Who Should Pay On A Date?

I don't mind paying, I can make money easily.
It's just when they don't think of helping.

I guess I'm that kind of guy.

Lewi T said:
It shows many qualities paying for things, and will always do you good, even if she did ask you out. Since you agreed, you must like her, and if you like her, then you should pay.

It shows qualities in you but it also shows some in the person your on a date with. It may be chivalry for the man to pay but when was that word invented? Early 50s? Earlier?? I mean sure women would love not paying, but if this was a regular thing the man would start to get PO. It is just sexism all over again, hiding it in a layer of "chivalry".
"It is proper to not let your "woman" pay since she doesn't have the means to do so."
Let her pay for half.

Call me ungentlemanly all you like, but chivalry is a code of conduct for knights in the middle ages, and this is the 21st century. Women are more likely to have jobs now, and therefore be able to pay the bill. So the argument that it's because women can't afford to pay is really outdated.

well, what did you get out of it? the whole idea of paying for dinner and such is to just get in their pants...

Napalmbrain said:
Call me ungentlemanly all you like, but chivalry is a code of conduct for knights in the middle ages, and this is the 21st century. Women are more likely to have jobs now, and therefore be able to pay the bill. So the argument that it's because women can't afford to pay is really outdated.

Well it's worked for me so far. And I never argued that women can't afford thier own things, but your more likely to end up taking them home with you if you do act like your in the "middle ages". All women like to be independent and able bodied, but most (not all women) like to know you can take care of them, paying for something is a stepping stone in that direction. You are certainly able to continue ungentlmanly acts if you want, if they work for you great. Just not how I do things.

Napalmbrain said:

Ok how many dates have you been on where u gave that blank look to a girl when the check arrived and how uncomfortable you felt? No one is sayin that a woman can not pay her own way. What we are sayin, well me atleast, is that its gentleman like and it feels good.

Bliss said:
Ok how many dates have you been on where u gave that blank look to a girl when the check arrived and how uncomfortable you felt? No one is sayin that a woman can not pay her own way. What we are sayin, well me atleast, is that its gentleman like and it feels good.
last couple girlfriends i had expected to pay for themselves which i was fine with. but maybe this was because we werent even old enough for jobs? idk, it was to the movies and such though... not dinner.. dinner is a waste of time unless you're 30+ years of age. ;)

Usually we'd just pay for our own.

Obviously we don't go out for dates, just go out for meals. I had a lot of cash on me for a while so I said let's go out and I payed, and it's happened the other way around too. If I was to go out on a date though, I'd obviously take money for myself and I'd say I'd pay for myself when the time come, but he'd win some brownie points then if he insisted on paying for me ^_^

I will pay, but I will not argue about who pays. That is the worst. If you want to pay, I am not going to fight you about it. And when I try to pay, don't make some big deal out of it. It is a meal. Eat it, enjoy it, and get on with it.

surfinrach90 said:
Usually we'd just pay for our own.

Obviously we don't go out for dates, just go out for meals. I had a lot of cash on me for a while so I said let's go out and I payed, and it's happened the other way around too. If I was to go out on a date though, I'd obviously take money for myself and I'd say I'd pay for myself when the time come, but he'd win some brownie points then if he insisted on paying for me ^_^
but you guys are like, lovey dovey. you understand each other and such im guessing where as this is more focused on a first couple of dates to the point where you ask the girl out. but i still like your way of dating.

I'm not over thirty! And I enjoy having a meal with someone I care about.
Even though I barely knew this girl, and she's the first one who didn't offer or share the bill. So if you guys think I'm not a gentlemen, it's because this is the fist time this happened to me.

Sovieto said:
last couple girlfriends i had expected to pay for themselves which i was fine with. but maybe this was because we werent even old enough for jobs? idk, it was to the movies and such though... not dinner.. dinner is a waste of time unless you're 30+ years of age. ;)

Right ok thats fine, IF they want to pay for themselves then ok. But insist that you pay and if they dont give then hey, cheaper for you. But trust me as u get older i am 25 now i have been on a lot of dates in my life and i can maybe count on 1 hand how many woman actually wanted to help pay the bill. AND as a ket note here, IF the woman does insist on paying you should look into her more cuz that could be she isnt feelin you. :yesnod:

Oh and goin out for dinner is something for 30 + yr olds...its classy and shows a lot of respect to the woman (depends where you go). Just to call her up and tell her "babe put somethin nice on tonight i am takin you out for dinner and dancing"....trust me it feels good and it will pay off in the end :wink:

Fire Flower said:
I'm not over thirty! And I enjoy have a meal with someone I care about.
Even though I barely knew this girl, and she's the first one who didn't offer or share the bill. So if you guys think I'm not a gentlemen, it's because this is the fist time this happened to me.

Nope, never thought you wern't a gentleman. You were in an akward position, so thats why I was saying for a defualt always assume your going to pay unless she specifies other wise inorder to eliminate or minimize the akwardness. In the future if you do try to pay and she gets upset or what ever, just tell her about the time you went on a date with a girl that asked you out then stared at you untill you payed.

Bliss said:

Admittedly I've never been on a date where the girl didn't pay for herself, so I'm not quite sure how I'd react if I was expected to pay the full price. I suppose if it was a long term relationship I wouldn't mind.

Sovieto said:
but you guys are like, lovey dovey. you understand each other and such im guessing where as this is more focused on a first couple of dates to the point where you ask the girl out. but i still like your way of dating.

Lmao, well the last bit of my post was about if I was on a date. As in not with Jay =]

Back