Wii in Australia thread

After so long waiting, I finally had the chance to play the Wii today.

I went in to college to hand in my assessment, and then made a break for the local Myer store. A friend had told me they had the machine set up yesterday, and I was willing to take the chance that it was there today. Getting there, BAM, the Wii setup. It was really interesting seeing how everybody reacted when they walked past the Wii. As so many people in the Americas would know, the Wii is extremely good at attracting people from all walks of life. There were parents, kids, teenagers... just... everybody.

So for the next 7 hours, me and a couple buddies camped the system, and played whenever we got a turn. For the most part, there was a lot of handing it over to other people, but I definately didn't mind, as it was awesome just to watch the Wii in action. The only game running on it was Wii Sports, but damned if I wasn't majorly impressed. As soon as I held the Wiimote in my hand, I was hooked.

To comment on the games, for those Australians who don't trust what the Americans think (I know there's a few of you), they were all bloody excellent. While I didn't play Golf or Boxing, the other three were damn good, with Tennis being the most played of the three.

Tennis is a great game, and is really good for getting used to the Wiimote. The controls are simple, and I didn't even have to adjust. I just picked up and smashed away. As it stands, I was not very good at Wii Sports Tennis, and the only thing I could do consistantly well, was hit power serves every serve. The game is great for two player, and would have been even better with four. I would put this as the #2 game in Wii Sports.

Bowling... ahh, bowling. This is probably the most enjoyable Wii Sports game of the lot. I was addicted to it, and while I only got a few chances to play it, I rocked it hard, and managed a 168 after about 3 shots at it. The curve that you get is very easy to control, despite what I saw in the GameSpot video, in which they couldn't manage to curve it right. I had no problems curving it right, but righties do get a lot of left-curve without even trying. #1 Wii Sports game for sure.

The only other game I was able to play, was Baseball. What can I say about this game? Well, I didn't like it at all. Rather than being fun and silly, it was just downright frustrating. After hearing that voice say "Foul Ball" for about the 100th time, and our consecutive 0 run innings, we gave up on it. My mate managed to hit a few homers off of me, but I was pitching slow curve balls, thinking they would do anything. Honestly, the only 2 pitches worth using, are the fastball, and the splitter. After that, the game is Home Run or bust. If you hit a big slugger, but it doesn't net you a homer, it's gonna be caught. Overall, Baseball just wasn't fun at all. Without even playing Golf or Boxing, I would put this at #5, just because I didn't enjoy myself.

The Wii itself was glorious and beautiful, and we did encounter one slightly worrying problem, and that was, when the genius guy in charge of the console decided to return to the main menu, the controllers suddenly became de-synced. I spent a good 30 minutes trying to tell him how to resync them, and even then I wasn't entirely sure I knew what I was doing. For anyone who is interested in giving the Wii a shot at these stands, go in with the assumption that the controllers will be chained to a weight. This was the most irritating part, was that one of the controllers had a huge cord coming from it, stuck to a weight on the ground. The cord attached to the other Wiimote must have broken, as that was without a cord, and was the favourite for everyone. It's really hard trying to rock out in Tennis, when you're getting caught on a cord and whacking yourself in the head.

To conclude, it was a damn fun time, and I wish I was still there. I am completely reassured of my pre-order, and I will now be seeing the Wii in my dreams until launch day. Hopefully I can finish my last assessment before then, which is actually due on the same day the Wii is released. Could be a major distraction.

Well, I hope you guys got something out of reading this, and I'm sorry if I bored you, or if this doesn't interest you. Just thought I'd share my opinions. This is in fact, the first time I've held a Wiimote, and I couldn't contain myself. Go check out your local Myer's, Target's, TRU's, etc. to see if they have a demo console up. It's worth exploring to find one.

Cheers
Flip

God I wish they came to Canberra I'm looking forward to bowling even more and Flip just so you Excite Truck isn't a launch title

Monkey Ball?! I wish Mario Galaxy (temporary name) was a launch title! Im starting to imagine mario an his echoing voice in nintendos heads.... Its Meeeeeeeeee Mario! hahahahaha! *CHOP*... wouldnt like to be nintendo right now, cheack out my sig, mario can be so evil!

Sam_Harris said:
God I wish they came to Canberra I'm looking forward to bowling even more and Flip just so you Excite Truck isn't a launch title
It was when I pre-ordered it ages ago. And when I asked on these forums. I heard about some stupid delay for Europe, but I didn't realise Australia was affected aswell.

Kosh1and2 said:
Bad news guys, went to pay off my pre order today at E2 Games and found out that Need For Speed Carbon has been delayed a week in Australia. I know a week isn't long...
Oh floogly, a week is long enough for us Toys R Us People :frown2:

ExciteTruck. To bad its delayed. Not that I had enough money to buy it anyway, im getting Monkeyball and Rayman, then saving for WarioWare Inc.

nkbswe5 said:
Oh floogly, a week is long enough for us Toys R Us People :frown2:
????

Anyhooo... I wonder what'll happen with me I got some deal that includes NFS: Carbon will they just send it out to me or something?? or will they give everything i want for my wii (hey ican dream can't I).

I was looking forward to NFS:Crbon and this is coming from someone who does't get excited about car games.... owell Twilight Princess

Yeah I'm hoping if I can't get it there and then to ask if I can change it for another game probably can because they now me to well at EB the dude remembers everything like didn't need the computer just takes nmy money wait hey whats going on:confused:

Ok. I went to EB today to pre-order Rayman, and while I was there, I asked about Excite Truck. They said it was not a launch title, so I guess I owe you guys an apology. They also told me that DBZ was not a launch title either. So now my 5 game launch line-up has turned into a measly 3. But after playing Wii Sports, I am really glad that it is included with the Wii, as I consider it worth the price of a full game, and I will now count that as one of my 4 launch games.

Well, you probably already knew that, but I thought I'd tell you what the story is, straight from the horses mouth.

In other news, I will probably be heading down to EB today to pre-order 2 more controllers. (Wiimote + Nunchuck = Controller) Hopefully they'll give me all of them on launch day, and everything will be good.

Yeah I've updated my pre order with nunchuck VC controller and points and still have $180 left might buy myself Pokemon ranger seems like a good game oh just had thought maybe Metroid away to the shops !!!

More than 30,000 Aussies pre-order Wii​
03 Dec 2006 - Wii looks set to be Australia's fastest-selling gaming console ever.

Nintendo's Wii is four days away from its debut in Australia, and according to the Sunday Herald Sun, more than 30,000 Australians have placed pre-orders, guaranteeing them a unit on day one.

"Wii gets gamers off the couch," Nintendo Australia's resident PR Manager, Vispi Bhopti, told the newspaper. "Gaming is no longer about just sitting and watching. Expect to work up a sweat."

He added, "We expect demand will outweigh supply and that there will be a few more 'sickies' than usual on Thursday."

Microsoft's Xbox 360 sold about 30,000 units during its first four days of sale in March this year, including pre-orders and off-the-shelf sales. Last week, Nintendo explained in a statement, "Australian retail feedback suggests Wii is heading towards being the biggest launch of any new video games system in history."

Make sure you stick to A-N once you've grabbed yours, as we find out exactly how successful the white horse has been!

Source: Aussie-nintendo.com

Hmmmm... sounds good to me I reckon we'll get maybe 35,000-45,000 wiis on launch day so you should be able to get one if you've preorder. I can't ****ing wait

Last edited:
I have $40 left, and if EB price match ill get $50 store credit. Probably preorder DBZ on wii.

Lol deity link I just finished reading the article that Aussie-Nintendo where talking about I hope people will be able to get a Wii without a pre order would make it better for word of mouth advertising like people would say try my new Wii people would say wow this is cool and it cheaps I shall purchase this product of home equity loan with full confidence

Ok this might be from watching a bit to much of the ashes but I reckon a wii cricket game could work quite well don't know about bowling but batting would work.... hmmmm.... EA will jump on this soon enough

Back