Ice, but Ice Fang is generally more useful.

Even then, I still slightly recommend Taunt over Crunch/Ice Fang. It'l help stop other SR leads hugely, which is always a bonus. It's extremely helpfull too, since your team's prone to extra damage adding up, considering you're using 3 pokes with a Life Orb, and nearly all of your pokes have bad defenses.

That Salamence isn't mixed, it doesn't have a special attack. :p Give it Adamant if you're keeping that moveset. Anyways, a sweeper Salamence without a fire move is... odd. If you want a Dragon to DD sweep and use Roost, go with Dragonite, he has better defenses.

So yeah, I'd recommend Dragonite with the very same moveset if you're determined to use it. If you continue to use 'Mence, I highly recommend dropping Roost for Fire Blast. Also, don't forget the option of Outrage. Since your entire team is basically set up sweepers, that huge power boost is very attractive compared to Dragon Claw.

If you're going to use Outrage in place of Dragon Claw, I recommend Fire Blast over Roost. So a moveset for 'Mence should be like Dragon Claw/Outrage, EQ, Fire Blast, DD @ Life Orb and Naive. Fire Blast is better with Naive, after all - the power boost from Naughty isn't that necesarry, especially not after a DD with a Life Orb.

D-nite shouldn't use Fire Blast, Salamence is better at that. D-nite shouldn't use Outrage with Roost either, it really defeats the purpose. If D-nite is using Dragon Claw, you're free to use Roost. If he uses Outrage, ... Use Salamence instead. :p So if you're bent on using Roost, use D-nite with the moveset Outrage/EQ/Roost/DD @ Life Orb and Jolly, Dragonite especially needs the speed boost.

Drop Raichu. Now. :p He won't survive in OU. Not enough Sp. atk, not enough speed, and pitiful defenses. You have balls even trying to use him... Just don't use him. Sorry, I can't give advice for two reasons: I'm not a UU player, and Raichu is just terrible.

Z needs a Timid nature, Modest makes him too slow. He also needs to drop Boltbeam, even if it is good - Dark Pulse and Hidden Power Fighting combined with Tri Attack for STAB is his best NP set. However, if you can't get a good HP fighting, just stick with Boltbeam. Z loses a lot of super effective potential with Boltbeam, though - coverage doesn't always cut it.

Priority SD Empoleon... Scary, but too slow for my tastes. EQ is more useful than Avalanche, but if you're scared of Dragons you can keep that set. Otherwise, just swap Avalanche out for EQ.

And finally, Infernape. I'm not a fan of Mixape, it lacks power when it doesn't have a stat up move, making it easier to switch in. That moveset's fine though.

Okay... That's the moveset analysis. Now for the team in it's entirety. In terms of typing, you're very varied on the offensive, but the defensive is a big concern. Even with 2 immunities, when Aero dies you only have one immunity to ground, and 3 weaknesses. Empoleon can't afford to die since he's your bulky steel, Infernape and Raichu just die anyways though. This needs to be fixed.. preferably by switching out Raichu for something with a ground immunity/resist.

You also have problems with Rock, Fighting, and Electric. You have two weaknesses for each type, but only one resist for each as well. Considering Rock, Fighting, Electric, AND Ground are very common attacking types, this team's weaknesses are very easy to hit, and since you lack defenses in general, you'll die very fast. You need to get more resistances/immunities without doubling up on more weaknesses, mainly by switching out some pokes.

Your offenses are obviously very strong, but all of your pokes need to set up - that means you either get in a light hit after your poke switches in, or waste a turn setting up, only to get countered. Basically, you'll only be winning if an enemy's team can't counter one of your sweepers effectively, and even then, your chances are slim. You need more pokes that are choiced/have more variety, rather than a bunch of set up pokes.

Defensively, ... there is no defense. Your only bulky poke is Empoleon, and with your Ground and Fighting weaknesses doubling and even tripling, he won't last long from an impending sweep by pokes with these typed moves. Once he's down, your bulkiest is Salamence, which is easily hushed by a scarfed dragon, or anything with ice moves. With him down, all your team's bulk is gone. Switching in will prove difficult even, and after a few turns, you'll turn rather predictable as well. Your defenses are incredibly lack luster...

All in all, this team is pretty bad and needs huge renovation. A pure offensive team always needs choicers and a few offensive pokes with mixed duties, such as supplying status or other support while still attacking strong. Your team is nothing but stat up sweepers though, meaning you're a slow offensive team. With tons of weaknesses, defensive teams can exploit you. Since you're slower than other offensive teams, they can rip you apart before you set up.

Against an opponent of equal or better skill, I don't see this team winning without some strokes of luck... Sorry man, this is the worst team you've presented so far. ... A lot better than my worst, though. >.>;

My advice? Get rid of Raichu. :p And more importantly, take out your stat up sweepers until you have two left, preferably one sp. attacker and one physical attacker - make sure atleast one of them is very fast (Infernape, perhaps). Then throw in some choice pokemon, or some supporting attackers. If you don't want to do that, you can always put in some walls and make a standard, balanced team.

And don't forget to patch up those weaknesses! Been awhile since I've done an analysis this big, hah.

Thanks Ck. I had not seen my teams weaknesses so obvious before, dont know why. So, how about I switch out Raichu for a Defensive Gliscor? That would offer me another immunity to ground, plus resistance to Fighting. Id still have the Rock problem, but Infernape can cut that, same with Empoleon right?

Ughhh...Ill work on it, replace a few things, and patch up that which needs patching! Thanks CK. Ill have the revised team up in a bit.

Gliscor's not a bad idea, but you'd have a double 4x Ice weakness. It is handled by Infernape/Empoleon though, so no problem. Gliscor also gets a Rock resist when he uses Roost, which drops his Flying type, which isn't a bad idea. Without roost, he does have the fighting resist and ground immunity too, so he's not a bad idea at all. You can certainly go with a physical wall Gliscor if you want.

Don't forget to take out one of your other sweepers too, having so many is just a bad idea. I recomend taking out Porygon-Z since it'd lower your fighting weakness even further, or Empoleon since it'd lower your fighting AND ground weakness. You should really keep a steel type though, so might I recommend Metagross over Empoleon? You gain a fire weakness and get rid of a Fighting weakness, so it's a great trade off - especially considering you have 3 fire resists, 2 when not counting Aerodactyl.

Hmmm...but I love Z...lolz. Ill just use Z in a different team. But I wont drop Aero, my favorite poke. I was actually thinking of dropping the Dragons altogether...seeing as I already have uses and resists against them. I have a pretty nasty Metagross, so I think I will swap Empol for him. In terms of the Dragon replacement, Im not entirely sure, but how about Honchkrow? I have a pretty good one, Adamant nature, Super Luck, Sopce Lens and Night Slash gives criticals nearly every time, resulting in quick KOs.

Either him, or I was thinking somewhere along the lines of Weavile. Whats your opinion?

Back