Why MetaKnight (MK) is the most Broken Character in SSBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
no hes not. when gamers say a character/ability/weapon is broken, we mean that its unbeatable when use correctly.

what your saying is a skilled meta is unbeatable. when yet even the most skilled metas in the world have lost.

if meta is broken, then how can he be beat when used by the best?

meta is overpowered but nowhere near broken

Nope, I have never made the claim once that Meta Knight is unbeatable. There is NO such thing as an unbeatable character. According to you, Shadow, broken means unbeatable, so there will never be a character in any game and has never been and never will be broken. So why speak out? Because the match is rigged to begin with! It's a simple concept really:

You're in a race--any kind of race, even one in a video game. A car or foot race, it doesn't matter. Let's say you're in a real car race against 7 other contestants. All seven cars get nine out of the ten laps complete before your car can even move--someone messed with your car so that the chances of you winning the race is minimal. It's unfair, and the match is completely rigged, but you can STILL win the race. Getting first place is still attainable, but the match has been rigged to begin with, so getting there is made into an unnecessary hassle and made virtually impossible. There is no such thing as an unbeatable race, because "impossible" is never the case when it comes to competition. Furthermore, the person whose car had been altered did not express his or her true skill, and losing the race if repeated tens of times in this fashion (that is, starting nine laps late each time) will only yield in inevitable loss virtually 100% of the time. Even if your car started moving just 5 (FIVE!) seconds into the race, the race is STILL considered rigged; the chances of you winning the race have been lowered, and in an unjustified manner. You have been subject to an unfair occurrence that had nothing to do with your actual skill.

Now I'm not saying that the numbers apply the same with the case of Meta Knight as I used in this example, but you should get the point. When people say "if they're not unbeatable, they why are you complaining? They're not even broken that means.", it doesn't make any sense. It's like saying "why complain to the thief who stole your belongings when you're not DYING, just let it go completely, don't fight it, it's not like you're dead. I don't see why you're even making a deal out of it, your life is not at stake so what's the big deal?"

So by the logic of a character being broken... if two Meta Knights fight each other doesn't that cancel out the advantage o_O? Okay, kidding aside... time to put my input in.

I wouldn't consider MK to be "broken," but I would agree that he is rigged. Many moves, like spikes, are made much harder to do on this character. Getting a KO is also more difficult with his flight ability.

However there are ways to neutralize many of Meta Knights advantages. The stage, The Bridge of Eldin, makes it harder (though not impossible) for a MK user to use many of his air attacks. Other stages, such as Battlefield, make it easier for MK to use his variety of moves more efficiently.

Maybe instead of worrying about whether or not MK is broken, which cannot be changed no matter how much we talk about it, we think of creative ways to take away some of his advantages (sorry MK mains :p).

This thread should of died.. >.>

Ahem! If I may solve this conflict! Broken in the Brawl world, can be many things, depending on who uses the word. It can mean overpowered, unfair, or something that'l guarentee a win/loss. It's all about the person's perspective. Using a single, variable word to describe a character is a bad idea, IMO. :p

And yes, Meta is overpowered.

^lol way to kill your own logic in that last statement. =P

So what are we saying, here: That he's broken or overpowered?

Sounds to me like being "broken" is what makes you overpowered. I thought the point of the term "broken" is that it "breaks" the balance of the fighting game's characters. "Overpowered" sounds like what the character turns into if his/her broken moves allow him/her to become unreasonably more powerful than everyone else in some regard (rather than unreasonably less powerful, which might stand the case for Pichu in SSBM).

As I (tried) to say in my last post, broken can mean a much higher level of a character being unfair than the way you put it, Bio. It all depends on the person's views. I'd say using the word "broken" in this thread here after, is.. a bad idea.

While I think this topic should probably just die... I have to comment.

Facing Meta Knight is one of the most annoying things ever -.-. I wouldn't mind all the other advantages if Meta Knight lost either his insane priority or his grab range. They make it very challenging to face an expert with it. Of course it's possible (I figured out how you can get past the advantages), but it's too much work to do. I only gave a half effort and then decided it wasn't worth it in a practice session -.-.

Anyway, I'm going to let this thread go back to dying... since all that needs to be said has been said; I just wanted to vent a little :p.

... Our training session was that frustrating, King? Sorry about that. :lol:

Ahem.. I'll agree with the above though, MK indeed is the most frustrating enemy to face.. besides a spamming campy Snake, anyways. Getting around his prioritized offenses is even more annoying, possible, but annoying. Doing so much for a single character calls for that character to be labeled over powered, no?

Ya, you probably thought I wasn't as good as I could be... because I got bored. Well... frustrated might be a better word. It's okay though, the biggest problem is I don't have music while playing. My skills were reduced by at least 20%, I'm not exaggerating, once I lost my way of listening to music while playing. I can just never get into the "SSBB mode" anymore... and it makes me blow / lose interest easily.

But just because it frustrated me doesn't mean it's a bad thing, it means I need more practice against MK.

It may not seem like it, but I've not played many 1v1s. Before I played you (and wuwi played a ton with me), I maybe had done 20-30 1v1s before that. Only two other people your level / Wuwi's level (Lloyd + Gio0o), so I don't have much experience with 1v1s.

That's why I've been so adamant about trying to practice, I NEED it.

To stay on topic:
A big thing about facing a good (let alone expert) MK player is a lot of mind games. If you can predict what move he'll use, or where he'll land, you can easily bypass his priority.

A big thing about facing a good (let alone expert) MK player is a lot of mind games. If you can predict what move he'll use, or where he'll land, you can easily bypass his priority.

Ditto, once you've gained a good understanding of brawl's characters and engine, it's all about the mind games and having the best defense.

The ONLY reason I'm reviving this thread is because I'VE been revived back into this site, I haven't been on in many months due to lack of time and priorities set elsewhere.

If a mod wishes to close/lock of this post, let him or her do it (of course, I discourage them from doing so, especially since we have a brand new, large group of WiiChatters who were not present at the time of the initial post). If not, we can continue the calm debate as to why or why not Meta Knight is considered a broken character. Honestly, I haven't been able to play brawl much (I played twice in the past four months), but I love a debate and it is still a relevant issue.

On that note, I noticed people were very iffy with the word "broken". When someone says "Meta Knight is broken", or any other characters for that matter, they have never meant that there is no way of beating that character--they just mean that certain aspects are unnecessary emphasized too much (and thus OVERPOWERED) that allows for too much ease that eventually leads to a higher chance of winning just by picking that character. I will still call it broken, my only other alternative being "extremely overpowered".

Basically, Meta Knight is a Melee character in Brawl--his overall speed on land and in air is comparable and too similar to fast characters in MELEE, imagine playing as someone from Brawl (generally slower) and versing someone from Melee with the Melee mechanics, the match would be considered uneven--but in several ways, one of which being the overall atmosphere, making it much easier to win with the "melee-atmosphered" character. It's not that the Melee characters are better per say, but that their surroundings are "strong against" the Brawl mechs and setup. Pitting two people in different video games with the same health bars, one of them is bound to win.

I also keep seeing people saying "you can easily work past the defenses if you know how to mind game". It's not that easy, and it requires lots of thinking and dodging bullets. The thing is, while you have to go through a lot to "pass" the priority of MK, MK needs little to no work getting past you, on or off stage. The match is already rigged, and he is equipped with an unrealistic moveset that makes him tough to deal with both on and off stage. So while you can mind game ANY character and dodge BULLETS (because bullets aren't easy to dodge, that's why I'm using that metaphor) for a while, when the only thing that character has to do is get one hit on you and you lose, it doesn't matter in the end. <--That was a general example showing how something can be rigged no matter how good you are.

I have to go to class for now, but I look forward to continuing to debate and/or agree with others in the near future like we have done in the past. Peace.

Last edited:
while your not supposed to revive threads(even your own), if you have a valid reason its usually okay.

mindgames against Meta are hard to pull off but if you can then you've pretty much rendered him powerless. if you can outpredict a Meta then he's no threat.

heres what i mean; at the last tourney i entered my first opponent was Meta. I choose Kirby and the stage was Battlefield. he would be coming at me and at first he was winning. But then i started to see through his strategy and predict him. the result was he barely landed any hits for the rest of the match. now this guy wasn't a pro, but he was way better then your average Meta.

its hard but outpreducting Meta makes him harmless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back