Wii connect24 Bandwith usage

Lip

WiiChat Member
Feb 7, 2007
England
Wii Online Code
8299-0539-5252-8260
Does anyone know how much bandwith connect24 uses when its in standby mode just checking for updates and mail every so often.. I want to leave it connected all the time but my isp has a monthly usageand if i go over it they will cut me off:(

Lip said:
Does anyone know how much bandwith connect24 uses when its in standby mode just checking for updates and mail every so often.. I want to leave it connected all the time but my isp has a monthly usageand if i go over it they will cut me off:(

I am sure your ISP has some sort of way that you can check how much you've used each week. . .if it appears your using up your limit too fast then turn off Wii's Connect24 feature.

I've never heard of a broadband company limiting bandwith. . .maybe a dial-up company limiting time, but never bandwidth.

Like Comcasts bullshit. They say you get unlimited internet usage but if you use it alot they will call you and tell you that you have to dramatically decrease your internet usage because you are violating the acceptable use policy. Then they will tell you that there is no cap on how much you can use it and will give you no idea how much you need to decrease your usage by except "dramatically". Then the bastards cut off your internet service, and flag your account so that your screwed and don't have internet for 12 months.

I thought it was pretty standard. At one point, and maybe they still do, but my ISP would basically cut your BW in half after you transfer so much data in a 24 hour period. Something like 4GB. You'd then lose half of your BW for 24 hours. It sucks when you're downloading the latest Linux distro and updates.

mym6 said:
I thought it was pretty standard. At one point, and maybe they still do, but my ISP would basically cut your BW in half after you transfer so much data in a 24 hour period. Something like 4GB. You'd then lose half of your BW for 24 hours. It sucks when you're downloading the latest Linux distro and updates.

Your internet sucks ass if they do that. I usually use 4GB in one day.

paintba||er said:

Your internet sucks ass if they do that. I usually use 4GB in one day.

Preaching to the choir! It's he ONLY option I have though. DSL isn't available and the wireless options are slow.

Limiting bandwith is becoming the norm in the uk.. 8meg broadband came to us last year and my isp limit people to 50gig or 20gig a month depending which package you go with..
They do have a way to check how much ive used but its a lot of messing around
i have to go to there home page click the portal sign in the click to continue then goto my orders then click the details on my order then go to another page to see how much ive used...
Luckly im still on 2meg and get 100gig a month but i'll end up using most of that with mymain pc.. But i'll see how i go with connect24 on next month thats when i get my usage limit so no more downloading 200gig a month for me :(

My old ISP wouldn't call me or anything, but it'd automatically cap my speed at something really low if I went over like 4GB. I forget.

Lip said:
Limiting bandwith is becoming the norm in the uk.. 8meg broadband came to us last year and my isp limit people to 50gig or 20gig a month depending which package you go with..
They do have a way to check how much ive used but its a lot of messing around
i have to go to there home page click the portal sign in the click to continue then goto my orders then click the details on my order then go to another page to see how much ive used...
Luckly im still on 2meg and get 100gig a month but i'll end up using most of that with mymain pc.. But i'll see how i go with connect24 on next month thats when i get my usage limit so no more downloading 200gig a month for me :(
Well the updates are pretty small and the emails are only a few KB so I wouldn't worry really.

Little update ive been using Du meter to monitor my pc download usage upto now ive used 13.16gb but acorrding to my isp usage ive downloaded 13.509gb..
I might be wrong but according to that Wii has used nearly in 5days its mostly been in standby mode checked the everyone votes a couple of time about 10min in total and checked the weather once and got a few miis sent to me

i think my isp is adding a few extra usage to me as my pc uploads is more than what my isp has got me for

the cheaper plans with my ISP only allow for 30gigs of bandwidth for the month downstream, after that the speed is drastically cut. still faster than dial up but not huge. they monitor and do this because that's how they buy access or sell access to the internet, in chunks of bandwidth. i don't have that plan tho so i'm set.

I have a way to check for sure. Go to http://www.ethereal.com/ and download the software for your PC. Have it sniff packets on the hub/router for traffic coming from the wii, if you know your local ip for the wii, if not do an ARP command in command line for the mac address of the wii.

I wager you'll find local traffic in the network but no outside traffic.

Back